Thread poster: Nesrin

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 19, 2008

Please help me urgently.
I have a very long table column which I want to copy from Word to Excel. There are manual line breaks in some cells, but when I copied the table to Excel, each cell which in Word contained several lines (with manual line breaks) turned into a number of rows in Excel.
How can I do this properly? Please help!!!

[Edited at 2008-05-19 21:12]

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:33
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Previous forum topic May 19, 2008

Hi Nesrin,
Check this one out: http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/99397-adding_tables_from_word_to_excel.html , it might be useful.
Kind regards,
Attila

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:33
English to Russian
I hope it will help you May 19, 2008

Manual line breaks within cell in Excel is "alt+Enter" (carriage return) . If the table copied into Excel changed the manual line breaks into separate cells (that's how I undesrtand you), just join/merge separate Excel cells containing one string of text that was in one cell of the Word table and use "Alt+ Enter" command where you want the text to wrap into the next line.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use OpenOffice May 19, 2008

Load the excel-file into Calculator, select the table column in Word and copy it to the location in Calculator. Save as xls. Done.
Regards
Heinrich

If you don't have OpenOffice, you can't do that, but its free software and Calculator is more compatible to MS Word than MS Excel.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-05-19 18:54]

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 09:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Search/Replace in Word before Copy/Paste to Excel May 19, 2008

In Word, select the table column, then Search for ^p and Replace with ^l.

Copy the table to Excel and it should keep the same cell arrangement.

HTH
MediaMatrix

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, that worked for me when I had the same problem recently May 19, 2008

Probably the quickest and most streamllined solution is to get the Word file right before you start!

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all :-( May 19, 2008

Thanks for all the replies, but I'm afraid I had to go the manual way, by replacing all line breaks in word by xxx, then going over each of the 300+ xxx's in the Excel file and pressing "Alt-Enter" (unfortunately, the Find & Replace options in Excel are much less user-friendly than in Word, so you can't put ^l in the Replace field and say "Replace all"). Thankfully, the client was understanding and gave me an extra couple of hours (I had sent the Word file in advance so they knew I wasn't making things up).
All this because I thought it would be easier to use Trados on Word. I learned the hard way that I really need to sit down and acquaint myself with Tag Editor!!!!!

Mediamatrix, the line breaks in the Word doc were already of the ^l variety and I had problems with it. I had originally copied the file from Excel into Word in order to work with Trados, so there were no ^p breaks anyway.

Heinrich, I'm afraid I either didn't understand your suggestion, or I don't have the necessary software.

Alexey, your solution, I think, would have been more time consuming than the one I went for in the end.

And Attila, thanks for the link. The solution you suggest there, copying to Wordpad, didn't work for me either.

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2008-05-19 18:32]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
post mortem? May 27, 2008

There must be a better way of doing this.
I never wanted to have manual line breaks in excel within a cell (it has an automatic line break option to make things fit into a cell with limited width) so I don't know how...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying Word table column into Excel

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search