Changing footnote sequence in Word
Thread poster: Kim Metzger

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:05
German to English
Jul 24, 2008

I'm using MS Word 2002 in a document that lists footnotes sequentially in the first part of the document, 1 to 12, and then in an appendix starts a new sequence of footnotes. I need to find out how to start the appendix with footnote number 1 and so on. I tried using page break but that didn't solve the problem: I get footnote number 13 instead of 1.
Help appreciated. Kim

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:05
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Abschnittswechsel Jul 24, 2008

Dear Kim,

I'm using Word 2002 in German, and I am not sure how the relevant menu items are called in English, but here goes:

Click on: Einfügen - Referenz - Fußnote

In the window that opens, you can set the numeration of the footnotes to begin anew after each new section.

Then, you'll have to use a section break instead of a page break.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Erik

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:05
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Section break Jul 24, 2008

Thanks very much, Erik. It worked like a charm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing footnote sequence in Word

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search