Off topic: Panic is when...
Thread poster: Gianni Pastore

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:46
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Oct 12, 2007

... the electricity goes off because of lightning, the UPS starts beeping telling you that the system must be shut down in about two minutes, you have got a zillion of files open still to save and almost simultanously the batteries of the wireless mouse collapse with such a perfect timing that would make you think that Murphy's Law DOES exist. Is there something worse than this? Please share!
Gianni

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-14 11:46]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-15 03:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:46
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
and... Oct 12, 2007

Gianni Pastore wrote:

... the electricity goes off because of lightning, the UPS starts beeping telling you that the system must be shut down in about two minutes, you have got a zillion of files open still to save and almost simultanously the batteries of the wireless mouse collapse with such a perfect timing that would make you think that Murphy's Law DOES exist. Is there something worse than this? Please share!
Gianni

... and you have never known that each applications and its files (including the system itself) can be closed, saving the data when prompted, pressing ALT + F4.

Then, it is really time to PANIC!!

GF

[Edited at 2007-10-12 17:47]

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 05:46
My car navigation guides me over and over again to the construction site Oct 12, 2007

I had an important appointment for an interpreting assignment. I didn't even bother checking where I should ahead to before because I had car navigation system, which always brings me to the destination quickly. Unfortunately part of the road was blocked due to construction work. So I had to take another route. I turned left instead of going straight forward. The navigation asked me to turn over, which I did not do until it told me: We are calculating a new route for you. O God, it brought me back to the construction site again. I tried to take another road, driving further away from the destination, and somehow It led me back to the construction site again. This happened 4 times! I was already 15 minutes behind the time. In the end I decided to drive through the site, whatever might happen to me and my car...

Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Especially... Oct 12, 2007

gianfranco wrote:

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Gianni

... and you have never known that each applications and its files (including the system itself) can be closed, saving the data when prompted, pressing ALT + F4.

Then, it is really time to PANIC!!

GF

[Edited at 2007-10-12 17:47]

...when you've already tried that and all you've got is opening PowerPoint!

Marcela Mestre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:46
English to Spanish
There certainly is. Oct 12, 2007

Gianni Pastore wrote:

...Is there something worse than this? Please share!
Gianni

Yes, there is. Hearing somebody outdoor mowing the lawn!

How come do they have electricity and not ME?!

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:46
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stolen computer Oct 12, 2007

How about having your computer technician tell you that his home workshop was broken into and your computer was stolen--5 days before deadline on a 30,000-word project?

Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:46
English to Italian
...panic starts... Oct 12, 2007

...when, while you're working quietly on your translation the computer suddenly freezes or there's a power outage and all the appliances in your house, including your PC, go DEAD...

(and you hadn't saved your work for a while)

A moment of silence follows and....

...3-2-1...

...you start screaming and cursing: "NOOOOOO" @#@#%% "you son of a BEEP"#%^@!# "what the f** BEEP BEEP BEEEEP"

(with the dog, who up to that moment had been sleeping quietly near your feet, that sneaks out of the room like a scared Eeyore donkey)....

Believe me.... it happened.... and you don't want to talk to me (not even approach me) when I am in that lousy mood!

xxxGabi Ancarol
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Oct 12, 2007

Marcela Mestre wrote:

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Gianni

and agree, and agree, and agree...

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Panic is... Oct 12, 2007

When a new agency begs you on hands and knees to do a rush job (gaaah!) you do it, taking up your entire morning and dropping everything else, and ten minutes before it's due, your internet connection trips out. It comes back just in time (after your heart attack.) and the agency gratefuly accepts the job. Three months later, the seemingly reputable agency has not paid you and you give up the chase.... Oh yes this is a true story!!

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
...you're buried alive Oct 13, 2007

Especially if you lack the educational background of Beatrix Kiddo

Here's a favorite moment of panic: you ride the elevator, push the button, you don't look around that much, you stand facing the door and when the elevator stops at your floor, you extend your hand to push open the door, and voila! there stands a wall! Moments later (but they were hours to you), as your breathing has resumed and you drink the glass of water your host gave you in between laughters, you learn that due to some landscape-related strange reason, old buildings in the area all have their elevators opening to the opposite side at each floor! So first thing to do in panic: turn your head and look back

Or, have I strayed? Were we supposed to tell only business-related moments of panic? Come on, people, we're in the off-topic forum! Don't you know anything but work?

[Edited at 2007-10-13 00:55]

Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe... Oct 13, 2007

Marcela Mestre wrote:

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Gianni

...it's a lawnmower running on batteries or petrol!

[Edited at 2007-10-13 10:26]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Elevator panic Oct 13, 2007

You go up higher than 40 floors and discover that the elevator door opens onto a sheer glass panoramic viewpoint that almost brings you to your knees (and hands) because, even if the parrot can fly, you suffer acrophobia...

Telecom panic

The broadband router conks out and your ISP tells you deliveries take 7 days; you can't buy a new router because they're not parametered and your ISP can't help you set them up, so you travel 14 times to a hotspot that week with your portable. Curiously, it only happens when you have over 25,000 words to deliver. (Good old Murphy).

Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:46
English to Italian
December day Oct 13, 2007

2003 was an "annus horribilis" for me, for a bunch of reasons.

Anyhow, December comes, finally the problems are behind my back and I can take some time to relax.

Here in central California we usually have great winters, with sunny days, crisp air, no fog, it's a real pleasure to spend the day outside. So one December day, on December 22 2003 to be exact, my hubby and I went golfing (my hubby golfs, I'm as blind as a bat and as stiff as a stick. Let's say I'm just his caddy, or better I just drive the golf cart and read a magazine in the cart while he knocks some balls, got the picture?).

Ok, that December day we were right in the middle of the golf course, both in the golf cart, munching on a sandwich, when I feel the cart shaking a bit. I tell my husband "Stop swinging the cart with your leg". And he says "what leg, I'm not doing anything".
Suddenly we hear and feel a kind of muffled rumble under our feet, the cart starts shaking even more from side to side, we see the trees around us swaying like crazy.

Earthquake.

Folks, I thought the BIG ONE had come.

I went berzerk! I wanted to jump out of the cart and go hide under a tree (what was I thinking?!?!?) but my husband restrained me shouting "stay here" (we were in the middle of the course, all in all a safe place, but I was convinced that the earth would open apocalyptically under our feet).

The earthquake lasted about 20 - 30 seconds, but they were le longest moments of my life.

Later we found out that the earthquake had been M6.7 Richter (more or less magnitude IX Mercalli).

After it was over, I panicked again because we had left our dog home, and I feared that the dog could have gone nuts, ran away, or worse, be injured or dead.

We found him on the sofa, with one of his stuffed toys near him, napping and totally oblivious.... The house was fine apart from a few books that had fallen from the shelves.

[Edited at 2007-10-13 21:41]

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Lost e-mails Oct 13, 2007

Panic is when you receive an e-mail regarding a job that you do not know anything about. "About this job, please check terminology blahblah". Job? What job? I'm booked two weeks ahead - something I missed? Early Alzheimer after all?
Frantically checking my agenda, my e-mails - yes, aaaargh, a job was announced about a week ago - but nothing after that, as often happens - or??
My heart started racing - what job? I could not find a PO or anything. Can't be my fault then ...
The PM replied: "Did you not receive my e-mail from 3 days ago, confirming the job? It's just that the files haven't arrived yet". Well, that message had got lost in cyberspace ..

Not as bad as a real earth quake but pretty horrendous for about two minutes.

PS I have found a solution for the power cuts though: I bought a small generator and plug that into the mains when it happens - it happened only twice but would have happened more often if I hadn't bought the generator, that's Murphyy for you. Tax deductable and all!

[Edited at 2007-10-13 19:21]

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Elevator panic II. Oct 18, 2007

You get in the lift, somebody is standing in front of the panel, so you ask: can you press the top floor please?
Top floor being 12.
It is one of those old lifts, where the buttons are solid, and there is an indicator window showing the floor numbers moving up as the lift goes up.
Lift moves up, people get out somewhere on the 6th or 7th floor, lift moves, you start looking at the number indicator, 10, 11, 12, no more numbers, and lift keeps going!!! Where the h*** is it going?!!!
Is it going to crash into the engine above, or what?!!! Is it time to lie down on the floor? Would it make any difference? How much space is there above?! Not much, for sure.
Then eventually it stops. Phew! Where am I?
Well, of course, on the 12th floor. Only the number indicator was some 3 floors out of sinc and run out of numbers.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Panic is when...

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search