Thread poster: Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:27
English to French
+ ...
Apr 6, 2003

I have no header and footer bar any longer. I have tried to select it again but I do not find anything. So I can no longer changer header according to section.. Is there something else to do thant loading Word again.

Thanks

Martine

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:27
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not sure, but.. Apr 6, 2003

As far as I remember you need to go to View, then Toolbars and try to look for the Header and Footer option. I already have this option on my computer, and honestly I have forgotten how to do it. I hope this will help, if not, sorry . Hopefully someone else will be able to help you quickly.

Good luck,

Monika

[ This Message was edited by: monika on 2003-04-06 09:34]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Be more specific Apr 6, 2003

Hi Martine,

On a general note, whenever you ask for technical help, you should provide as much information as possible. In this case:

- Which Word version are you using (under which operating system)?

- Are you working on a .doc file, or other format?

- Which view are you using (Normal, Layout, ...)?

TIA, Ralf

Martine Etienne
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more specific for Ralf Apr 6, 2003

Words 2000 on Windows NY

.doc file

I just try to place different headers according to the different sections, but it seems that my toobar \'header and footer\' has disappear so I cannot use it to highlight \"not the same as preceding\". Sorry if is not really the english commands but my version is in french.

Thanks to Monique, I have also forgotten how to do and nothing in the help \"helps\" me solve the probleme

[ This Message was edited by: Marti
... See more
Words 2000 on Windows NY

.doc file

I just try to place different headers according to the different sections, but it seems that my toobar \'header and footer\' has disappear so I cannot use it to highlight \"not the same as preceding\". Sorry if is not really the english commands but my version is in french.

Thanks to Monique, I have also forgotten how to do and nothing in the help \"helps\" me solve the probleme

[ This Message was edited by: Martine Etienne on 2003-04-06 13:13]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:27
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Putting Header & Footer button on Toolbar in Word 2000 Apr 6, 2003

In my Word 2000, \"Header & Footer\" is on the \"View\" menu, & up to now I have always used this route for show/hide Header &

Footer.

But if you want a Header & Footer button on the toolbar, go to Tools > Customize > Commands, highlight \"View\" in the Category column, and scroll down the Commands column till you come to Header & Footer. Drag \"Header & Footer\" onto the toolbar and you will have a button enabling you to show/hide Header & Footer.

I have just don
... See more
In my Word 2000, \"Header & Footer\" is on the \"View\" menu, & up to now I have always used this route for show/hide Header &

Footer.

But if you want a Header & Footer button on the toolbar, go to Tools > Customize > Commands, highlight \"View\" in the Category column, and scroll down the Commands column till you come to Header & Footer. Drag \"Header & Footer\" onto the toolbar and you will have a button enabling you to show/hide Header & Footer.

I have just done this, and I think I\'ll keep this button in place, as it\'s a quicker way to deal with Header & Footer than going through the View menu.

So you have helped me, and I hope this helps you.

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not just for me... Apr 6, 2003

Quote:

Words 2000 on Windows NY

.doc file

Thanks - my comment was more a general one.

I\'m still using Office 97, but I guess the handling might be similar. On my system, the toolbar only appears if I access the header/footer (or, if there isn\'t one, if I access it via the \"View / Header/Footer\" menu items).

Note that toolbars are not necessarily placed on the... See more
Quote:

Words 2000 on Windows NY

.doc file

Thanks - my comment was more a general one.

I\'m still using Office 97, but I guess the handling might be similar. On my system, the toolbar only appears if I access the header/footer (or, if there isn\'t one, if I access it via the \"View / Header/Footer\" menu items).

Note that toolbars are not necessarily placed on the top of the Word window - if you accidentally double-click on the toolbar, it will \"float\" somewhere on your screen. Try resizing your Word window, and move it around - maybe the toolbar is hidden behind another application.

HTH - Ralf ▲ Collapse

Martine Etienne
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of your Apr 7, 2003

I have not been able to solve my problem. Whan I open the header and footer bar, nothing appears.

Thanks nevertheless for your attempt.

Martine

Lutz Plueckhahn
Lutz Plueckhahn  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
normal.dot Apr 7, 2003

Martine,

perhaps Word has \"lost\" some essential settings. Therefore, you should try to rename the file \"normal.dot\" into something like \"mynormal.dot\" and restart Word. Now, Word will recreate a new Normal.dot from scratch, and all settings are reset to their original values. Note that all personal settings and formats are stored in the normal.dot.

In addition to that, you can mail me your normal.dot, so I can have a look at it.

... See more
Martine,

perhaps Word has \"lost\" some essential settings. Therefore, you should try to rename the file \"normal.dot\" into something like \"mynormal.dot\" and restart Word. Now, Word will recreate a new Normal.dot from scratch, and all settings are reset to their original values. Note that all personal settings and formats are stored in the normal.dot.

In addition to that, you can mail me your normal.dot, so I can have a look at it.

Regards,

Lutz

mailto:[email protected]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word: No header and footer bar anymore

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »