Off topic: What gender is \"computer\"?:)
Thread poster: Natasha Stoyanova

Natasha Stoyanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
Member (2002)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Apr 2, 2003

Dear Colleagues,

Hope you will like the cited below discussion.

\"La\" or \"Le\" computer?

A French teacher was explaining to her class that in French, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine. \"House\" is feminine -- \"la maison. \" \"Pencil\" is masculine - \"le crayon.\"

A student asked, \"What gender is \'computer\'?

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female and asked them to decide for themselves whether \"computer\" should be a masculine or a feminine noun.

Each group was asked to give four reasons for their recommendation.

The men\'s group decided that \"computer\" should definitely be of the feminine gender (\"la computer\", because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval;

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your pay cheque on accessories for it.

The women\'s group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine (\"le computer\", because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can\'t think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you had waited a little longer, you could have got a better model.

The women won.

Direct link Reply with quote

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:24
English to French
+ ...
Just another... Apr 2, 2003

... joke trying to push men and women against each others.

How come I am so tired of American culture those days?

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:24
English to French
Feminine of course Apr 2, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-02 11:19, AmusedNath wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Hope you will like the cited below discussion.

\"La\" or \"Le\" computer?

A French teacher was explaining to her class that in French, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine. \"House\" is feminine -- \"la maison. \" \"Pencil\" is masculine - \"le crayon.\"

A student asked, \"What gender is \'computer\'?

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female and asked them to decide for themselves whether \"computer\" should be a masculine or a feminine noun.

Each group was asked to give four reasons for their recommendation.

The men\'s group decided that \"computer\" should definitely be of the feminine gender (\"la computer\", because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval;

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your pay cheque on accessories for it.

The women\'s group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine (\"le computer\", because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can\'t think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you had waited a little longer, you could have got a better model.

The women won.

LOL. I heard it before, differently though.

I am not that sure the ladies won, although they do have some good points there. Perhaps their victory is not unrelated to the fact the teacher was a woman herself (\"her class\".)

Actually, the test is twisted, because each group is limited to 4 reasons only, while, to truly be of one gender, I guess there would have to be more caracteristics of one then of the other, right? So let me give you further reasoning on why it is definitely female:

A. They hear what you say but not what you mean

B. Smalltalk is important

C. One missed period and they go wild

D. You can do the same thing for years and suddenly it\'s wrong

E. The message \"Bad Command or File Name\" is about as informative as \"If you don\'t know why I\'m mad at you, then I\'m certainly not going to tell you\".

There are a few other stuff going for the male theory too, however:

A. Big power surges knock them out for the rest of the night.

B. They\'re heavily dependent on external tools and equipment.

C. They periodically cut you off right when you think you\'ve established a network connection.

D. They\'ll usually do what you ask them to do, but they won\'t do more than they have to and they won\'t think of it on their own.

E. They\'re typically obsolete within five years and need to be traded in for a new model. Some users, however, feel they\'ve already invested so much in the damn machine that they\'re compelled to remain with an underpowered system. (#4 expanded)

That\'s pretty much of a quit, but the one reason it must NOT be male is that otherwise, I wouldn\'t be able to spend most of my nights on it no more.

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:24
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excellent Apr 2, 2003

arguments both groups!!!

Andrea

Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:24
German to English
+ ...
must be male Apr 2, 2003

I suggeset a PC must be male. Computers have problems trying to do several tasks at the same time - causing them to slow down or crash, yet multi-tasking comes naturally to most women!

PS. In response to an earlier comment - I don\'t think this light-hearted humour (not restricted to America)intends to upset anyone or turn the sexes against each other -men and women are still different - and we can live with being different as long as we are treated equally.

xxxd_murat
Turkish to English
+ ...
Disagree Apr 2, 2003

if the case is the keyboard.

The keys are \"pressed\"

But if th ecase is the display, it must be female... you watch it like a Gaugin

Quote:

On 2003-04-02 14:50, kalimeh wrote:

I suggeset a PC must be male. Computers have problems trying to do several tasks at the same time - causing them to slow down or crash, yet multi-tasking comes naturally to most women!

PS. In response to an earlier comment - I don\'t think this light-hearted humour (not restricted to America)intends to upset anyone or turn the sexes against each other -men and women are still different - and we can live with being different as long as we are treated equally.

Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 16:24
English to Spanish
Gender Apr 2, 2003

In Spanish the word computer is bisexual. You can say either \"el computador\" or \"la computadora\" and nobody seems to mind.

Clara Fuentes
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree Apr 3, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-02 12:15, aherve wrote:

... joke trying to push men and women against each others.

How come I am so tired of American culture those days?

I agree with you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What gender is \"computer\"?:)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search