Thread poster: Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 14:11
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 20, 2008

Hello,

I am going insane with the various layers of graphic elements and texts in Powerpoint.

In my presentation there are several "pictures" which in fact are grouped text and graphic elements. In order to translate them I ungrouped it but then the order of the elements changed (some disappeared to the background, others came to the foreground). There are so many elements in this "picture", to some of them I do not even seem to have access because they are hidden. My questions:

- is there a function in Powerpoint which allows me to "memorize" the order of the elements so that after I change de background/foreground position of the layers I can easily position the elements to its original depth?

- I know that using the TAB key I can navigate to the various objects. But in such groupings of text and images there are so many elements that it takes a long time until I reach a element I want to edit, sometimes I don't even reach it. Is there a way to make each one of the elements accessible and editable in a more useable way?

- One improvised solution: to move elements apart, process them and move back again to their places. This seems to me a poor solution - not only it takes time to do that, also it is impossible to attain the original position of the elements if I do all that manually.

I would appreciate any clues and keys to solve this obscure characteristic of Powerpoint.

Cheers,
Marcos

Direct link Reply with quote

Rimma Kehr
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Creative suggestion Sep 20, 2008

Hello Marcos,

if I were you, I tried to do this job in other software which is compatible with Power Point, and then import my file into Power Point.
For example, you can do it in Word, Excel, maybe in FrameMaker or InDesign (I am not sure or Adobe software can be imported into Power Point), then convert your file to the PDF or MIF, then import it into Power Point.
As for me, I don't like Power Point, it seems to me to be not very good software.

Best regards

Rimma

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Try extracting the text with Werecat Sep 20, 2008

Dear Marcus,

I'd download and use the freeware David Daduč has created.
http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

There's a fair chance that Werecat can extract all text into a Word document, ready to be translated with Wordfast or Trados.

Regards,
Gerard

Marcos Zattar
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using other software Sep 20, 2008

Thanks Gerard, I already done this. With Trados 7 I do not have access to such object bundles.

Rimma, your might be a good solution. I tried opening it in Word but it did not work. Do you think I could send you the slide for you to take a look?

Rimma Kehr
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Using other software Sep 20, 2008

Hello Marcos,

please, send me your source files, and I try to check it.

Best regards

Rimma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint - Various layers with text and pictures

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search