https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/71782-kudoz_leaders_aka_bartek_slipped_the_last_3_months.html

Off topic: Kudoz leaders aka Bartek slipped the last 3 months!?
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 19:37
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 29, 2007

Oh me oh my, she's slipped off the top 20 ....Don't tell me, my Polish colleagues started to used CDROMs instead of her?! - How heartless ...

And Henry Hinds? He's off the tops as well. No more Spanish to English translations needed in US?!

Henry, time to start on the English to Spanish path.

The kiddie league is with you all the way....

[Edited at 2007-04-29 23:23]

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:37
French to Spanish
+ ...
Never understood... Apr 30, 2007

...the huge amount of Kudoz points from leaders.
Right now: head leader has 9368 points in a year / 365 = 25.66 points per day = 6.40 awarded answers per day (4 points answers), if I'm right.
Gee, how do they do that?! I've just earned 2500 points in... 6 years, or so!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't worry, Vito Apr 30, 2007

I'm still in good shape on both paths between English and Spanish. And, yes, translation for those is still needed in the US more than ever.

Of course I spend a bit of time on other things too, either working hard to make a living or if not, then traveling, when my contributions here can be much more sporadic. In fact I'm on the road again right now!

I was just thinking that if I want to be on the road I'd best do it now, because in a few years the fuel will be so expen
... See more
I'm still in good shape on both paths between English and Spanish. And, yes, translation for those is still needed in the US more than ever.

Of course I spend a bit of time on other things too, either working hard to make a living or if not, then traveling, when my contributions here can be much more sporadic. In fact I'm on the road again right now!

I was just thinking that if I want to be on the road I'd best do it now, because in a few years the fuel will be so expensive I might as well junk my vehicle. So I am determined to turn it into junk by the time that happens.
Collapse

SlawekW
SlawekW
English to Polish
+ ...
just what exactly... Apr 30, 2007

is your problem, Vito?;)

if you define it better, good people will find it easier to help you!

[Edited at 2007-04-30 21:15]

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Vito ... Apr 30, 2007

... the inscrutability of your post is surely intentional. I must congratulate you on your admirable success in having succeeded so completely in concealing your deeper purpose beneath the mask of a seemingly childish and spiteful attack upon fellow members of this community. What luck that the moderators are more perceptive than I, to have sought out and understood the hidden meanings in a text so heavily coded that I would have thought it would puzzle the great Dan Brown himself.

... See more
... the inscrutability of your post is surely intentional. I must congratulate you on your admirable success in having succeeded so completely in concealing your deeper purpose beneath the mask of a seemingly childish and spiteful attack upon fellow members of this community. What luck that the moderators are more perceptive than I, to have sought out and understood the hidden meanings in a text so heavily coded that I would have thought it would puzzle the great Dan Brown himself.

Caryl

[Edited at 2007-04-30 22:22]
Collapse

Iwona Szymaniak
Iwona Szymaniak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Don't think you have to bother to respond... Apr 30, 2007

Henry Hinds wrote:

it is a nasty attack. You want to prompt answers to fellow translators -- fine. You want to be on the road -- good. It is your business, and only yours, and Vito's nose does not have to be poked into it.
I am disgusted with your comments, Vito.

I was just thinking that if I want to be on the road I'd best do it now, because in a few years the fuel will be so expensive I might as well junk my vehicle. So I am determined to turn it into junk by the time that happens.

Man, come to drive to Europe and you'll learn what expensive fuel is. The US is still a driver's paradise. Have just come back. The price you pay per 1 gallon (3.8 l) we pay per 1 liter. No kidding!

Cheers,

Iwona

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Feriunt summos fulgura montes May 1, 2007

If I hurt any feelings, I apologize. It was definitely not meant ad hominem - I admire anybody, who's ready to offer such an awesome amount of her or his time to the benefit of us all.

I spend on average at least five minutes on any answer I dare to offer in my language pairs - the kiddie league, as I termed it, when compared with the big-time language pair league of KudoZ leaders. That would mean about 115 days of my life at 24/7/365, were I at the level of the #1 PRO answerer. <
... See more
If I hurt any feelings, I apologize. It was definitely not meant ad hominem - I admire anybody, who's ready to offer such an awesome amount of her or his time to the benefit of us all.

I spend on average at least five minutes on any answer I dare to offer in my language pairs - the kiddie league, as I termed it, when compared with the big-time language pair league of KudoZ leaders. That would mean about 115 days of my life at 24/7/365, were I at the level of the #1 PRO answerer.

So, either I am slow like a snail, or I answer questions, which need per se more time.

regards

Vito
Collapse

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thinking out loud May 1, 2007

I guess I understand what you are saying, Vito. We are comparing apples to oranges, that's for sure, in terms of language pairs and leader scores. In many pairs, there will never be enough questions asked for anyone to become a leader, so a different scoring method that takes into account the actual number of questions asked in each pair might be a better indicator of a leader, rather than the total of KudoZ points obtained.

That said, I just wasn't sure how to read your original
... See more
I guess I understand what you are saying, Vito. We are comparing apples to oranges, that's for sure, in terms of language pairs and leader scores. In many pairs, there will never be enough questions asked for anyone to become a leader, so a different scoring method that takes into account the actual number of questions asked in each pair might be a better indicator of a leader, rather than the total of KudoZ points obtained.

That said, I just wasn't sure how to read your original post. In fact, I thought that it was quite tactless considering that something might have happened to the leaders mentioned, in their personal lives, etc. There is no need for them to offer explanations, is there?

[Edited at 2007-05-01 10:01]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
My contributions are sometimes... May 1, 2007

...a negative reference for somebody who's supposed to make his living by translating: if I can't get my own thoughts across, oh me oh my...

Re apples and oranges, again, I appreciate them both, believe me. It's just those top lists on the home page (sigh), they are there to be noticed, I assume.

Eventually, as Fredrick the Great ruled, "Jedem Tierchen sein Pläsierchen" - "Each animal should have his own pleasures."

Regards

Vito

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
what's your problem Vito? May 1, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:
Don't tell me, my Polish colleagues started to used CDROMs instead of her?! - How heartless ...

just unbelievable...!!! how impolite!!!

Ewa

Iwona Szymaniak
Iwona Szymaniak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hard time understanding your intentions May 2, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

If it wasn't meant as personam...

we probably are not qualified enough to read your mind.

I couldn't sense any admiration for bartek's knowledge and readiness to offer help in your post.

Regards,

Iwona

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz leaders aka Bartek slipped the last 3 months!?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »