Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Anyone know a specific company I could use for shipping for an international move?
Thread poster: Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:26
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2007

Hello fellow Prozeans,
I will be moving from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to New York the end of October. I'm thinking of having some things shipped...nothing huge like moving the entire contents of my apartment, but some boxes and a small bureau. Does anybody know how to go about doing this, and whether air or boat is better?

Also, if anyone knows a specific company I could use, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Amy

[Subject edited by staff or mod
... See more
Hello fellow Prozeans,
I will be moving from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to New York the end of October. I'm thinking of having some things shipped...nothing huge like moving the entire contents of my apartment, but some boxes and a small bureau. Does anybody know how to go about doing this, and whether air or boat is better?

Thanks!

Amy

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-18 09:51]
Collapse

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:26
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
same here.. Jun 16, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:

Hello fellow Prozeans,

Thanks!

Amy

Hello Amy,

I have no advice for you at this time, but we seem to be in the "same boat": I will be moving from Canada to Germany in August and am expecting some estimates in the next few days. I will keep you posted when I get them, and would also like to ask if anybody can give advice re. international moves. Thank you!

Evi

Ximena P. Aguilar
Ximena P. Aguilar  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
It´s all about cubic meters Jun 16, 2007

Hello Amy, because of my husband´s work I´ve been moving five times from one country to another, with children and the whole house so what I can tell you is that all depend on the amount of things you have, in these type of moving everything is counted for cubic meters. By air everything is faster but the prices increase a lot too. I would suggest you to make a quotation for both (air and ship), aks at least three different companies before you take your final decision. I don´t know any compa... See more
Hello Amy, because of my husband´s work I´ve been moving five times from one country to another, with children and the whole house so what I can tell you is that all depend on the amount of things you have, in these type of moving everything is counted for cubic meters. By air everything is faster but the prices increase a lot too. I would suggest you to make a quotation for both (air and ship), aks at least three different companies before you take your final decision. I don´t know any company for international moving in your country but you can look at the yellow pages or internet.

All the best and good luck!

Ximena Aguilar
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finding a shipping company Jun 16, 2007

My biggest proglem at the moment seems to be finding a shipping company. I'm not making a "household move," that is, with all the furniture and everything, but all the companies I've found on-line seem to deal only with that (the ships, anyway). The Yellow Pages had nothing to offer.

I looked at American Airlines cargo, and it would cost $250 for weight up to 31.5 kgs. I don't have any way to weight the stuff, which is another problem.

Amy

Anne Goff
Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:26
French to English
+ ...
No good options... Jun 16, 2007

In my limited experience there are no great options for international shipping. Companies that offer great prices by size gouge you on weight and companies that offer great prices on weight gouge you on size... Make sure you get detailed quotes.

Sometimes it is much cheaper by sea (not always) but don't send anything by sea that you can't live without for quite some time. (And if you can live without it for a long time you might need to ask yourself if you need it at all.) If you
... See more
In my limited experience there are no great options for international shipping. Companies that offer great prices by size gouge you on weight and companies that offer great prices on weight gouge you on size... Make sure you get detailed quotes.

Sometimes it is much cheaper by sea (not always) but don't send anything by sea that you can't live without for quite some time. (And if you can live without it for a long time you might need to ask yourself if you need it at all.) If you send anything by sea, wrap it in plastic because things do, on occasion, get wet.

If the items you're shipping don't have personal value, they might be cheaper to replace than to ship.

It can actually be cheaper to pay the extra money to go over your baggage allowance for your international flight than to ship the same amount of stuff. This can help with at least some items...

I wish I could give you specific names, but most of my experience with international shipping is either old or anecdotal from friends.

I look forward to seeing if anyone has found a good company for international shipping...
Collapse

Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
me... Jun 16, 2007

Anne Goff wrote:

I look forward to seeing if anyone has found a good company for international shipping...

I have...
Amy, contact me in private if you want, I know the company I used for my own shippment also ships from Brazil

Gabi

Michael and Raimunda Poe
Michael and Raimunda Poe  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Shipping company Jun 17, 2007

Look up Graneiro in the listel. They did my move from Campinas to Tocantins, no complaints, a bit expensive, but they are pros.

Good luck.

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
idea Jun 17, 2007

if you really are stuck, I work for a transport company that has a branch in Sao Paolo (for Brazil) and in various places in the USA, including NY. They could perhaps advise you even though the amount of stuff you appear to be shipping is small. It could probably travel as a part-load. Anyway, if interested, contact me and I'll give you the email address of the bossman
Chris

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Everyday items Jun 17, 2007

I moved from Moscow, Russia to Houston. Paid a lot of money for shipping everyday items, china, clothes and books, to realize only later that it could have cost me less just to buy new bed linen, towels, pillows and blankets, pots and pans, plates and silverware - except for fine china/knicknacks and items of sentimental value.

That kind of stuff is not expensive in the USA, and I would say cheap at discount stores.

It was 5 years ago and I did not realize either that
... See more
I moved from Moscow, Russia to Houston. Paid a lot of money for shipping everyday items, china, clothes and books, to realize only later that it could have cost me less just to buy new bed linen, towels, pillows and blankets, pots and pans, plates and silverware - except for fine china/knicknacks and items of sentimental value.

That kind of stuff is not expensive in the USA, and I would say cheap at discount stores.

It was 5 years ago and I did not realize either that I would barely use my 2 dozen printed dictionaries that I accumulated in all those years of working as translator after I purchased an electronic EnglishRussian dictionary which substitutes them all! And these dictionaries made probably half the total weight of shipment. Unless your company pays for it which was not my case. Good luck with the move!

[Edited at 2007-06-17 13:52]
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the suggestions and support! Jun 17, 2007

My situation is a little different because I'm not thinking of shipping any houselhold items. I'm going to sell all that stuff. I recorded a CD with my band here, and I still have around 22 small boxes of CDs, so I was thinking of shipping them with a few books, etc.

However, now I'm thinking I might be able to stash them in some large suitcases, since I'll be traveling with two other people. Even if I have to pay overweight, I think it'll come out cheaper and probably less of a ha
... See more
My situation is a little different because I'm not thinking of shipping any houselhold items. I'm going to sell all that stuff. I recorded a CD with my band here, and I still have around 22 small boxes of CDs, so I was thinking of shipping them with a few books, etc.

However, now I'm thinking I might be able to stash them in some large suitcases, since I'll be traveling with two other people. Even if I have to pay overweight, I think it'll come out cheaper and probably less of a hassle than trying to ship them, from what you all have said here.

Anyway, thanks again!

Amy
Collapse

Barbara Wiegel
Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why don't you contact the nearest US consulate? Jun 18, 2007

Hi Amy,

Why don't you get into touch with the nearest US consulate and/or embassy?
The foreign service employees move house and countries frequently and are likely to have a list of shipping and moving companies.

I work for the German foreign service and am at my third posting right now. So far, the embassies and consulates I worked with/at always had lists of suitable companies, i.e. companies the mission has been working with for years.
Additionally, the
... See more
Hi Amy,

Why don't you get into touch with the nearest US consulate and/or embassy?
The foreign service employees move house and countries frequently and are likely to have a list of shipping and moving companies.

I work for the German foreign service and am at my third posting right now. So far, the embassies and consulates I worked with/at always had lists of suitable companies, i.e. companies the mission has been working with for years.
Additionally, they might have valuable advice as to rules and regulations of customs authorities, dept. of agriculture and so on.

Best of luck and greetings from the other part of the world,
Barbara
Collapse

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
This is what I did... Jun 18, 2007

5 years ago, I moved together with my 2 kids from Germany to the U.S.
I didn't take any furniture or household items with me.
I shipped some of my stuff as airline cargo freight, which is MUCH cheaper than paying for extra luggage at the airport.

I had like 10 big boxes, which I brought to an nearby airport 1 week before our departure and they arrived 2 days after our relocation. The costs were around 250 Euros. It all worked perfectly for me.

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
250 euros for ten boxes? Jun 18, 2007

Kathi Stock wrote:

I shipped some of my stuff as airline cargo freight, which is MUCH cheaper than paying for extra luggage at the airport.

I had like 10 big boxes, which I brought to an nearby airport 1 week before our departure and they arrived 2 days after our relocation. The costs were around 250 Euros. It all worked perfectly for me.

Hi Kathi,
The prices I saw at American Airlines cargo seemed much higher than this...in any case I'm not planning on taking extra suitcases, there may just be some overweight. Each passenger can check two suitcases, and there are three of us, so maybe it will work. I won't know until I pack!

Amy

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
We did the same thing Jun 18, 2007

Kathi Stock wrote:

We did the same thing moving back to the States from Germany. We used British Airways cargo. As I recall, it was the cheapest option then.

Neyde
Neyde  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
"M Bag" at Correios for your books & suggestion for CDs Jun 18, 2007

Hi Amy,
that's a pity to know you're leaving Brazil. But I hope that's for the best!
If you have a lot of books - they weight a lot in suitcases, and if memory serves well you pay US$100.00 for each extra one (so load it almost up to the limit!).
Another alternative is to use "M Bag" at Correios. I used this system when I moved back from Japan to Brazil 7 years ago and I think you can use it from here to NY. You can only send books and the minimun weight for is 10 kg (or 15 kg
... See more
Hi Amy,
that's a pity to know you're leaving Brazil. But I hope that's for the best!
If you have a lot of books - they weight a lot in suitcases, and if memory serves well you pay US$100.00 for each extra one (so load it almost up to the limit!).
Another alternative is to use "M Bag" at Correios. I used this system when I moved back from Japan to Brazil 7 years ago and I think you can use it from here to NY. You can only send books and the minimun weight for is 10 kg (or 15 kg, I'm not sure), and you can use as many boxes as you want because they're gonna be accomodated in a big green bag and send by ship. From Japan to Brazil it took 3 months and the cost was around 10.000 yens in 2000, that is around US$ 100 (not current value due to recent exchange variations, sorry).
As for CDs, a good thing is to throw away the plastic boxes because they end up broken when you put them in suitcases and buy those big folder-style CD cases. You can always buy new plastic boxes there.
Hope this helps and wish you nice moving!
Neyde
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone know a specific company I could use for shipping for an international move?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »