Thread poster: Mariam Osmann

Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Local time: 22:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 1, 2008

Dear Prozians,

A couple of weeks ago, Outlook Express stopped sending any mail using yahoo accounts.
Yesterday, it stopped receiving and sending any message. It always says no new messages.
For my work mail account [mail.xxxx.org] messages always come back with delivery failure notification.

I have no clue abt what's going on.

Any tips?
TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An idea Apr 1, 2008

In December 2007, my ISP blocked port 25 for all users. This port is the one you configure in Outlook for sending messages (SMTP). Maybe you want to check whether this or port 110 (POP3) have been blocked by your ISP. If that is the case, you can search the Web for alternatives to these ports.

Regards,

Elías

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
German to English
+ ...
See if this helps Apr 1, 2008

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html

http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=285

http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=10918

Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:59
English to Italian
+ ...
Outlook Express sends but I can't receive Apr 2, 2008

That's the problem I am having at the moment...
But it doesn't have to do with a Yahoo account. Could you help?

TIA

Thorson
Local time: 21:59
Danish to English
Need to try different ports Apr 3, 2008

megtradb wrote:

That's the problem I am having at the moment...
But it doesn't have to do with a Yahoo account. Could you help?

TIA

So they can force your e-mail through the system and log the headers showing who you're sending it to/receiving it from (under orders from the big brother EU--European Data Retention Directive), they are blocking the standard ports 110 and 25 for accessing external servers.

Simply use an alternative port, like 2525, but check with your e-mail provider on which port to use.

The excuse was to stop terrorism, but any terrorist knows how to securely bypass their system. They are also logging all websites you visit and phone calls you make or receive. The Directive was lobbied for by the music industry so they could use the info to prosecute music sharers, which is the real reason it was passed.

Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Local time: 22:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A progress Apr 4, 2008

Thanks for all responses,

With no intervention from my side, I found that the 2 yahoo accounts work properly, same for the 2 accounts@my work site but the default account of my yahoo doesn't receive any message from outlook and reports following error at send attempts '554 Mailbox unavailable'.

TIA

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

outlook Express 6 stopped send/receive

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search