Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Interpreter in the news - tragic story
Thread poster: Tina Colquhoun

Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:28
Danish to English
+ ...
May 15, 2007

This isn't a funny story at all, but it's not often you see a translator in the news:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article1790552.ece

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-05-15 18:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
He isn't a translator.....he's a property developer May 15, 2007

Tina Colquhoun wrote:

This isn't a funny story at all, but it's not often you see a translator in the news:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article1790552.ece

His declared profession is "property developer" ...anyone bilingual helping out cannot really be considered a translator or, for that matter, an interpreter That's the point that all professional translators constrantly try to get across, knowing 2 languages doesn't make you a translator.

He was either genuinely willing to help and/or fancied feeling important ... or he is acting suspiciously (as suspected by teh UK journalist who notified Leicesterhsire police about him).

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:28
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
rather the interpretor May 15, 2007

or did he run around typing on a keyboard?
Cheers
Heinrich

Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Potato - potato May 15, 2007

No one can ever tell the difference...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
or maybe... May 15, 2007

the interpreter?

anyway, this is quite a terrible story to make jokes about...

G

[Edited at 2007-05-15 11:39]

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:28
Spanish to English
I don't agree with this May 15, 2007

I have to say that I don't agree with publishing the names of people being interviewed in a case like this. Even if he had been charged, he is innocent until he is proved guilty. It is not in the public interest to know this and the poor man, I'm assuming he is innocent as we all should, has just had his life ruined.

I do hope the child is found alive and well, but why contribute to ruining other lives?

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ruining other lives May 15, 2007

In response to Lesley's posting, it seems to me a) that "interpreter" himself is to blame for this and b) who expects the media to behave in an ethical manner?

From what I read, the allegedly interpreter gave interviews on behalf of the parents, he introduced himself to the media and told several other people that he was officially asked to be the interpreter in this case. Although I am no friend of reporters who try to make a story out of everything they encounter, I can hardly see how to blame them for this.

All I can see is that somebody is trying to grab attention by taking advantage of other's misfortune.

Sonja

[Bearbeitet am 2007-05-15 12:34]

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Agree with you Lesley May 15, 2007

Lesley Clarke wrote:

I have to say that I don't agree with publishing the names of people being interviewed in a case like this. Even if he had been charged, he is innocent until he is proved guilty. It is not in the public interest to know this and the poor man, I'm assuming he is innocent as we all should, has just had his life ruined.

I do hope the child is found alive and well, but why contribute to ruining other lives?

Couldn't agree more. It's a terrible story and I'm sure a lot of people are secretly hoping it IS him just to get to the bottom of the mystery, but he may well turn out to be completely innocent, well after his reputation has been tarnished and his name has been tossed around all over the press.

Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Raskolnikov May 15, 2007

Apart from the fact that, as Nesrin says, everyone wants to solve the case, I think the British press are also now very aware of/alert to people who 'introduce' themselves to the media, give interviews and generally try to get involved. It's what Ian Huntley did - a kind of Raskolnikov syndrome.

[Edited at 2007-05-15 15:00]

Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Perhaps he DID do some translation... May 15, 2007

...e.g. of statements and interviews, in which case this would be highly embarrassing for the authorities - and press! - involved. Imagine he turns out to be guilty? Surely then any work he might have carried out in an official role would be worthless? Which just goes to show that Lia is absolutely correct about the danger of people using professional job titles in spite of having no professional background.

Tina, I too thought of Ian Huntley right away. Whatever the outcome, isn't it quite awful how we all, more or less unwillingly, tend to take part in the 'trial by media' these days? I do believe there are some issues of great importance to us all here, so thanks for starting this thread.

[Edited at 2007-05-15 14:56]

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
An interesting thread, but unfortunately maybe not so light... May 15, 2007

Pernille Chapman wrote:

I do believe there are some issues of great importance to us all here, so thanks for starting this thread.

[Edited at 2007-05-15 14:56]

I agree with Pernille about the importance of the issues which might be discussed based upon this thread, but I would have preferred to see it under another title... The event at the beginning of the whole story is so tragic that I find a little bit inappropriate to start it with a pun, however witty it may be - I would have enjoyed the sense of humor with any other subject but, sorry, not when a child is involved, and in such a worrying story. Don't take it personal, Tina, of course... but what would you think of eventually modifying the title?

Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Off topic May 15, 2007

Sorry, I actually thought that 'Lighter side/Off topic' were one category. I meant it to be an 'Off topic', not 'light' thread.

However, just to make it doubly clear, my point had nothing to do with the core of the case itself (which is horrific as I'm sure we all agree), but about the translator who, guilty or not, seems to be 'doing a Huntley' by being attracted to the misery of others/the media circus/attention/the opportunity to be important.

Maybe a moderator can move the thread to Off topic...?

[Edited at 2007-05-15 17:05]

Béatrice Leclercq  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
I fully agree with Gilda (and with Giovanni) May 15, 2007

Hello dear colleagues,

I often read all kinds of forum threads, but rarely take part in the discussions. In this matter, I also think it would be appropriate to

a) move it to "off topic", and
b) change the title of the thread.

Of course the fact that some apparently non-qualified "translator" worked for the police in such a highly sensitive case leads to a lot of questions and should be discussed.

But we should also be aware of the fact that the case is far from being solved until now, so maybe it is a little early to discuss those secondary things.

It feels kind of strange to talk about these things at the moment when they are actually happening, that is, a child is missing, no one knows what has happened to the girl, the parents can't do anything but wait and hope, and we discuss about the question if the suspect is to be called a translator or an interpreter, if his name should be announced or not...

Of course I appreciate all contributions from my colleagues, may it be here or in other threads, so please don't get me wrong, I don't want to offend anybody.

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 17:28
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator's response May 15, 2007

In response to the posts in this thread, I have changed the title and moved the thread to the Off-Topic forum.

Nancy

Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Titles May 15, 2007

Dear Nancy

Thank you for reposting the thread in the Off topic forum.

However, I do object to your changing my title without asking me first.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreter in the news - tragic story

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search