liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:05
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2007

Hello

I'm thinking of going to Paris at the end of October 2007 with my husband and two children, ages 13 + 14.

Does anybody know of a comfortable, friendly family hotel in Paris (preferably with restaurant) where we can base ourselves for three days - near places such as the Eiffel Tower, the Pompidou Centre, the Louvre etc, in other words, central.. 2/3/4 star?

Thanks for any help.

Liz Askew

Rodrigo Mencía
Rodrigo Mencía  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe... Sep 3, 2007

When I went to work there, I had to stay 1 month and a half in a hotel (paid by the company). It was cheap but quite good and the people and atmosphere were great. Check for any "ETAP" hotel. They are really cheap. Maybe 90 euro per night are enough for your whole family.

Their website is http://www.etaphotel.com/

If you don't find any ETAP hotel in a place of your interest, maybe you
... See more
When I went to work there, I had to stay 1 month and a half in a hotel (paid by the company). It was cheap but quite good and the people and atmosphere were great. Check for any "ETAP" hotel. They are really cheap. Maybe 90 euro per night are enough for your whole family.

Their website is http://www.etaphotel.com/

If you don't find any ETAP hotel in a place of your interest, maybe you can find an IBIS hotel (the older brother of the ETAP) --> http://www.ibishotel.com/

When you know where you will be staying, let us know!

[Editado a las 2007-09-03 18:39]
Collapse

ozan karakış
ozan karakış
Türkiye
Local time: 17:05
English to Turkish
+ ...
Worth checking Hotel Saphir Grenelle Sep 3, 2007

http://www.hotel-saphir-grenelle-paris.federal-hotel.com/page_en_1.html

I paid 70 Euros per night for 2 adults+2 children (below 10 years old) incl. breakfast. Nice and quite. Very close to the tower.

Chris Lancaster
Chris Lancaster  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
FAmily hotel in Paris Sep 3, 2007

We stayed at the Novotel, walking distance to the Eiffel Tower. We had a good-sized family room (2 adults and 2 kids 13 and 9); I can't remember the price off-hand but it was good value. We booked the hotel through the easyjet webpage. Have fun and definitely take a boat trip because Paris is stunning from the Seine.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Hotel Virgina near Porte d'Orléans Sep 3, 2007

Not exactly walking distance from the Tour Eiffel, but there is a Metro station "Porte d'Orléans" at 5mn.
The hotel is friendly and very calm as it not on the main boulevard but in a small backstreet. Good value.

www.paris-hotel-virgina.com

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
English to Italian
my choices Sep 4, 2007

It's hard to find a hotel close to the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre AND the Pompidou, being these 3 points of interest quite a distance apart, but Paris has a great subway system, so anywhere you stay is fine.
My friends (a family of 3) recently stayed at Hotel Flaubert near the Arc de Triomphe.

Also, not all hotels in Paris have a restaurant (at least the inexpensive ones). They all have a breakfast room, but you know what? In Paris there are hundreds of places where to eat, f
... See more
It's hard to find a hotel close to the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre AND the Pompidou, being these 3 points of interest quite a distance apart, but Paris has a great subway system, so anywhere you stay is fine.
My friends (a family of 3) recently stayed at Hotel Flaubert near the Arc de Triomphe.

Also, not all hotels in Paris have a restaurant (at least the inexpensive ones). They all have a breakfast room, but you know what? In Paris there are hundreds of places where to eat, from a bistro to an ethnic restaurant. That's one of the characteristics of Paris: bistros and restaurants everywhere. Whenever I travel I never eat in the restaurant of the hotel I stay in, because I find that it's generally expensive and the food is not that great. I prefer to walk around, look at different places, take a look at the menus and if I like the ambiance and the food offered, I go for it. Or, even better, I ask the person at the front desk of my hotel if she/he can recommend a nice, place to eat, not tourist traps, but where the locals go. It usually works. When I was in Venice I asked a barman where I took my morning cappuccino if he could recommend a nice place to eat for that evening, and the recommendation was great. So...these are my 2 cents.

Other hotels which are not that expensive and that might have quads are:

Hotel Lyon Mulhouse

Hotel Palais du Bourbon

Hotel Muguet

Hotel Saint-Loius Marais

Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc

Hotel Claude Bernard

Hotel des Grands Hommes

Hotel de Varenne

Hotel Michelet Odeon

Hotel Relais Bosquet

Hotel Marignan

Hotel Valdon

Hotel Louvre Sainte Anne

Hotel de Londres Eiffel

Hotel Residence Henry IV

Try to google these hotels to get pricings and photos.

Hope it helps.
Collapse

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Family hotel in Paris Sep 4, 2007

Thank you to everybody for their suggestions.

I will have a thorough look at the different hotels you've suggested before I book.

It's good to have a few recommendations otherwise it is like looking for a needle in a haystack when looking on the Web!

Thanks again!

Liz

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
www.meetingthefrench.com Sep 4, 2007

We used the above website and found them very good.

Mihailo

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Thoroughly recommend the Ibis in Issy-les-moulineaux (Ibis Porte de Versailles) Sep 4, 2007

We were parked there in June by the hotel we'd actually booked in central Paris, but despite the irritation of being shunted out into the outskirts we were favourably impressed.

You always know more or less what you're getting with Ibis but this was one of the best I've stayed in: it's clean, in a quiet area, 100 metres from the metro, 500 m from the Porte De Versailles, cheap (it doesn't actually count as Paris, so it's cheaper than hotels in the city and I think even other Ibis h
... See more
We were parked there in June by the hotel we'd actually booked in central Paris, but despite the irritation of being shunted out into the outskirts we were favourably impressed.

You always know more or less what you're getting with Ibis but this was one of the best I've stayed in: it's clean, in a quiet area, 100 metres from the metro, 500 m from the Porte De Versailles, cheap (it doesn't actually count as Paris, so it's cheaper than hotels in the city and I think even other Ibis hotels in Paris) and the staff are friendly and efficient. Our room was large and the bed was very comfortable. I don't think it had a dining room, though - only breakfast.

It doesn't have much character, obviously, but it's a great base if all you want to do there is sleep.

[Edited at 2007-09-04 15:29]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Homelidays.com Sep 4, 2007

Hallo Liz

I suggest you take a look at Homelidays.com. They rent flats around the world. We stayed in Paris in a flat near Etoile.
This is the flat we stayed in and a direct link to the owner.
She is Italian and very nice. Very clean, very nice and very central.
http://www.lauristonweek.com/index.php?lang=en

Good Luck with the hunting.

Best
S. Wiman

liz askew wrote:

Hello

I'm thinking of going to Paris at the end of October 2007 with my husband and two children, ages 13 + 14.

Does anybody know of a comfortable, friendly family hotel in Paris (preferably with restaurant) where we can base ourselves for three days - near places such as the Eiffel Tower, the Pompidou Centre, the Louvre etc, in other words, central.. 2/3/4 star?

Thanks for any help.

Liz Askew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Family hotel in Paris

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »