Thread poster: Scott Li

Scott Li  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 15:05
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
+ ...
May 30, 2008

My client could not paste Arabic text in MS Word created in PC. The translated texts was done in PC while my client needs to copy and paste Arabic text into Adobe Illustrator in Mac OS.

We have tried many versions in PC MS Word by using different Arabic fonts, even Unicode but without success.

Any input would be appreciated !!

Thank you !

Scott

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 03:05
English
Which is the source, target? May 30, 2008

My client could not paste Arabic text in MS Word created in PC. The translated texts was done in PC while my client needs to copy and paste Arabic text into Adobe Illustrator in Mac OS.

We have tried many versions in PC MS Word by using different Arabic fonts, even Unicode but without success.

I'm a bit confused: What is the source and what is the target (of the copy - paste)?

Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 10:05
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Arabic-MS Word Text into Illustrator May 30, 2008

Hi,

Sad news! It will not work.

Because Adobe has an Arabic package of all softwares. Due to version conflict your import will not work.

There are a few wyas though, considering text is not to large, or too long.

1- Make a PDF from MS word file.

Do not use Adobe print engine to make PDF.
Open this PDF in photoshop.
Now you have JPG version of the text.
You can cut and paste image parts into illustrators.

For sure it is not editable text in illustrator.

2- There are softwares that does coupling of Adobe with arabic keyboard. I bought and used one, but I am not happy with it.

3- Sen this file or tell your client to send /outsource this work to a DTPer with Arabic sopftware.

4- Go buy Illustrator Arabic version. This is infact the best solution

Good luck!

Nizam Yigit

[Edited at 2008-05-30 15:33]

xxxOlaf
Local time: 09:05
English to German
Try to create a PDF with PrimoPDF or Acrobat May 30, 2008

I like Nizam's idea, but I don't think that you'll need to create .pdf with images. I'd suggest that you create a .pdf file from the word doc either with the full version of Acrobat or the free PrimoPDF plug-in from http://www.primopdf.com/.
(Files created with Adobe products usually can be opened on either Macs or PCs without changes to the encoding.)
You could then try to copy and paste the text directly from Acrobat Reader on the Mac.
If that doesn't work, you could also try to open the .pdf file with AI and then either copy the text directly to the other AI file or convert the text in the PDF file to outlines and then copy the outlined text to the AI file. (AI can read and write PDF files natively.)

Olaf

xxxBrandis
Local time: 09:05
English to German
+ ...
This can function... May 30, 2008

Hi! This is not my language combination however there is a possibility.. try to get that file into .pdf format and implement a tool called Infix, this supports Unicode and maintains the string length if you are careful and talented. Once finished OCR it and get ms-word format. I have tried pre-and post processing japanese and chinese files. The product is not bad. Finally repatch into illustrator and do a revision. Brandis

Scott Li  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 15:05
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all for your inputs ! Jun 8, 2008

Thanks all for your inputs, especially Nizam and Olaf. Finally, our Arabic translator send us outlined AI files. There is really not much can do without AI Arabic version installed in PC......

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic File in PC and Mac

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search