Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:48
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Nov 11, 2007

Hello

I'm looking for a family living in London who could host my 16 years old daughter for 2-3 weeks in January or February 2008.
My intention was first to buy a language program but I have no answer so far from specialized organisms, maybe because January and February are not the traditional months for that.
I also had an answer that said that my budget (€1000 +/-) would hardly cover both, a language program and hosting + meals. If that's true, I'd give priority to hosting and the best would be a family with teenagers who could be able to share their activities with her. Otherwise, if she's not within a group and has no teenagers in the family, she wouldn't be able to practice English at all.

I also published a request in the exchange section, but as I don't know how many people follow it, I prefer to be redundant.

Any suggestion or comment is welcome

Thank you

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:48
English to French
+ ...
Not in London... Nov 12, 2007

Hola Claudia,

I don't know anyone in London, but I spent two months in this School of English Language and enjoyed it very much. People were very friendly: people at school, students and landlords/landladies. At the time -I guess it still goes that way- you could choose if you wanted a family with children or not, pets ...

The price was around what you are ready to pay, for a month, of course it may have changed (that was 1995)...

The school organized nice outings to cities of interest during the weekends, for an additional fee.

I am just copying the link though, without checking their site myself.
http://www.churchillhouse.com/

Good luck,

Anne

PS If you don't mind American (or any other kind of) English, there is also "EF" that sends young people to many coutries, I have no idea about their prices though...
http://www.hyperstudy.com/study-in-usa/ef-language-usa.php

[Edited at 2007-11-12 03:17]

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:48
Member (2004)
German to English
Accreditation Nov 12, 2007

Make sure any school is accredited by the British Council: http://www.educationuk.org/english/

Why London? Even somewhere else in the UK would be cheaper. It will cost more but you get what you pay for. I am sure €1000 wont cover tuition and accommodation for 2 months.
If that's your budget I also suggest the US - the dollar rate is much better than sterling.

You can start classes at many schools on any Monday so I don't think January is a problem
Let me know if I can help any more.
Gillian

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Anne and Gillian Nov 12, 2007

Why London...

Because her dream would be to study in London when she finishes school and it's the only city she knows in the UK already.

Gillian, the budget would be only for the 2-3 weeks there. In fact I didn't take it out of my mind, I read several language courses brochures and the prices were around €1000-1200 for 3 weeks in London. The problem is that those organisms haven't answered to my requests.

I'll check your links, thanks for your comments

Claudia

Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
The EIL could be your solution Nov 12, 2007

Hola Claudia,

Many years ago I visited England and stayed with a family through The Experiment in International Living, whom I contacted through their offices in Chile http://www.experiment.cl/. They offer many different possibilities like living with a family for a few weeks, or taking an English course and living in a dormitory, etc.

I lived with a family in a little town named Malvern Link about 25 years ago and I still keep contact by letter with Astraea my dearest hostess.

Good luck,
Marianela

Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rotary Nov 12, 2007

Clau,
Have you tried getting in touch with the Rotary Club? My sister went to Canada for 6 months last year, and you don't have to pay for lodging or tuition. I think they also have a program that lasts 6 weeks. These kind of programs are for kids under 18, so she would be perfect for it.

Naty

(now in Spanish: cualquier cosa escribime y ¡llamame si andás por Mendoza algún día!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a family to host a 16 years old girl in LONDON

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search