Off topic: MARIA CALLAS,FRANCO ZEFFIRELLI,JEREMY IRONS AND FANNY ARDANT...
Thread poster: MikeGarcia
MikeGarcia
MikeGarcia  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 17, 2002

Last night, here in the wonderful Málaga, I went to the cinema and saw \" Callas Forever \" an incredible recreation of Maria Callas\' last days before she died of love-sickness on the 15 th September 1977.Fanny Ardant\'s impersonation of Callas is so fantastic I can only say it\'s almost impossible to distinguish between the real thing and the actress.Jeremy Iron is his usual, talented, good-looking self, and Franco Zeffirelli has achieved an impeccable hommage to the greatest female operistic... See more
Last night, here in the wonderful Málaga, I went to the cinema and saw \" Callas Forever \" an incredible recreation of Maria Callas\' last days before she died of love-sickness on the 15 th September 1977.Fanny Ardant\'s impersonation of Callas is so fantastic I can only say it\'s almost impossible to distinguish between the real thing and the actress.Jeremy Iron is his usual, talented, good-looking self, and Franco Zeffirelli has achieved an impeccable hommage to the greatest female operistic voice of all times, the great hystrionic greek goddess of scenarios and cammerinos.

Not to say the absolute wonderfulness of the music by itself, plus a roumanian young actor with the most velouté eyes I\'ve ever seen in my life ( almost as veloutés as those of prozian pin-up gal Guillermina Canale ) who plays the part of Escamillo when they are recreating Bizet\'s Carmen.

To all my prozian colleagues who care for art in its most formidable expression, DO NOT miss this film.....

MGU
[addsig]
Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks, I'll look forward to it when it gets to the Netherlands Nov 17, 2002

Thanks for the tip!

Fortunately, unlike in Germany where they dub everything, in Holland I can double check via the subtitles, so I won\'t miss anything in the original language. Meaning, my command of French is not quite good enough if the lines are delivered too fast. However, since Jeremy Irons is British, the movie is probably in English, and was subsequently probably dubbed in Spanish.

The film version is no doubt more romantic and probably not even close to t
... See more
Thanks for the tip!

Fortunately, unlike in Germany where they dub everything, in Holland I can double check via the subtitles, so I won\'t miss anything in the original language. Meaning, my command of French is not quite good enough if the lines are delivered too fast. However, since Jeremy Irons is British, the movie is probably in English, and was subsequently probably dubbed in Spanish.

The film version is no doubt more romantic and probably not even close to the truth, but heck, it makes for good watching \'esta personita humana\'!

I\'m not even sure if Maria really died of love sickness. Not so long ago, I read a report by a doctor who treated here for some degenerative muscle disease during the last years of her life, which first affected her voice cords and then also the heart muscle. That is at least the medical reason as to why she died at a young age.

But Maria\'s voice was indeed beautiful, too bad she had to end up with Onassis, who was a rich twerp!

Regards,

Marijke
Collapse

MikeGarcia
MikeGarcia  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
GUTEN MORGEN,MARIJKE. Nov 18, 2002

Thanks for commenting on my posting,Marijke. You may probably be right, and Madame Callas\' cause of death, at least the inmediate one, was a muscle disease. But that is a sheer surface - explained cause. She died of love because she loved her voice, and had lost it, she loved Onassis and had lost him fighting an unwinnable fight against the tortuous and calculating Jackie Kennedy, née Lee Bouvier, she loved life and WAS loing it.

That, at least, is my opinion. Please. do go and see t
... See more
Thanks for commenting on my posting,Marijke. You may probably be right, and Madame Callas\' cause of death, at least the inmediate one, was a muscle disease. But that is a sheer surface - explained cause. She died of love because she loved her voice, and had lost it, she loved Onassis and had lost him fighting an unwinnable fight against the tortuous and calculating Jackie Kennedy, née Lee Bouvier, she loved life and WAS loing it.

That, at least, is my opinion. Please. do go and see the film, I re - saw it last night and will re-re see it tonight. And that will be enough, I imagine. But there is too much art, humanity, drama and magnificent music in Zeffirelli\'s oeuvre d\'art to be absolutely sure if I won\'t need to go again. It all depends on how one\'s life is following its course, ma chére amie.

And may I wish you a good, day, week,month, in beautiful Amsterdam or wherever you are in beautiful Holland. Everything is smaller and prettier over there, as in Copenhagen and Denmark.

Best regards,

MGU.-
[addsig]
Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Buenos tardes Nov 18, 2002

Muy passionado! Yes, I\'m sure \'amore\', or the lack of it, had something to do with her dying young.

You wrote in German, not Dutch, but never mind, I read that too. My Spanish is not too good, but I like it all the same. The movie hasn\'t gotten to the Netherlands as yet (no doubt as they have enough movies of their own to plug, but if I wanted to see the movie now I could go to Brussels, about 2 hours away. In the meantime I can order the CD through a website in Belgium, as the mu
... See more
Muy passionado! Yes, I\'m sure \'amore\', or the lack of it, had something to do with her dying young.

You wrote in German, not Dutch, but never mind, I read that too. My Spanish is not too good, but I like it all the same. The movie hasn\'t gotten to the Netherlands as yet (no doubt as they have enough movies of their own to plug, but if I wanted to see the movie now I could go to Brussels, about 2 hours away. In the meantime I can order the CD through a website in Belgium, as the music must be good: it better be!

Arriverderci!

Marijke

Collapse

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Kalogeropoulos Lover Nov 29, 2002

Hi Miguel !

Many thanks for your nice words about Maria Callas.

I have not seen as yet the Zefirelli’s motion picture in Barcelona because it is very hard here to see it in V.O (i.e. in French) and I can hardly imagine Fanny Ardant dubbed in Spanish…

I do think that Zefirelli could not have made better choice than Fanny Ardant to impersonate Maria Callas’ character… She is so sensible, nervous, fragile, versatile, and her own voice is very far of
... See more
Hi Miguel !

Many thanks for your nice words about Maria Callas.

I have not seen as yet the Zefirelli’s motion picture in Barcelona because it is very hard here to see it in V.O (i.e. in French) and I can hardly imagine Fanny Ardant dubbed in Spanish…

I do think that Zefirelli could not have made better choice than Fanny Ardant to impersonate Maria Callas’ character… She is so sensible, nervous, fragile, versatile, and her own voice is very far of any possibility of imitation.

Sorry for my poor English in these circumstances – I would like to express much and many more – but Maria Callas is a kind of goddess for me…

Everybody knows in Paris that she died from loneliness, abandonment and love frustration.

They say that, on its last days she was listening, alone, to her recordings…

I am confident that Franco Zefirelli has not betrayed her. Remember his version of “La Traviatta” ?

One tip: if you do love “La Callas” and can read French, please read her biography:

“Callas – Une Vie” written by Pierre Jean Remy (editorial “Ramsay”). I know that there is a bunch of Callas’ biography but this one is particularly accurate and sensible.

Friendly your,

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MARIA CALLAS,FRANCO ZEFFIRELLI,JEREMY IRONS AND FANNY ARDANT...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »