Off topic: Daylight Saving Time and a lesson in grammar
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:23
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Mar 4, 2007

Daylight Saving Time schedule has changed and, starting this year, it will begin on the second Sunday in March, rather than in April. This year that date is March 11.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the government deemed it necessary to include an explanation in this page about the correctness of the expression "Daylight Saving Time" versus "Daylight Savings Time".

See for yourselves and remember to set your clocks forward one hour next Saturday night.

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
not in Arizona, USA Mar 4, 2007

Dear Luisa,
Thanks for the reminder (both about clocks and grammar).

However, here in Arizona (USA), we have so much daylight (sunlight) that the powers-that-be decided to thumb their collective nose at the notion, and we are on "standard time" year around... causing lots of confusion! (For example, the Navajo Indian reservation, a large chunk of the state, does observe DST.)

I always enjoyed the "spring forward" into Spring that daylight saving time gives us, but now I forego that for a gradual lengthening in each direction until I'm rising at the unholy hour of 4:30 a.m. !
Best,
Patricia

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 13:23
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Confusing issue... Mar 4, 2007

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Daylight Saving Time schedule has changed and, starting this year, it will begin on the second Sunday in March, rather than in April. This year that date is March 11.

I appreciate your point is really about the grammar, Luisa, but thought I would just put a little rider in here!

You mention DST schedule as if it were universal. I find it very important to always mention the country we are referring to as well, since there are very many different national standards. I know it took me only a quick glance at your name to the side to see that you were refering to US, but not everyone may do that!

Here in Europe we begin DST on the last Sunday in March. I come from New Zealand, and there they go OFF DST on the third Sunday in March, which means we have to remember a two week period when our two countries are not in regular sync!

Please understand this was not a criticism of your posting, Luisa, which I thought was very interesting and worthwhile. And you gave us a very useful link! Thanks! This one will be of interest to those of us outside US:
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/g.html

Bill

[Edited at 2007-03-04 09:03]

[Edited at 2007-03-04 10:13]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Point well taken Mar 4, 2007

Thanks for clarifying the issue, Bill.

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 08:23
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, thanks, Luisa and Bill Mar 4, 2007

William [Bill] Gray wrote:

I find it very important to always mention the country we are referring to as well, since there are very many different national standards. ...

Here in Europe we begin DST on the last Sunday in March. I come from New Zealand, and there they go OFF DST on the third Sunday in March, which means we have to remember a two week period when our two countries are not in regular sync!

Your posting, Luisa, ...I thought was very interesting and worthwhile. And you gave us a very useful link! Thanks! This one will be of interest to those of us outside US:
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/g.html

Bill

Thank you, Luisa and Bill, for a very interesting topic, worthwhile comments, and a couple of handy links. I'll bet everyone who clicked on this forum learned something new today!

Jane

(¡Saludos desde Puerto Rico, Luisa!)

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
English to Spanish
+ ...
"...sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Mar 5, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

Thank you, Luisa and Bill, for a very interesting topic, worthwhile comments, and a couple of handy links. I'll bet everyone who clicked on this forum learned something new today!

Jane

(¡Saludos desde Puerto Rico, Luisa!)

I sure did learn something, and even before I my morning coffee

Seriously, thanks for the link, Luisa, it's nice to know the "powers that be" care enough about grammar and spelling to actually make it a point to explain the confusion. BTW, I'd always heard it referred to as "Daylight Savings Time", and I wondered if it was correct. Now I know!

Thank you too, Bill!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Daylight Saving Time and a lesson in grammar

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search