Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:06
English to French
+ ...
Jun 9, 2008

Hi everybody,

my problem is both quite simple and annoying. I was translating a document with Trados Translator's Workbench in Word 2003 from English into french. Up to now, no problem at all. Then all of a sudden, I am unable to write a translation in the new segment. Or rather I can, but the cursor just goes from the right tot the left, as if the language were not English... And in fact it's not. Guess what: the status bar in the bottom of the window says it's Arabic. I tell mysel
... See more
Hi everybody,

my problem is both quite simple and annoying. I was translating a document with Trados Translator's Workbench in Word 2003 from English into french. Up to now, no problem at all. Then all of a sudden, I am unable to write a translation in the new segment. Or rather I can, but the cursor just goes from the right tot the left, as if the language were not English... And in fact it's not. Guess what: the status bar in the bottom of the window says it's Arabic. I tell myself: no problem, just close the segment, press Ctrl+A and choose English for the whole document. Only the application will not change this segment very language. So I am unable to translate it...
So one little segment is driving me a bit mad I must say... Any idea of what I could do? A big thank you in advance to anyone who'll be able to solve this...

Annelise
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Possible solution Jun 9, 2008

Select the whole text beforehand (or close your Workbench segment to do so), choose Tools / Language (is it called that way in English? Not sure...), select the desired language and it should be ok.

If nothing helps, copy the segment to notepad and paste 'm back in from there. This should clear out all the formatting.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A flaw in Word + Trados Jun 9, 2008

Indeed, we have seen this in the past. The solution we found was to change the language of the source text to the target language even before translation. Otherwise Trados messes things up and treats your source text as Arabic, turning sentences all around.

So grab the source file again, change the language to French, and translate. I hope this helps.

Annelise Meyer
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a flaw indeed Jun 10, 2008

Hello,

thank you for your answers! Wolfgang, in fact the 1st solution you're proposing was the first one I tried. But it did not work, because I had already opend the segment and Word did not want to change this particular segment any more. Which is why I posted this...
Anyway, it took me some minutes before I was able to copy-paste the translation from a text file to the segment without altering the trados tags. In fact I could change the language of the target segment, but
... See more
Hello,

thank you for your answers! Wolfgang, in fact the 1st solution you're proposing was the first one I tried. But it did not work, because I had already opend the segment and Word did not want to change this particular segment any more. Which is why I posted this...
Anyway, it took me some minutes before I was able to copy-paste the translation from a text file to the segment without altering the trados tags. In fact I could change the language of the target segment, but I still cannot change the one of the source segment, so I guess I will have to follow Tomas' advice: re-open the orinal version of the file (before translation) and change the language globally. That is just one other thing I like with Word+Trados...

Thank you again!

Annelise
Collapse

ilija5150
ilija5150
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Tick off Automatic Language Selection. Jun 19, 2008

The simplest or one of the solutions to you problem if this ever happens again is to select the whole text first then go to Tools/Language/Set Language and untick Detect language Automatically.

I've found that this helps most of the time.

Annelise Meyer
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip! Jun 21, 2008

Hi Ilija,

Thanks for the tip, I actually found this option while looking for a solution and disabled it.
Best,

Annelise

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Similar problem, but unrelated to Trados Jun 21, 2008

I recently encountered a similar problem when using Word 2003 under XP. But I don't use Trados at all.

One particular section of text seemed to get stubbornly stuck into 'Arabic', and absolutely nothing I could do seemed to cure it; I believe in the end the only workaround I found was to copy a whole chunk out into a text editor to presumably strip out any formatting; I couldn't do this for the whole doc, as it was quite large and had a lot of complex formatting that I couldn
... See more
I recently encountered a similar problem when using Word 2003 under XP. But I don't use Trados at all.

One particular section of text seemed to get stubbornly stuck into 'Arabic', and absolutely nothing I could do seemed to cure it; I believe in the end the only workaround I found was to copy a whole chunk out into a text editor to presumably strip out any formatting; I couldn't do this for the whole doc, as it was quite large and had a lot of complex formatting that I couldn't afford to lose.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change the language in Word 2003

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »