Off topic: UK mail scam warning
Thread poster: juvera
juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 18, 2007

As Xmas is approaching, it is especially important to know about this, and it has been confirmed by Royal Mail.

The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Beliz
... See more
As Xmas is approaching, it is especially important to know about this, and it has been confirmed by Royal Mail.

The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655 or ICSTIS (the premium rate service regulator) at
www.icstis.org.uk
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Obsolete? Oct 18, 2007

I received this exact warning from a friend this morning, immediately followed by another message saying that this scam had been stopped two years ago by Royal Mail. What is one to believe? Any road up, anyone who isn't expecting to receive a digital camera in the post should surely be aware that this is probably a scam. Unknown benefactors are fairly rare, more's the pity.
Regards,
Jenny

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe Oct 18, 2007

I have no time to check, but the message came from one of the biggest leading architects' company in the UK, where my husband works. It seems, they checked it with Royal Mail, and circulated a warning to everybody in their office.

Stopped two years ago? As they say, for a newborn all jokes are new. The perpetrators could have started again, and I cannot quite see, how Royal Mail can stop them. They can issue warnings, disclaimers, guidance, you name it, they can sue, but how do they
... See more
I have no time to check, but the message came from one of the biggest leading architects' company in the UK, where my husband works. It seems, they checked it with Royal Mail, and circulated a warning to everybody in their office.

Stopped two years ago? As they say, for a newborn all jokes are new. The perpetrators could have started again, and I cannot quite see, how Royal Mail can stop them. They can issue warnings, disclaimers, guidance, you name it, they can sue, but how do they stop it?
I would have thought, ICSTIS has more clout to deal with the telephone aspect, they would be able to stop it.

Regarding unknown benefactors sending mystery packages, well; we are an average family of four, and parcels turn up: an architectural catalogue, promotional pen, an excellent desk calendar, (I get them every year, and accept them gratefully), a CD from a friend with 250 photos, (takes too long to download from email) or something one of us ordered on the internet or from a shop, (particularly bike parts the boys forgot to warn me about).
I wouldn't be surprised to find such a note, particularly this time of the year.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK mail scam warning

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »