Romina Fanzini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2008

Hi everybody!

I have a question for anyone who is a bit more of an expert than me...:P

I'm currently using Mozilla Thunderbird on Vista, as my default mail client.
The problem is, I receive e-mails but can't send them, so I have to open Windows Mail and send them from there. At this point, I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to shift to WM altogether, but I'd like to move all my Thunderbird folders to WM...Does anyone know how (and IF) this can be done?

Thanks a lot!

Romina

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomas Forro  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Thunderbird rules! Sep 24, 2008

Hi Romina,
I think Thunderbird is much better than built-in viasta applications.
The problem with sending of your messages is probably only a matter of settings.
What e mail provider do you use? Is it some well-known free mail service like gmail or, say, yahoo? Or do you have an email in your own domain?
I don't know of any way how you could move your folders from thunderbird into other email client.
Usually, this problems are to be solved on the side of the email client into which you are importing.

[Zmieniono 2008-09-24 11:57]

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:18
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Pocomail and Barca Sep 24, 2008

Hi

Not directly related to your query but just wanted to share that I've been using Pocomail as my default email client and am very much happy with it. See www.pocomail.com for details of Pocomail and Barca.

Best
rahi

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree! Sep 24, 2008

Tomas Forro wrote:

Hi Romina,
I think Thunderbird is much better than built-in viasta applications.
The problem with sending of your messages is probably only a matter of settings.
What e mail provider do you use? Is it some well-known free mail service like gmail or, say, yahoo? Or do you have an email in your own domain?
I don't know of any way how you could move your folders from thunderbird into other email client.
Usually, this problems are to be solved on the side of the email client into which you are importing.

[Zmieniono 2008-09-24 11:57]

Hi Tomas!

I agree with you, Thunderbird is much better!The problem is that is keeps asking for my password when I try to send e-mails and even if I insert it, nothing happens!!My e-mail provider is an Italian free one called Libero, and apparently since they have changed their Internet interface for Webmail access, I've started to have problems!
I've tried checking if Windows Mail recognizes Thunderbird for importing, but it doesn't!!:(

Romina

Tomas Forro  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
It should be no problem Sep 24, 2008

I'll be back in a few hours and I'll have a look at your provider's settings.
Until then, I would need to create one new email account on libero, so that I can see their settings, but it is asking me for italian telephone number. If you can do it for me and send me on my email (see my profile at proz.com) username and password of this new email, in the evening I will send you configuration for your thunderbird.
Usually, the configuration is matter of a few minutes.

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers Sep 24, 2008

Tomas Forro wrote:
I would need to create one new email account on libero, so that I can see their settings, but it is asking me for italian telephone number. If you can do it for me and send me on my email (see my profile at proz.com) username and password of this new email, in the evening I will send you configuration for your thunderbird.

Thanks for your help Tomas!
Should I create an e-mail account with fake data or with your own ones?...Actually, as far as I could see from Libero Help page on configuration settings, it all seems perfect in my client...I don't know what to think!
Anyway, if you are able to check, I can send you the new account details to your e-mail address.

Romina

QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Try this Sep 24, 2008

Email settings here: http://assistenza.libero.it/supporto/parametri_conf.phtml
How to configure email client here: http://assistenza.libero.it/posta/configurazioni/win4.phtml

It's quite possible you have not set the outgoing server correctly or the settings have been changed on the server side and you have not updated your local machine.

In Thunderbird, Tools->Account Settings-> (at the very bottom) Outgoing server (SMTP) and check if you have entered the correct setting. The out going server setting for Libero is mail.libero.it.

BTW. Thunderbird's master password function saves you typing password every time you want to send an email.

Hope this helps.

Another T-bird user

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No use Sep 24, 2008

... at large wrote:

Email settings here: http://assistenza.libero.it/supporto/parametri_conf.phtml
How to configure email client here: http://assistenza.libero.it/posta/configurazioni/win4.phtml

It's quite possible you have not set the outgoing server correctly or the settings have been changed on the server side and you have not updated your local machine.

In Thunderbird, Tools->Account Settings-> (at the very bottom) Outgoing server (SMTP) and check if you have entered the correct setting. The out going server setting for Libero is mail.libero.it.

BTW. Thunderbird's master password function saves you typing password every time you want to send an email.

Hope this helps.

Another T-bird user

I've already tried all of the above several times, but nothing works!!!And the password window always pops out (and doesn't seem to recognize the passoword, even if it is correct!)!!:(

NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Thunderbird is fine but use gmail Sep 24, 2008

I'm using thunderbird in Italy with a libero account with no problems at all on a laptop with Vista.
I have found one bug though. Mail doesn't seem to be sent if the outgoing server contains different alternative accounts with one default account. I have to delete all the outgoing servers except the default server.

However, my advice to you would be use a gmail account and carefully follow the instructions on gmail about how to set up your thunderbird email service. Gmail has many advantages and for me one very big one: wherever you are you don't need to change the outgoing server settings. Everthing goes through gmail.It took me 20 minutes to change over to gmail and inform all my clients of my new address.

[Edited at 2008-09-24 14:50]

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:18
German to English
+ ...
ISP relay Sep 24, 2008

Does your ISP not provide an outgoing mail relay server address? If it does, it may be blocking your attempts to use another outgoing mail server or mail transfer agent.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:18
Spanish
+ ...
Delete Thunderbird Sep 24, 2008

I also had a similar problem with Thuderbird. Apparently even though the settings were being set, something else was causing the problems, so I completely uninstalled Thunderbird. I mean, I uninstalled it and I also deleted the 2 Thunderbird folders. Go to the Mozilla's Thunderbird knowledge base for complete instructions. After the re-installation, everything was working fine again. I hope that fixes your problem with the password because no other Email application compares to Thunderbird.

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same problem on new computer Sep 24, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I also had a similar problem with Thuderbird. Apparently even though the settings were being set, something else was causing the problems, so I completely uninstalled Thunderbird. I mean, I uninstalled it and I also deleted the 2 Thunderbird folders. Go to the Mozilla's Thunderbird knowledge base for complete instructions. After the re-installation, everything was working fine again. I hope that fixes your problem with the password because no other Email application compares to Thunderbird.

Hi Claudia!

I agree that TB is absolutely unique!Trouble is, I've just changed my laptop, installed a new version and restored the backed up e-mails on the new computer...But it seems I have imported the problem, together with everything else!!!:( I really don't know what to do, at this point!!:_(

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No idea Sep 24, 2008

Robert Tucker wrote:

Does your ISP not provide an outgoing mail relay server address? If it does, it may be blocking your attempts to use another outgoing mail server or mail transfer agent.

It may be the case, but I really have no idea!I may need a little help to find it out, though!!

NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Other solution? Sep 24, 2008

If you can send emails with Vista mail but not with thunderbird and you have not made any mistakes programming TB something must be blocking TB such as your antivirus program. McAfee blocks TB for example. Try and turn off all you security programs one by one.

Also check in TB the File | Offline | Offline settings
and make sure you can send unsent messages

[Edited at 2008-09-24 18:25]

See also http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cannot_send_mail

[Edited at 2008-09-24 18:28]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Just alchemy Sep 24, 2008

On my laptop, Thunderbird gets in conflict with a Logitech webcam. It might be worth trying to switch your webcam off to see what happens...

Antonin

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mozilla Thunderbird vs Windows Vista Mail

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search