Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:11
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 17, 2008

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put the topic.

I'd like to buy a device I can use to see my e-mail when I am not at home, even when I'm abroad (gmail, hotmail + outlook - the outlook e-mail I use is from my Internet Provider).

I know there are these 3 solutions in the market, but I'm not sure of which to buy.

What do you use? What do you advise me?

Thank you in advance,
Ivana

Direct link Reply with quote

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:11
Italian to English
+ ...
Any of those will do what you want. Sep 17, 2008

All of those will do what you want.

It'll come down to what other things you want to do with it?

Personally I use a Blackberry (Curve) and am quite happy with it, because I can find pretty much any application, including commercial dictionaries, for it. I know you can also find any imaginable application for a WinMo based PDA or smartphone too. The iPhone has its own app store that I understand is growing daily.

I should also mention that I prefer a physical keyboard, but again, people I've talked to that use and iPhone swear by the virtual keyboard.

R.
==

[Edited at 2008-09-17 21:30]

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Smartphone Sep 17, 2008

They all basically do the same thing (except the PDA which is not a phone, except PDA like the Palm). The difference is basically on the OS that they run, but the line between each type of device is disappearing: they all have a browser, push-email, phone capabilities, etc. The line is in the features I guess. IMHO, the iPhone is too much hype about nothing and there are better phones out there.

I have an HTC Smartphone, which I adore. After a lot of research, I found it was the perfect choice for me. But you might want to do your own research to select the features that are better for you. Check out his video: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=is4jFZn866w

Paola Lopez del Puerto Garcia  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
I'd go for BlackBerry Sep 17, 2008

Hi Ivana,

Both replies are true: they all get the job done.

I use a blackberry Pearl and I'm really happy with the device; it opens word, excel, pdf, images, etc. and it has a fixed rate (at least in Mexico). As far as I know, with the other two devices, PDA and iPhone, the monthly charge depends on the amount of downloaded/uploaded kilobytes, whereas Blackberry service charges a fixed monthly rate and you can surf and download email all day long for no extra charge.

Hope it helps!!
Paola

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
BlackBerry 8830 Sep 17, 2008

Hi Ivana,
If you want to use a BlackBerry abroad, get the World Edition - 8830.
I'm a new BlackBerry user and I love it.

Amy

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Montly charges Sep 18, 2008

Paola Lopez del Puerto Garcia wrote:

Hi Ivana,

Both replies are true: they all get the job done.

I use a blackberry Pearl and I'm really happy with the device; it opens word, excel, pdf, images, etc. and it has a fixed rate (at least in Mexico). As far as I know, with the other two devices, PDA and iPhone, the monthly charge depends on the amount of downloaded/uploaded kilobytes, whereas Blackberry service charges a fixed monthly rate and you can surf and download email all day long for no extra charge.

Hope it helps!!
Paola

That depends on the carrier; mine has several data plans that go from 1MB monthly to unlimited data, and that's for any phone.

[Edited at 2008-09-18 00:15]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Better use laptop Sep 18, 2008

Abroad you will have problems when transferring data to a phone. Even if your provider has roaming contracts with most countries the bill will increase considerably. With a laptop and Wlan you can surf free of charge in a lot of places. These new small laptops with 9 inch screens and Linux are very tempting.
But personally I have decided against working out of office. It spoils the holiday if you try to work part of the time, and you easily make mistakes when in a hurry. Quality of translations will be less than optimal.
Once I had taken my laptop on a spa holiday. When answering mail at the first day I accepted one job but later realised that I could not deliver on time. So I had to cancel and lost a customer (well, they still use me, but not for big jobs).

regards
Heinrich

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:11
Italian to English
+ ...
get a smartphone that does wifi Sep 18, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

With a laptop and Wlan you can surf free of charge in a lot of places.
Heinrich

True, but look around - my smartphone can pick up wifi signals and I can check my mail and use the internet (albeit on a pretty small screen) for free when abroad, provided I can pick up a signal. Over here I have a 3G package on my contract.

Cheers,
Amy

[Edited at 2008-09-18 07:56]

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
WinMo Smartphone here Sep 18, 2008

... and happy with it, but I was amazed by the iPhone's look and feel when I saw it at a friend's. I might not go for it at present time, but I will certainly keep an eye on it.

Jennifer Hejtmankova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:11
Member (2007)
Czech to English
+ ...
I love the iPhone... Sep 18, 2008

...for everything but phoning! It's too big!

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

... and happy with it, but I was amazed by the iPhone's look and feel when I saw it at a friend's. I might not go for it at present time, but I will certainly keep an eye on it.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
A netbook? Oct 16, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

These new small laptops with 9 inch screens and Linux are very tempting.

Heinrich

I think this is what these minicomputers are called. I bought one a month ago becuase my partner and I were both going to be away for 10 days. 400 euros (Spain) but I'm sure prices will come down, as already there is growing interest and competition appears to be growing too.

I bought EEE PC, very small, but adequate for 3 things that I needed:

- deal with mail
- do a little work in Word
- read/amend Powerpoints

Now I'm back home, I often do a bit of work on it over coffee in a local bar in the morning.

It wouldn't support a CAT tool, but I simply create the segments beforehand and then work between the tags. And it also allows changes to be tracked.

Finally it picks up wifi connections, and although I haven't needed to do this yet, you can join a site like FONERO http://www.fon.com/en/ if you want to guarantee free Internet access almost anywhere that isn't a small town like mine, where the only place to get wifi is the library.

A colleague used it to Skype too (I haven't yet), which saves money on calls, and is also very convenient.

Finally, something I haven't investigated yet is the online storage you can sign up for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

iphone, PDA or Blackberry?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search