Off topic: Tired of marketing calls?
Thread poster: JCEC
JCEC
JCEC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:32
English to French
Mar 1, 2003

\"I suppose some degree of commerce would grind to a halt if telephone solicitors weren\'t able to call people at home during dinner hour, but that doesn\'t make it any more pleasant. Now Steve Rubenstein, a writer for the San Francisco Chronicle, has proposed Three Little Words, based on his brief experience in a tele-marketing operation that would stop the nuisance for all-Time. The three little words are:

Hold On, Please...

Saying this while putting
... See more
\"I suppose some degree of commerce would grind to a halt if telephone solicitors weren\'t able to call people at home during dinner hour, but that doesn\'t make it any more pleasant. Now Steve Rubenstein, a writer for the San Francisco Chronicle, has proposed Three Little Words, based on his brief experience in a tele-marketing operation that would stop the nuisance for all-Time. The three little words are:

Hold On, Please...

Saying this while putting down your phone and walking off instead of hanging up immediately would make each tele-marketing call so time-consuming that boiler rooms would grind to a halt. When you eventually hear the phone company\'s beep-beep-beep tone, you know it\'s time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

Three little words that eliminate telephone soliciting.\"

John

PS: Sent by a friend - Source unknown

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-01 17:41]
Collapse

Great little tip.. Apr 5, 2003

I am not a big fan of this type of marketing approach either...

I will definitely try those 3 little words next time I get one of those calls.

Thanks

Arcoiris
Arcoiris
Local time: 07:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
another solution Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-01 17:40, JCEC wrote:

The three little words are:

Hold On, Please...

Saying this while putting down your phone and walking off instead of hanging up immediately would make each tele-marketing call so time-consuming that boiler rooms would grind to a halt. When you eventually hear the phone company\'s beep-beep-beep tone, you know it\'s time to go back and hang up your han... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-01 17:40, JCEC wrote:

The three little words are:

Hold On, Please...

Saying this while putting down your phone and walking off instead of hanging up immediately would make each tele-marketing call so time-consuming that boiler rooms would grind to a halt. When you eventually hear the phone company\'s beep-beep-beep tone, you know it\'s time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

One that I have used before (when I\'m in the mood to have fun and some time to spare) is to ask the caller to spell everything he says, e.g. the name of his company, his name, even your name (if he has mentioned it), instead of answering anything.

Alternatively, you can answer \"no\", in a monotone voice, to every single question. ▲ Collapse

Cidália Martins (X)
Cidália Martins (X)
English
+ ...
My personal favourite... May 21, 2003

...is hanging up.

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Still another solution May 24, 2003

When I got marketing calls, I always answer politely, because I know the man or woman who speaks to me as a sad and hard work... It is his/her boss who is to blame, not him/her

Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:32
Portuguese to English
Two methods to quickly end the conversation... May 27, 2003

1) Respond to them in a language other than English

2) Ask them for their home phone number so that you can "call back to get more details later"

Have fun!

T.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tired of marketing calls?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »