Editing tables in Word 2002
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:06
German to English
Apr 23, 2003

I figured out how to add a row in a table by placing the cursor to the right of the last row and hitting enter. Now I\'d be grateful if someone could tell me how to delete a row.

Thanks in advance, Kim

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 15:06
German to Romanian
+ ...
the way I know Apr 23, 2003

select the row (place the cursor in front of the row and then click). then press the right mouse button to call the popup menu and you will have an option for deleting the row. I hope I was able to explain it correctly, but given the late hour, I\'m not sure you can understand it. You can email me, if this doesn\'t work.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Place the mouse cursor left from the row Apr 23, 2003

then the mouse cursor (arrow) should change direction. By clicking once with the left mouse button you can select this row. Pressing CTRL+X will allow you to delete this row. Alternatively you can then right click with your mouse and select \"delete row\".

Other method can be to place the cursor in the first cell of your row and then click with the left mouse button to get the text cursor in this cell. Then press \"Shift\" and go with the mouse cursor to the rigtht side of the table (o
... See more
then the mouse cursor (arrow) should change direction. By clicking once with the left mouse button you can select this row. Pressing CTRL+X will allow you to delete this row. Alternatively you can then right click with your mouse and select \"delete row\".

Other method can be to place the cursor in the first cell of your row and then click with the left mouse button to get the text cursor in this cell. Then press \"Shift\" and go with the mouse cursor to the rigtht side of the table (outside of the table) and clik left. The row should be selected. Another option is clicking into the first cell, pressing shift and then, while holding shift, pressing the right arrow, until you get outside the table.

Then you can delete this row as mentioned above.

Please remember, that you can not only add/delete rows and colums in Word, but you are able to connect cells verticaly and horizontaly. And you can get your text to be placed in the middle of such cell verticaly and horizontaly. Word XP offers a lot of possibilities of formatting tables. It is a very good tool for making tables with text. If you want to calculate with tables, then it is better to swich to Excel. But using Excel for text tables is waisting time.

HTH

Jerzy
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Kim, the best (and the easiest) way to edit the table... Apr 23, 2003

...is through the \'Table\' menu.

Simply select some cell in your table, then go to menu \'Table\' and choose Insert (or Delete), and then Row (or column, or cell, or even the whle table).

In case you are inserting a row (or a column) you have an option of inserting it above or below the selected row, to the left or to the right from the selected column etc etc. Just see yourself.

There are also the options of merging/splitting cel
... See more
...is through the \'Table\' menu.

Simply select some cell in your table, then go to menu \'Table\' and choose Insert (or Delete), and then Row (or column, or cell, or even the whle table).

In case you are inserting a row (or a column) you have an option of inserting it above or below the selected row, to the left or to the right from the selected column etc etc. Just see yourself.

There are also the options of merging/splitting cells, converting table to text and vice versa, sorting etc etc etc.

You can also reach these (and some other options) by right-clicking on the table.

[ This Message was edited by: Natalie on 2003-04-23 22:40]
Collapse

Suzanne Bernard
Suzanne Bernard
Local time: 10:06
English to French
+ ...
Directly from Word Help Apr 23, 2003

Delete cells, rows, or columns from a table

1.Select the cells, rows, or columns you want to delete. Select a row Click to the left of the row. Tip You can also select rows, columns, or the entire table by clicking in the table and then using the Select commands on the Table menu, or by using keyboard shortcuts.

2.On the Table menu, point to Delete, and then click either Columns, Rows, or Cells.

3.If you are d
... See more
Delete cells, rows, or columns from a table

1.Select the cells, rows, or columns you want to delete. Select a row Click to the left of the row. Tip You can also select rows, columns, or the entire table by clicking in the table and then using the Select commands on the Table menu, or by using keyboard shortcuts.

2.On the Table menu, point to Delete, and then click either Columns, Rows, or Cells.

3.If you are deleting cells, click the option you want.

hth,

Suzanne

Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
English to French
General tip Apr 24, 2003

When in doubt, right click. or select and right click.

You got most basic stuff covered that way. Actually, most of the time it is just a matter of reading what it says and doing it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing tables in Word 2002

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »