Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: Do you have a pet in your home?
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:09
Czech to German
+ ...
May 23, 2007

Hi all,

the high number of answers to the posting about cats and printers (http://www.proz.com/topic/73564) is leading me to the question whether translators might be more fond of pets than other professionals.
It seems that especially cats are just the best sort of pets for a person working at home, being very independent (well, sometimes too much) and not needing to go walkies, more
... See more
Hi all,

the high number of answers to the posting about cats and printers (http://www.proz.com/topic/73564) is leading me to the question whether translators might be more fond of pets than other professionals.
It seems that especially cats are just the best sort of pets for a person working at home, being very independent (well, sometimes too much) and not needing to go walkies, moreover they are intelligent and small enough to examine everything on your desk like keyboards, printers etc.
But of course there are many more animals you may have in your home such as fish, dogs, birds, snakes, spiders...

Charlotte
Collapse

Clelia Tarasco
Clelia Tarasco  Identity Verified
English to Italian
In memoriam
I Have! May 23, 2007

Have a look at my profile to sse her!!

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a pet but a teddy dog :-)) May 23, 2007

I never cared very much about dogs, but after 21 years my daughter convinced me to buy one and.. here he is.

Tough breed! The first year was a nightmare, I used to call him 'Delete' or 'Nefausto' (instead of Fausto) -self-explanatory nicknames- but those days are gone (as all the things he managed to eat )

Au

This is the guy:
... See more
I never cared very much about dogs, but after 21 years my daughter convinced me to buy one and.. here he is.

Tough breed! The first year was a nightmare, I used to call him 'Delete' or 'Nefausto' (instead of Fausto) -self-explanatory nicknames- but those days are gone (as all the things he managed to eat )

Au

This is the guy:

[Edited at 2007-05-23 13:45]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
2 cats and 2 dogs May 23, 2007

I had three dogs,
but my 12 years old German Sheperd died last February leaving me and my family very sorrow,
right now I have his picture on my desk.

We really had a wonderful love affair with him

Angioletta

[Edited at 2007-05-23 17:04]

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:09
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Just an occasional visitor May 23, 2007

Charlotte Blank wrote:
It seems that especially cats are just the best sort of pets for a person working at home, being very independent (well, sometimes too much) and not needing to go walkies,

Maybe for a person working at home it would actually be perfect to have a pet which does need to go walkies - thus forcing you to leave your desk every now and again for a short walk.

Anyway, I for one don't have any pets (wouldn't want one either as I tend to travel fairly frequently), but there is this cat which comes and visits me - at the moment almost daily - for a bowl of milk and a bit of playful banter in the garden. It can be quite insistent actually - when I'm downstairs in the living room with the back door closed it starts meeowing and even "knocks" at the window until I come out into the garden.

Fascinated My little friend

[Edited at 2007-05-23 23:42]

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Guinea pig and goldfish May 23, 2007

We bought them because the children wanted to have a pet to care for, but we got to like them too.
The guinea pig's cage is near to my desk, so I have a little company while I'm at work.
They all have names, even the fish - the kids insisted on that.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
My "printer-friendly" cat May 23, 2007

As I said yesterday, I have a "printer-friendly" cat (4 years old)

Here she is, watching us play Trivial Pursuit!

I also have a rabbit (2 years old), but I don't have a picture of him at the moment...

[Edited at 2007-05-23 14:16]

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Two dogs May 23, 2007

I have two dogs, both if whom I found on the streets when living in Italy and then brought back to England when I moved back here. They're great company and the fact that they need walkies is good because it means that I actually get some exercise instead of just sitting at my desk all day.
Here they are looking very relaxed:

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:09
English to Greek
+ ...
I have two dogs... May 23, 2007

...Sassy and Benny. Sassy was given to us shortly after she was born; she fit in the palm of my hand, back then, and it has been 14 years. She is an unlikely cross between a poodle and a Yorkie! (The Yorkie was the father

Benny was a stray, who caught at my heartstrings. I gave him a home Christmas before last. He is white, of indeterminate breed and we adore him as much as he adores us.

They are both surgically attached to my ankles. The minute I get up to go anywhere,
... See more
...Sassy and Benny. Sassy was given to us shortly after she was born; she fit in the palm of my hand, back then, and it has been 14 years. She is an unlikely cross between a poodle and a Yorkie! (The Yorkie was the father

Benny was a stray, who caught at my heartstrings. I gave him a home Christmas before last. He is white, of indeterminate breed and we adore him as much as he adores us.

They are both surgically attached to my ankles. The minute I get up to go anywhere, they are up and ready to go!

I love them both to bits and they give me a great opportunity to get up and go for a walk, so I can stretch, after hours of sitting in front of the computer.

Lina

P.S. The dog in my avatar picture is not one of mine!!! It is my cousin's maltese, and her name is Jasmine.

[Edited at 2007-05-23 14:20]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Try this May 23, 2007

http://www.proz.com/post/303863
It's in the Russian forum, but it consists more of photos of translators' pets than anything else, so even if you don't know Russian, it might be worth a look.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not an animal person... May 23, 2007

Dogs and cats are cute, but keep them out of my apartment, please! I grew up in the country and had a dog and a bunch of cats, and after I moved to the city I still had cats for awhile, but then got to the point where I really didn't like them much any more.

Later on I got birds (parakeets, cockatiels, finches, lovebirds, etc.) because my younger daughter liked them, and I got so I liked them too, except for the lovebird who ate my pay check!

I have four teddy bears, w
... See more
Dogs and cats are cute, but keep them out of my apartment, please! I grew up in the country and had a dog and a bunch of cats, and after I moved to the city I still had cats for awhile, but then got to the point where I really didn't like them much any more.

Later on I got birds (parakeets, cockatiels, finches, lovebirds, etc.) because my younger daughter liked them, and I got so I liked them too, except for the lovebird who ate my pay check!

I have four teddy bears, who are great pets cuz you don't have to feed them, they never want to go for a walk, and they don't pee on the floor! lol

Amy

p.s. How do you put photos up here?
Collapse

Gabrielle Bannard
Gabrielle Bannard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:09
French to English
Too many! May 23, 2007

An absolutely hilarious three-legged Boston Terrier named Winston (who runs around the house with his chew stick hanging out of his mouth like a stogie),
A completely moronic animal-shelter special, Heinz 57 Shepherd cross named Ozzy who can't control his licker,
A cat named Pixie whose name should probably be changed to Piggie,
A crested gecko named Dude because he's the coolest pet we've got, and he can lick his eyeballs!
And three goldfish.
(And a partridge in a
... See more
An absolutely hilarious three-legged Boston Terrier named Winston (who runs around the house with his chew stick hanging out of his mouth like a stogie),
A completely moronic animal-shelter special, Heinz 57 Shepherd cross named Ozzy who can't control his licker,
A cat named Pixie whose name should probably be changed to Piggie,
A crested gecko named Dude because he's the coolest pet we've got, and he can lick his eyeballs!
And three goldfish.
(And a partridge in a pear tree)
Collapse

Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:09
English to Latvian
+ ...
A cat - Minna May 23, 2007

Friendly, playful and independent. The only flaw - sees my toes as her worst enemy, which is especially entertaining when I'm on a phone conference with my clients.

Austra

[Edited at 2007-05-23 14:52]

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
cat and dog May 23, 2007

I have one cat and one dog.

The dog is an Australian Shepherd/Labrador mix named Taz, adopted as a puppy from the local pound 11 years ago. Taz made the long trip from Ohio to Madrid when I moved here in 1998.

The cat is a new addition to the family, and is a one-year-old orange tabby named Mr. Jones. He suddenly appeared almost four months ago, apparently desperate for some human contact. We tried to find his owner, but no one claimed him, so we adopted him. We found
... See more
I have one cat and one dog.

The dog is an Australian Shepherd/Labrador mix named Taz, adopted as a puppy from the local pound 11 years ago. Taz made the long trip from Ohio to Madrid when I moved here in 1998.

The cat is a new addition to the family, and is a one-year-old orange tabby named Mr. Jones. He suddenly appeared almost four months ago, apparently desperate for some human contact. We tried to find his owner, but no one claimed him, so we adopted him. We found out a couple months later that one of our neighbors had rescued him from the pound, where he was going to be euthanized; this neighbor couldn't keep the cat as a pet, but left him in the garden and put food out for him. He found his way to us a few days later. The neighbor was very happy to know the cat found a home with us, and we're very happy to have Mr. Jones. Even Taz likes him.
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:09
Japanese to English
A rabbit and two hamsters May 23, 2007

One of the hamsters recently had to have surgery. Poor little fella. He's 2 years old (80 in hamster years). The rabbit is not much of a pet. I was hoping he'd be more affectionate, but he mostly just keeps to himself and shows no interest in people. Plus he likes to chew on anything and everything. Ruined one of my favorite t-shirts. Next time I'll be going with a ... See more
One of the hamsters recently had to have surgery. Poor little fella. He's 2 years old (80 in hamster years). The rabbit is not much of a pet. I was hoping he'd be more affectionate, but he mostly just keeps to himself and shows no interest in people. Plus he likes to chew on anything and everything. Ruined one of my favorite t-shirts. Next time I'll be going with a dog or a cat.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you have a pet in your home?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »