Thread poster: Reed James

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 22:52
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Mar 20, 2008

Hello.

I would like to set up a series of Word macros to have the basic source and target text boxes like in Trados and Wordfast. I don't need anything else but that. No TMs or TDBs.

It would just be nice to have something simple and customizable instead of an industry standard

Is this feasible?

TIA

Reed

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:52
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast without a license Mar 20, 2008

If you don't need a TM, you can just use Wordfast without a license.

Regards,
Gerard

Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
True, but I had something else in mind Mar 20, 2008

Gerard,

You are right. In fact I own and use Trados as well as Wordfast, so this really isn't an issue for me.

Rather, I want to get under the hood of the whole macro business and put snippets of image files in the source text boxes.

I want something I created myself so it can grow and change according to my needs.

Reed

xxxmediamatrix
Spanish to English
+ ...
Strange logic? Mar 20, 2008

Not being a CAT-user I'm not sure I properly understand what you want to do. But what strikes me as odd is the logic behind your enquiry.

If you are capable of 'customizing macros', if you want to 'get under the hood of the whole macro business and put snippets of image files in the source text boxes' and, finally, if you want something you 'created [your]self so it can grow and change according to [your] needs', I would have thought that a major prerequisite would be a fair amount of expertise in macro-writing and VBA (or whatever is working behind the scenes in your version of Word).

And if you have that expertise, surely you can answer your most basic question yourself: "Is it feasible?"

The answer is: 'most probably yes - if only because almost anything is possible...'

But only you can say whether it is feasible for 'you' to do it, based on your level of expertise.

That said there are probably better, more flexible and more effective ways to achieve similar results, such as writing a 'proper' program, for example with VB (6, .net, or whatever).

MediaMatrix

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:52
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Have a look at Arkadij Visotski's PlusToyz Mar 20, 2008

... There you have examples of the basic building blocks, which are necessary to handle bilingual documents. I mean, working VBA examples for it.

HiH

smo

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
WordFisher Mar 21, 2008

You might find that WordFisher gives you something similar to what you're looking for. It segments the text and opens it in two Word windows, one above and one below. You overtype your translation into the lower window while the source text remains visible in the upper one. Scrolling is coordinated so that when you click the "scroll down" arrow, both windows move down in a coordinated manner. Wordfisher used to be $30 but now it is free.

Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 21, 2008

GoodWords wrote:

You might find that WordFisher gives you something similar to what you're looking for. It segments the text and opens it in two Word windows, one above and one below. You overtype your translation into the lower window while the source text remains visible in the upper one. Scrolling is coordinated so that when you click the "scroll down" arrow, both windows move down in a coordinated manner. Wordfisher used to be $30 but now it is free.

Thanks GoodWords for the good words. I will give this application a try.

Reed

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have a look at the VBA code in the TRADOS template Mar 24, 2008

Reed D. James wrote:
I would like to set up a series of Word macros to have the basic source and target text boxes like in Trados and Wordfast. I don't need anything else but that. No TMs or TDBs.

It would just be nice to have something simple and customizable instead of an industry standard

Is this feasible?

Hi, Reed,

Well, one thing you could do is start by having a look at the VBA code in the TRADOS template. As far as I remember, it is not protected and you can have a look at it to see how it works.

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to devise a set of macros similar to Wordfast

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search