Thread poster: John Cutler
John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 24, 2007

Hi, I’m the “Galloping Gourmet” at my house and now that summer’s fast approaching, I’m looking for new ideas for some fast, easy-to-prepare summer lunch or dinner recipes. They can be any type (starter, main course, dessert) and I don’t mind which measuring system is used for the proportions (ounces, grams, etc).
Any other food lovers out there who have a minute and who would be willing to post one (or more) of their a favorite recipe(s) for me? I posted one below for children
... See more
Hi, I’m the “Galloping Gourmet” at my house and now that summer’s fast approaching, I’m looking for new ideas for some fast, easy-to-prepare summer lunch or dinner recipes. They can be any type (starter, main course, dessert) and I don’t mind which measuring system is used for the proportions (ounces, grams, etc).
Any other food lovers out there who have a minute and who would be willing to post one (or more) of their a favorite recipe(s) for me? I posted one below for children but I’m also interested in more grown-up fare.

PS. I know those of you in the southern hemisphere are going into winter now but feel free to share anyway!!

Here’s a simple, fast summer dessert that everyone at our house likes. It’s kid-tested and proven:

FUN FRUIT SALAD

Easy to prepare
Ingredients for 3-4 people:

4 apples (I use golden delicious, but any kind will do)
1 strawberry yogurt
Half a lemon
4 or 5 cookies (I use some that are covered with white chocolate, although you can substitute those for healthier ones, if you want)
1 teaspoon colored sprinkles (this is where the “fun” comes from in the name)

Cut and dice the apples. Squeeze the lemon juice onto the diced apples and stir well. (This keeps them from turning brown and adds some vitamin C)

Add the yogurt and stir again

Place the cookies in a mixer or blender and grind into small pieces or even powder.

Pour this into a small bowl, add the sprinkles and stir until mixed.

Just before serving, sprinkle the cookie mix over the apples.
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:51
German to English
Raw papaya salad May 24, 2007

Hi John,

I don't know if you get raw papayas or tamarind where you live, but I thought I'd share this recipe with you and other members anyway. It's nice and refreshing on hot summer days.

Serves 4-6

3 cups grated raw papaya

1 tomato - cut into pieces

1/2 cup tender green beans - sliced finely

1/4 cup roasted peanuts - crushed coarsely

Tamarind chilli dresssing:

1 tbsp tamarind pulp
... See more
Hi John,

I don't know if you get raw papayas or tamarind where you live, but I thought I'd share this recipe with you and other members anyway. It's nice and refreshing on hot summer days.

Serves 4-6

3 cups grated raw papaya

1 tomato - cut into pieces

1/2 cup tender green beans - sliced finely

1/4 cup roasted peanuts - crushed coarsely

Tamarind chilli dresssing:

1 tbsp tamarind pulp

1 tbsp soya sauce

1 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp chopped coriander

3-4 green chillies and 1 flake garlic - pounded together

1. Mix all the ingredients of the dressing together
2. Put papaya and all other ingredients in a bowl. Add the dressing and mix well. Cover with a cling film and chill for at least one hour, so that the flavours penetrate. Sprinkle roasted peanuts on top before serving.

Bon appetit!

Niraja
Collapse

Catherine Brix
Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
Tabbouleh salad May 24, 2007

There is nothing more refreshing than tabbouleh salad when the heat is on (in my opinion). Serve cold! Either as an appetizer or salad with whatever.

for 2
1 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
2 finely chopped spring onions
2 finely chopped tomatoes
1 finely chopped cucumber
4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1/4-1/2 cup prepared and cooled burghul (cracked wheat) or c
... See more
There is nothing more refreshing than tabbouleh salad when the heat is on (in my opinion). Serve cold! Either as an appetizer or salad with whatever.

for 2
1 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
2 finely chopped spring onions
2 finely chopped tomatoes
1 finely chopped cucumber
4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1/4-1/2 cup prepared and cooled burghul (cracked wheat) or couscous

Mix and let stand a few hours in the fridge. This is a treat to look at too if you take the time to dice everything into nice small bits. The mint with the lemon with the salt....mmm.

And you know what makes a luscious desert? Pineapple upsidedown cake with whipped cream. Mmmm

Enjoy!

[Edited at 2007-05-24 11:24]
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 04:21
Orla's Summer Smoothie May 24, 2007

Chop up a mango, orange and banana.
Scoop out a passion fruit too for that divine smell and flavour.
Add everything into a blender / smoothie maker.
Add a scoop of yoghurt as well, if you like.
Press button for a few mins.
Pour, serve and drink.

Yum.

Ileana M. Pop (X)
Ileana M. Pop (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Romanian to Italian
+ ...
Spaghetti primavera May 24, 2007

Great idea John! Thank you!
I'll write my favourite summer recipe: Spaghetti primavera.

Very easy to prepare!

350 gr Spaghetti
25 cherry tomatoes (or 2 big tomatoes)
3 mozzarellas
3 gloves garlic
1 small bunch of basil
Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese
Extra-virgin olive oil

Cook the spaghetti in salted water. AL DENTE, please!!!...
See more
Great idea John! Thank you!
I'll write my favourite summer recipe: Spaghetti primavera.

Very easy to prepare!

350 gr Spaghetti
25 cherry tomatoes (or 2 big tomatoes)
3 mozzarellas
3 gloves garlic
1 small bunch of basil
Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese
Extra-virgin olive oil

Cook the spaghetti in salted water. AL DENTE, please!!!
Drain and put it all together!

Buon appetito!
Ileana
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:21
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Chicken and tarragon salad. Aphrodite salad May 24, 2007

John Cutler wrote:

Any other food lovers out there who have a minute and who would be willing to post one (or more) of their a favorite recipe(s) for me? I posted one below for children but I’m also interested in more grown-up fare.

PS. I know those of you in the southern hemisphere are going into winter now but feel free to share anyway!!

Here’s a simple, fast summer dessert that everyone at our house likes. It’s kid-tested and proven:

FUN FRUIT SALAD

Easy to prepare

4 apples (I use golden delicious, but any kind will do)
1 strawberry yogurt
Half a lemon
4 or 5 cookies (I use some that are covered with white chocolate, although you can substitute those for healthier ones, if you want)
1 teaspoon colored sprinkles (this is where the “fun” comes from in the name)

Cut and dice the apples. Squeeze the lemon juice onto the diced apples and stir well. (This keeps them from turning brown and adds some vitamin C)

Add the yogurt and stir again

Place the cookies in a mixer or blender and grind into small pieces or even powder.

Pour this into a small bowl, add the sprinkles and stir until mixed.

Just before serving, sprinkle the cookie mix over the apples.

Sounds tempting!

Here are two recipes that are great for any number, especially for a party with a buffet - can be eaten with just a plate and fork while standing up.

1. Chicken and tarragon salad.
Roast a chicken, free-range, natch. Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise, salt and pepper, plenty of lemon juice, coarsely chopped tarragon and some sliced and pipped white grapes in a large bowl.
When the chicken is cooked, skin it and take it all off the bone. Cut it into forkable pieces and put it into the salad dressing at once, while it's still hot. That way it absorbs the taste of the tarragon much better. Mix gently.
Arrange the mixture on a charming dish decorated with designer lettuce leaves, bunchlets of grapes and fronds of tarragon. Voilà!

2. Aphrodite salad (a recipe of my late mother's).
Peel and chop some tart apples - preferably Granny Smiths or Bramleys. Chop some celery. Put pieces into a bowl (quick before they go brown) of plain Greek yogurt with plenty of lemon juice, salt, ground black pepper and a little sugar (yes!). Add plenty of stoned black olives and mix gently. ¡Que aproveches!

As these dishes are both pale in colour, it's best to accompany them with something colourful such as a tomato vinaigrette, beetroot and red cabbage salad, etc.

Nice thread!
Regards,
Jenny.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 23:21
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Hill of beans May 24, 2007

Thanks for the tabouleh salad recipe, Mary Catherine, I'm going to make some today!!!

Here is a quick bean salad. Make it ahead - if it marinates all afternoon, the flavour is exquisite.

Mix the vinaigrette: 2 parts extra-virgin olive oil to one part red wine vinegar, squirt of lemon juice, drop of Worcestershire, salt, freshly-ground black pepper, fresh thyme and oregano; pour it over red kidney beans, r
... See more
Thanks for the tabouleh salad recipe, Mary Catherine, I'm going to make some today!!!

Here is a quick bean salad. Make it ahead - if it marinates all afternoon, the flavour is exquisite.

Mix the vinaigrette: 2 parts extra-virgin olive oil to one part red wine vinegar, squirt of lemon juice, drop of Worcestershire, salt, freshly-ground black pepper, fresh thyme and oregano; pour it over red kidney beans, rinsed and drained, or mixed beans if you prefer, to which you have added chopped red onion, scallions, shallots or whatever onion you prefer, plus minced garlic. Mix well, let it sit in the fridge all day.

Come to think of it, I think I'll make that too.

Lunch time! Thanks for the thread, John

Nancy
Collapse

Isabel Booth
Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Bit biased towards the ice cream perhaps? May 24, 2007

Just stumbled across this website, like you do when you are searching for THAT word ...
http://www.lastingsummerpleasures.com/recipes.html

My own personal favorites for summer include vitello tonnato, insalata di riso or cold pasta with chopped cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and slivers of parmesan (sounds horrid but it's great!). All easy to make and fridge-survivors.<
... See more
Just stumbled across this website, like you do when you are searching for THAT word ...
http://www.lastingsummerpleasures.com/recipes.html

My own personal favorites for summer include vitello tonnato, insalata di riso or cold pasta with chopped cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and slivers of parmesan (sounds horrid but it's great!). All easy to make and fridge-survivors.
Or beef carpaccio with grated parmesan, or sliced raw mushrooms with parmesan and rocket...

Oh and fizzy white wine sangria (sorry to any purists out there) and caffe shakerato, but the only way to get a decent one around here is to fork out and go to the bar...

Oh dear, time to get to the gym....

Isabel

[Edited at 2007-05-24 15:05]
Collapse

Nicole Martin
Nicole Martin
Local time: 23:21
German to English
I love this thread! May 24, 2007

I love cooking, so it's always nice to hear about new recipes. But of course, now I suddenly can't think of any of my own. Well here a few things I like in the summer.

When it comes to eating in the summer, it seems like half my diet is built around tomatoes and basil (straight from the garden!), fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar. You can't go wrong with a combination like that.

I also love Greek yog
... See more
I love cooking, so it's always nice to hear about new recipes. But of course, now I suddenly can't think of any of my own. Well here a few things I like in the summer.

When it comes to eating in the summer, it seems like half my diet is built around tomatoes and basil (straight from the garden!), fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar. You can't go wrong with a combination like that.

I also love Greek yogurt drizzled with honey and sprinkled with chopped nuts (walnuts or toasted, sliced almonds are my favorites) and cut up figs. Fresh are best, but dried are easier to find and they work fine.

I like to make a salad with different types of lettuce, sugar snap peas, red bell pepper, cucumber slices and mandarin oranges. You can add chicken or something to it as well. I eat that with a sesame-soy-ginger dressing and sprinkle it with some of those crunchy rice noodles and toasted almonds. The dressing is something I buy, but I would imagine it would be easy enough to make too. It's just red wine vinegar, soy sauce, honey, sesame seeds and ginger.

Now I'm hungry! Almost lunch time...
Collapse

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Whole spelt salad May 24, 2007

This cold salad is perfect in summer. You can also use rice or pasta instead of spelt.

Ingredients:
whole spelt
some cherry tomatoes
emmenthal cheese
peas and mais
gerkins, champignon mushrooms, chives (in oil)

Cook the spelt in boiling salted water;
in the meanwhile, cut into small pieces the tomatoes, the emmenthal, the gerkins, the mushrooms and the chives.
Drain the spelt and mix it to the other ingredients.
Allow to
... See more
This cold salad is perfect in summer. You can also use rice or pasta instead of spelt.

Ingredients:
whole spelt
some cherry tomatoes
emmenthal cheese
peas and mais
gerkins, champignon mushrooms, chives (in oil)

Cook the spelt in boiling salted water;
in the meanwhile, cut into small pieces the tomatoes, the emmenthal, the gerkins, the mushrooms and the chives.
Drain the spelt and mix it to the other ingredients.
Allow to cool in the fridge.

(Add some olive oil and mix before eating)

Buon appetito:)

Antonella

[Edited at 2007-05-25 06:54]
Collapse

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:21
English to Italian
Caprese Salad May 24, 2007

Being Italian, and loving to cook, I couldn't miss this thread, so the simplest and quickest recipe I can give you is the classic caprese salad, super-duper easy to do and served as an appetizer.

All you need is:

Good ripe tomatoes
Mozzarella cheese (I strongly recommend the one sold in its own liquid, which is moist and milky, not the dried one that I would hardly call mozzarella)
Good EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
Salt
Pepper
Fres
... See more
Being Italian, and loving to cook, I couldn't miss this thread, so the simplest and quickest recipe I can give you is the classic caprese salad, super-duper easy to do and served as an appetizer.

All you need is:

Good ripe tomatoes
Mozzarella cheese (I strongly recommend the one sold in its own liquid, which is moist and milky, not the dried one that I would hardly call mozzarella)
Good EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
Salt
Pepper
Fresh Basil

Cut the tomatoes in slices.
Cut the mozzarella in slices.
On a serving plate, alternate tomato and mozzarella slices (you can put them in a circle, or on a log, whatever you prefer)
Drizzle all over the good stuff quite a bit of EVOO, add salt and pepper, break some basil leaves and sprinkle them all over (the color combination will be just lovely and summery).

Put it in the fridge for a bit covered with saran wrap, before serving. The salt, oil and basil will flavour wonderfully this Summer salad. In Italy we eat it very often, especially in Summer.

Enjoy it with a glass of white wine.

[Edited at 2007-05-24 18:45]
Collapse

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
An easy to make Mexican recipe May 24, 2007

I live in Texas, where there's great mexican food in every corner. I've learned to make this staple, which is great in the summer. It's a salad that can be made with beef or chicken. I like to cook a couple of chicken breasts in the slow cooker all day, and shred it, but you can buy a roast chicken instead to save time, if you want. The amounts for each ingredient are up to you, I normally make a big salad, with about 4 chicken breasts, two avocados and three medium tomatoes.

Salpi
... See more
I live in Texas, where there's great mexican food in every corner. I've learned to make this staple, which is great in the summer. It's a salad that can be made with beef or chicken. I like to cook a couple of chicken breasts in the slow cooker all day, and shred it, but you can buy a roast chicken instead to save time, if you want. The amounts for each ingredient are up to you, I normally make a big salad, with about 4 chicken breasts, two avocados and three medium tomatoes.

Salpicón

Shredded cooked chicken
avocados
onions
cilantro
tomatoes
lettuce
vegetable oil
white vinegar

Chop up the ripe avocados into bite-size cubes. Chop into very small pieces the onion, tomato and cilantro. Mix all the ingredients, including the shredded chicken, add salt and pepper to taste, and blend the oil and vinegar. Allow mixture to cool in the fridge for a while. Serve on a bed of chopped lettuce. Iceberg lettuce works very well here because it's crunchy. If you want it spicy, you could add some chopped chiles serranos or jalapeños. To dress it up, you could scoop the chicken mixture with an ice cream scoop, and garnish it with long, thin avocado slices on top and a sprig of cilantro.

Buen provecho.

[Edited at 2007-05-24 20:00]
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
strawberry daquiri May 24, 2007

.... well, it's almost food!

We had one summer when we took about 3 kilos of strawberries out of the garden every evening, and simply didn't know what to do with them all! There's only so much jam a girl can make

I don't know if this is a standard daquiri recipe, but it certainly worked for us!

Take
lots of strawberries
a bunch of ice cubes
a sprig of mint
a touch of b
... See more

We had one summer when we took about 3 kilos of strawberries out of the garden every evening, and simply didn't know what to do with them all! There's only so much jam a girl can make

I don't know if this is a standard daquiri recipe, but it certainly worked for us!

Take
lots of strawberries
a bunch of ice cubes
a sprig of mint
a touch of black pepper
and white rum (bacardi) if you're going for the alcoholic variety, or try cream instead if you want a virgin cocktail.

Put the lot in a blender and skoosh it until it goes slushy.

Serve in iced glasses with a sprig of mint and a hint of black pepper on top.

Enjoy!

Alison
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 22:21
English to Russian
+ ...
One very simple summer salad May 24, 2007

If you like sour cream...

Cut or slice radishes and fresh cucumbers, add ripped leafy salad, finely chopped dill, cilantro, green onions and parsley, and mix it all with the chilled sour cream. Salt only for seasoning. Consume immediately:-). May not be a true delicacy but it tastes sooooooooo refreshing, juicy and crisp. BTW, radishes are "negative calorie veggie" - you burn calories digesting it!

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:21
English to Italian
Strawberry daquiri May 24, 2007

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

Alison

You couldn't put it any better! Next time I have a strawberry margarita or a strawberry daquiri and someone says anything to me I will use your answer!

Sante'

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recipe exchange for summer food

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »