Off topic: Pop in Translation
Thread poster: Isabel Booth

Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:34
Italian to English
Dec 18, 2007

An interesting half hour of listening courtesy of BBC radio via the internet:

You can listen to the programme after it has been broadcast with their "listen again" feature
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml#p

Pop in Translation
Saturday 15 December 2007 10:30-11:00 (Radio 4 FM)

During the 1960s many pop artists, from the Beatles to David Bowie, attempted to boost their success with foreign-language versions of their hits. Mark Radcliffe looks at one of pop music's quirkier episodes.

Isabel

Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Great! Dec 18, 2007

I think the translation of pop songs even went on for a while, well into the 70's.

I'm certainly going to listen to this, thanks!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
continues all the time Dec 19, 2007

I can only speak for Finnish, but I would guess pop-songs are being translated all the time. Italian songs are sung everywhere in translations/new wordings.
On the other hand there are so many smashing songs in the world which are unknown to the English speaking world. The same is true for movies, only a small fraction is ever seen on screens in the English speeaking countries.
Cheers
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pop in Translation

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search