https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/8420-dust_if_you_must.html

Off topic: Dust if you must...
Thread poster: José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 8, 2003

Hola,

Food for thought...

Have a great weekend,

JL

DUSTING

\"A house becomes a home when you can write \"I love you\" on the furniture.\"

Can\'t tell you how many countless hours have been spent CLEANING! I used to spend at least 8 hours every weekend making sure things were just perfe
... See more
Hola,

Food for thought...

Have a great weekend,

JL

DUSTING

\"A house becomes a home when you can write \"I love you\" on the furniture.\"

Can\'t tell you how many countless hours have been spent CLEANING! I used to spend at least 8 hours every weekend making sure things were just perfect - \"in case someone came over\". Then I realized one day that no one came over; they were all out living life and having fun!

Now, when people visit, I find no need to explain the \"condition\" of my home. They are more interested in hearing about the things I\'ve been doing while I was away living life and having fun. If you haven\'t figured this out yet, please heed this advice. Life is short. Enjoy it!

Dust if you must, but wouldn\'t it be better, to paint a picture or write a letter, bake a cake or plant a seed, ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there\'s not much time, with rivers to swim and mountains to climb, music to hear and books to read, friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world\'s out there with the sun in your eyes, the wind in your hair, a flutter of snow, a shower of rain. This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind, old age will come and it\'s not kind. And when you go - and go you must - you, yourself, will make more dust!\"

--PD
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:10
German to English
+ ...
YESSSSS!!! Feb 9, 2003

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I\'ll print it out and set it on my dusty furniture

Trudy

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two readings Feb 9, 2003

And I agree with both!!!

ALE

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
Local time: 10:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sí sí, vale... Feb 9, 2003

... pero como no saques el cubo de basura ése que lleva semanas en la cocina sirviendo de pista de aterrizaje pa\' las moscas ...

¡Hombre!, ¿alguno tendrá que limpiar, no???

P

Nitza Ramos
Nitza Ramos  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excelente! Feb 9, 2003

Solución.... alguien que venga a limpiar una vez a la semana y yo..... si no tengo traducciones pendientes, a la playa, el cine, salir con mis amigos y sobre todo..... vivir la vida plenamente... porque la vida es corta y hay taaaaantas cosas que hacer!!

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
bravo por tu poema Feb 9, 2003

muy aspi..eh..quiero decir... inspirador!

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
Dusting off old memories Feb 10, 2003

Hi JL,

I am SO in agreement with you on this one! (Pity my wife Carmen isn\'t.... and as for the mother -in-law!!!! )

Did you ever come across references to Quentin Crisp (he\'s the \"Legal alien in New York\" mentioned in Sting\'s song about an Englishman in NY. He NEVER dusted his appartment and his report on the subject makes fascinating reading.

After three months the dust had a thickness of \"X\" millimetres... after 30 YEARS t
... See more
Hi JL,

I am SO in agreement with you on this one! (Pity my wife Carmen isn\'t.... and as for the mother -in-law!!!! )

Did you ever come across references to Quentin Crisp (he\'s the \"Legal alien in New York\" mentioned in Sting\'s song about an Englishman in NY. He NEVER dusted his appartment and his report on the subject makes fascinating reading.

After three months the dust had a thickness of \"X\" millimetres... after 30 YEARS this layer has not noticeably got any thicker!

I am also reminded here of Joni Mitchell\'s wonderful summary of her home life:

\"Papa\'s faith\'s in people,

Momma she is always cleaning\"

Papa likes his daughter to get out and live and Mother wants her to stay at home and rot. Thank goodness Daddy had the bigger influence

Cheers,

Berni
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Totally agree Feb 10, 2003

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-10 22:01]

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great !!!! ... now... Feb 11, 2003

I´m waiting for the \"Cook if you must\" version, JL

Au

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-11 19:25]

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
From Silvina's dusty and cat-hairy home: Feb 12, 2003

This reminds me of a neighbor of mine who would not allow her kids to have a dog because of the additional cleaning this involved. My mother sniffed at the time: \"All that obsession with dust, and she herself will be dust one day anyway!\"

So you see, even if I wanted to, I could not be a cleaning lady. It is not in the genes! As a result, you can write the Divine Comedy (never mind \"I love you\") on some of my furniture, and I have to shake my keyboard from time to time,
... See more
This reminds me of a neighbor of mine who would not allow her kids to have a dog because of the additional cleaning this involved. My mother sniffed at the time: \"All that obsession with dust, and she herself will be dust one day anyway!\"

So you see, even if I wanted to, I could not be a cleaning lady. It is not in the genes! As a result, you can write the Divine Comedy (never mind \"I love you\") on some of my furniture, and I have to shake my keyboard from time to time, because cat hair has a way of finding its way beneath the keys (I wouldn\'t mind, but the keyboard doesn\'t like it). But I prefer to have my cats and be busy otherwise.

I do take the garbage out though!
Collapse

Raluca Ion (X)
Raluca Ion (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:10
English to Romanian
+ ...
thank you! Feb 12, 2003

so sorry my mom doesn´t speak english! She´s one of those vacuuming saturday morning at 9... Love her anyway

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dust if you must...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »