Selection menu in Excel file - how to translate?
Thread poster: Levan Namoradze

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 02:50
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Sep 12, 2008

I got an Excel file containing an opening selection menu (in one of the cells). I need to translate that menu. However, I could not do so. Could anyone, please, advise how I can do that?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-09-12 12:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:50
French to English
Possible solution Sep 12, 2008

Are you referring to a cell with an arrow on the right-hand side, which displays a drop-down list if you click on it? If so, the items in the list are probably contained somewhere on another sheet. Try looking at the different tabs at the bottom of the screen.

If I remember correctly, drop-down lists are created using the Validation command in the Data menu (where you reference the range of values to be included in the list). If you want to find exactly where the list items are, select the cell containing the drop-down list. Click on Data and then Validation. In the dialogue box displayed (Options tab), look at what it says in the Source field - that will tell you where the data comes from. If the source field contains a name (meaning that a name has been used to refer to a set of values), go back to the sheet. In the drop-down list in the top-left corner of the screen (the field that displays the cell name, such as A1), click on the arrow and look for the name specified in the Source field. If you click on that name, it will take you there, so that you can then translate the items.

Hope I didn't waffle too much!

Simon

Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here is the content Sep 12, 2008

The Source field content is as follows: =$M$2:$M$9. And I failed to see the selection content within all 3 sheets of the file.

Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:50
French to English
Hidden column? Sep 12, 2008

Unless I'm mistaken (which is certainly possible), the source field content you've given means that the data is from cell M2 to M9. Have a quick look. Can you see them? Is column M displayed? Otherwise, it could be that column M has been hidden, in which case you'll need to show it (select the columns on either side of M, right-click and select "Show").

Does that help?

Simon

Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 12, 2008

Thank you! I followed your instructions and found the data.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Selection menu in Excel file - how to translate?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search