Off topic: All in a day's work!
Thread poster: Darrell Champlin
Darrell Champlin
Darrell Champlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 1, 2007

Once upon a time there was Trados 7 (fairly recently, actually) running on good old (never thought I'd say that) Windows XP and Office 2003. Now there's Trados 2007, Windows Vista and Office 2007. Running the latter on a quite powerful machine, last Sunday I had about 50 words in the tail-end of a document to translate. They were all 100% matches, so I "Fuzzy Translated" them. While it was processing, I got up, closed the office windows and curtains, put my shoes back on (getting ready to go hom... See more
Once upon a time there was Trados 7 (fairly recently, actually) running on good old (never thought I'd say that) Windows XP and Office 2003. Now there's Trados 2007, Windows Vista and Office 2007. Running the latter on a quite powerful machine, last Sunday I had about 50 words in the tail-end of a document to translate. They were all 100% matches, so I "Fuzzy Translated" them. While it was processing, I got up, closed the office windows and curtains, put my shoes back on (getting ready to go home, you see), turned the air conditioner off (and the stereo), brushed my teeth, packed by backpack, came back and sat down to wait for it to finish! NO KIDDING!

[Edited at 2007-05-01 21:34]

[Edited at 2007-05-01 21:35]

[Edited at 2007-05-01 21:36]
Collapse

Rui de Carvalho
Rui de Carvalho  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
moral of the story May 1, 2007

Never use any software before it has been for at least three years in the market.

hind goubet
hind goubet
France
Local time: 06:40
Arabic to French
+ ...
what's a pity May 2, 2007

what's a pity that i do not speak English very well.
I would like discuss with you about Trados2007...
I am a new translator. But i do not know why translators use trados, to do what?
I love translating and it seems a good idea to me to do it my job after i had my daughter(15 months) but i think that i have a lot of thinks to learn.

Marsha Way
Marsha Way  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
And another moral is... May 2, 2007

that it took you longer to wait for Trados than to do it yourself, yet we get paid less per word for these matches! Am I the only one who thinks that's unfair?

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Agree with Marsha May 2, 2007

That's why I added a sentence in my profile.

Anyways, I'm not looking for new clients and if someone wants to work with me... I paid for CAT tool. The client didn't.

It's for my profit and client's profit is in the form of quality not price-reduction. When I say quality, I mean the fact that I do not mess up numbers, there is consistency in terminology, I do not miss a sentence that is there in the original text...

Regards,

Ritu

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:40
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Darrell May 2, 2007

I've heard the latest software are very clever and sensitive. Maybe it was just following you and waiting until you return to the computer, and then only started processing the text:)

Marsha Way
Marsha Way  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like that theory, Henrik! May 2, 2007

It is like our office co-workers; it does not start working until its superior is watching. Is work completed when no one is watching really work completed? If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it ...

I looked at your profile Ritu and have considered adding something similar! It is for consistency, not discounts, since sometimes I feel those tools take away fluency from my work.

[Edited at 2007-05-02 09:56]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:40
English to French
+ ...
I'm 100% with you, Marsha May 2, 2007

One of my good clients who used to not ask for any CAT tool and paid all words at full price (an endangered species, indeed!) just started asking their service providers if they have and use Trados and to describe our experiences with it. I took the opportunity to explain to them why Trados may not be the best choice and also try to reason them so they don't start with the fuzzy match rates. I know they appreciate me and I told them that I am not open to CAT tool price schemes, except for repeti... See more
One of my good clients who used to not ask for any CAT tool and paid all words at full price (an endangered species, indeed!) just started asking their service providers if they have and use Trados and to describe our experiences with it. I took the opportunity to explain to them why Trados may not be the best choice and also try to reason them so they don't start with the fuzzy match rates. I know they appreciate me and I told them that I am not open to CAT tool price schemes, except for repetitions which I am willing to give away free. I explained that by paying all words at full rate, they are still getting a lot of advantages because I offer them Trados bilingual files, TTXs and TMXs, and the usual advantages CAT users know. I also reminded them politely that I am the one who pays for my copy of Trados, and that I didn't invest money so someone else can get the return on MY investment. Of course, all this was wrapped up nicely with fancy paper and a bow.

We'll see what happens...
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Take a gander through our forums! May 2, 2007

hind goubet wrote:

what's a pity that i do not speak English very well.
I would like discuss with you about Trados2007...
I am a new translator. But i do not know why translators use trados, to do what?
I love translating and it seems a good idea to me to do it my job after i had my daughter(15 months) but i think that i have a lot of thinks to learn.

Hi hind goubet,

Welcome!

Trados, as you've noticed, is the object of a great deal of discussion here on ProZ.com forums.

Indeed, there is a forum dedicated to Trados itself, in English.

There could well be a discussion in one of your languages, too; try the advanced search feature which allows you to filter down to the languages you prefer to read.

Happy reading!

Nancy

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

free repetitions May 2, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

except for repetitions which I am willing to give away free.

Careful!

I offered this to a client, then discovered that when translating cookbooks... all those 1/4 tsps, etc., needed to be edited manually, what an onerous task!

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All in a day's work!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »