Off topic: Moved East forums - expats, stay sane in the Balkans and CEE!
Thread poster: Mark Daniels

Mark Daniels  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
Serbian to English
+ ...
Oct 15, 2007

Dear All,

My regular business is slaving over a hot computer, translating from Serbian to English. But right now I want to know:

- Can Shredded Wheat be bought ANYWHERE in the Balkans?!?!
- Will I get chloroformed and robbed on a night-train in Russia?
- How do I sort out my health-insurance in Serbia?
- Is it really illegal to drive a red car in Albania, or did the police just rip me off?!

Thought I'd let you know about a little project I am involved with that you might be interested in if you fall into that special category of person - the expat in the Balkans and Central and Eastern Europe.

What's it all about?

I present to you, the new Moved East forums (forums.movedeast.com).

It's a place where our special breed can try to stay sane by sharing stories and helping each other out in the crazy world that is the Balkans and CEE. I am coming at this from my perspective as a long-term (11 years) expat Brit in Serbia, with all the trials and tribulations that this brings. I know you have stuff to contribute/vent off about living in Russia/Romania/Czech/ too.

Like with all communities, it will take time to build, and we are right at the beginning with this, so it's still a bit bare and there are probably a few rough edges to sort out. But I hope you'll support the idea by signing up (no obligations whatsoever - regular signup, like with most forums you've come across, anonymity, no charge, no spam etc.) and also by posting something in the relevant forum.

It would be a great boost to the new community.

Also, you could help by forwarding this info to any of your expat or extensively-travelling friends in this region that you think might be interested in being part of a community like this.

Thanks for your support

Mark Daniels

P.S. I still have my day-job.
P.P.S. I hope ProZ don't see this as some kind of spam for a competing website - trust me, we do NOT want to get into the subject of translation too heavily on Moved East!

Direct link Reply with quote

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:08
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dear Mark, Oct 19, 2007

I SERIOUSLY think, this idea should be extended to the special category of expats - I mean expats from the Balkans and Central and Eastern Europe - living in Western Europe.

It is a crazy world with all sorts of idiosyncrasies. It would be beneficial to share our experiences to keep ourselves sane. In some countries they even drive on the wrong side of the road, and use ancient measures, in spite of the introduction of the metric system 36 years ago. And they think we are crazy!

I could carry on in earnest, but I won’t. I just wanted to express my desire to point out the other side of the coin.

Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great idea! Oct 20, 2007

Dear Juvera!

That's a great idea! Living in Serbia for me is ALSO an escape from the crazy world of a country which stills measures people's weight in stones (?!), has separate taps for hot and cold water (?!!) and where people don't rinse dishes after washing them (?!?!?!?!). My home country shall remain anonymous, ha ha.

However, I can't really speak from the perspective of a east European expat in Britain/the US etc., plus the forum is too big as it is! Maybe you would like to start something

I would also like to emphasise that the forum is not just for COMPLAINING about this part of the world! Most of us love our adopted countries, or we wouldn't live there! So I wouldn't want to give the wrong impression!

Mark

[Edited at 2007-10-20 07:30]

English to Hungarian
+ ...
Expats of the World Unite! Oct 20, 2007

Dear Mark,

I understand your predicament, and I am sure there is a need for a forum to exchange this kind of information.

The idea is good, but the packaging could be changed to accommodate both sides. However, I did come across various forums and blogs already dealing with these kinds of issues, so it is possible to find existing ones.

Speaking for myself, I spent too much time in that nameless country of "ours" to be at a loss any more. Moreover, I even know where to buy kefir here.
Therefore, I don't think I will bother to start a new forum.

Judith

Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestion! Oct 25, 2007

Judith,

I like your idea and I took your advice and added a sub-forum called Moved West! Though it's not the primary point of the forum, it does seem a good idea! The forum is still at an early stage, so I am still trying to see what will work, so why not!

Feel free to share your thoughts there, on being a Hungarian in England

Mark

P.S. Why DO we have separate hot and cold taps in the UK?! I never understood that even when I lived there!

English to Hungarian
+ ...
"How to be an alien" Oct 25, 2007

Thanks Mark.
Although my remarks were a bit tongue in cheek, I am sure the sub-forum will come useful for a lot of people.

By the way, there is an excellent book on the subject:
"How to be an alien" by George Mikes.
It was a very popular book in the sixties, very funny.
Reminds me to re-read it.

Judith

[Edited at 2007-10-25 09:49]

Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to be an alien Oct 25, 2007

Oh yes, well remembered! I think I have read it too - it mentions a lot of things foreigners will find strange about Britain, and a lot of them are still true today! Must go and find the book...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moved East forums - expats, stay sane in the Balkans and CEE!

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search