Configuring Microsoft Office
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran

Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:34
English to Arabic
May 21, 2008

Dear All,

I have upgraded to Office 2007 recently, on Windows XP, but I am having one problem that occurs too often.

While working on any Word document, suddenly the program stops and an installation window appears saying "Configuring Microsoft Office", the process takes about 5 minutes, after which I always have to restart the PC in order to be able to use Word again.

Have any of you faced the same problem? If so, is there a solution or is it going to continue like this forever with Word 2007? This happens mostly twice, sometimes three times, a day.

Many thanks for your help,
Tamara

Direct link Reply with quote

strasburg
Local time: 23:34
French to English
"Install on first use" featuresin office... May 21, 2008

Tamara,
Many versions of MS office have an "install on first use" function. This means features of Word will appear to be installed but are not actually installed until they are used, causing the "Configuring Microsoft Office" message to appear.

What are you doing when this message appears? If it's the same operation each time you might want to check the installer and verify that in is installed using "Run from my computer" instead of "Install on first use".

This is of course only one possibility. Without knowing exactly what you are doing it's hard to troubleshoot.

Best of luck,
Justin

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Configuring Microsoft Office

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search