Thread poster: Edward LIU
Edward LIU
Edward LIU  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2008

I want to obtain help from peers regarding skills in using powerpoint. The following is the summary of my question:

Can anyone tell me why the texts in some slides of a powerpoint file can be seen from the outline view, while the texts from other sides cannot be seen?

I noticed that those viewable slides in the outline all have Autofit Options tags to the left side of the text boxes.

When I converted the ppt file into doc by choosing the Send to Microsoft
... See more
I want to obtain help from peers regarding skills in using powerpoint. The following is the summary of my question:

Can anyone tell me why the texts in some slides of a powerpoint file can be seen from the outline view, while the texts from other sides cannot be seen?

I noticed that those viewable slides in the outline all have Autofit Options tags to the left side of the text boxes.

When I converted the ppt file into doc by choosing the Send to Microsoft Word under the File Tab, the output word file does not have those texts not viewable in the outline view.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to make sure the texts of all slides are completed included into the word file?

Thank you.
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
English
PP treats text as specific objects Jun 1, 2008

If you start a new presentation and type directly into the default text boxes you are given, that text will show up in the outline. In fact, it can be imported from (for example) Word and exported to Word and maintain the various levels of outline. But if you draw your own text boxes and put text inside, PowerPoint doesn't know they are -- or does not know your intent is to make them -- part of the usual hierarchal outline.

Typically people don't know the relationship between the master slides and the body slides. They don't like the default look, so when they insert a new slide, they blow away what PowerPoint gave them and draw their own stuff. They don't realize they should go the masters and design the look and feel there.

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:13
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
werecat Jun 1, 2008

you can try a wonderful free tool: werecat.

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

'Werecat is a template for MS Word. Red Werecat extracts text from PowerPoint to Word. Blue Werecat extracts text from textboxes and similar objects (shapes) from Word documents.
After translation you send the text back to the original file (PowerPoint or Word)."

P.

Edward LIU
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does the conversion lose or distorb original format? Jun 1, 2008

P Forgas wrote:

you can try a wonderful free tool: werecat.

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

'Werecat is a template for MS Word. Red Werecat extracts text from PowerPoint to Word. Blue Werecat extracts text from textboxes and similar objects (shapes) from Word documents.
After translation you send the text back to the original file (PowerPoint or Word)."

P.

Thank you. It is an amazing template. Does the conversion lose or distorb original format?

Edward LIU
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there a way to make manually added slides viewable in outline? Jun 1, 2008

Thanks. Is there a way to tell powerpoint that we want to make these added slides viewable in the outline view?

If you start a new presentation and type directly into the default text boxes you are given, that text will show up in the outline. In fact, it can be imported from (for example) Word and exported to Word and maintain the various levels of outline. But if you draw your own text boxes and put text inside, PowerPoint doesn't know they are -- or does not know your intent is to make them -- part of the usual hierarchal outline.

Typically people don't know the relationship between the master slides and the body slides. They don't like the default look, so when they insert a new slide, they blow away what PowerPoint gave them and draw their own stuff. They don't realize they should go the masters and design the look and feel there.

[Edited at 2008-06-01 21:28]

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 18:13
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Werecat warning! Oct 23, 2009

Having used Werecat to extract some 15k words from a 124-slide PPT presentation (which I then translated using Wordfast), when I got to the stage of sending the text back to PPT, horror of horrors, I got a rather terse error message telling me that the number of paragraphs was not the same. Now up till then, I hadn't even realized Werecat took any notice of paragraphs!

Well, instead of going onto 'headless chicken' panic mode, I looked tat the PPT, and was able to see at which slide
... See more
Having used Werecat to extract some 15k words from a 124-slide PPT presentation (which I then translated using Wordfast), when I got to the stage of sending the text back to PPT, horror of horrors, I got a rather terse error message telling me that the number of paragraphs was not the same. Now up till then, I hadn't even realized Werecat took any notice of paragraphs!

Well, instead of going onto 'headless chicken' panic mode, I looked tat the PPT, and was able to see at which slide, and even at which point in the slide, it had gone wrong. Examining the original extracted text (pre-translation) and the translated text with 'hidden characters' displayed, I was able to see that in fact I had repleced one line return with a manual line break. Correcting that enabled me to re-send the text back to the PPT, and it managed to pick up from where it had left off (so to speak!) and this time the text all went back in again neatly. Phew!

I just thought mentioning this here might help someone else avoid a major panic!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 18:13
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Werecat and text box formatting Oct 23, 2009

I have generally found that Werecat does not seriously disturb text box formatting — though sometimes, i have noticed it seemingly changing layering order, so a text box that was behind something else gets brought to he front, for example; no idea why!

Have also found the text boxes sometimes tend to shift position slightly, so you ought to expect a small amount of 'tweaking' to get things back to normal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending powerpoint slides to Word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »