+ ...
Oct 1, 2008

Hello all,

Every time that I open Office Word (2003), I get the message
"Microsoft Visual Basic
Run time error 5
Invalid procedure call or argument"

I am given the choice "end".

What does this mean? Should I be worried? How do I get rid of it?

I don't remember doing anything unusual with MS Word that might have caused this. It has been going on for two days now.

Thank you in advance!

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:53
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Corrupt .dot template file in MS Word Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like a problem with a MS Word template .dot file. See
http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/article16.htm
for something similar

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:53
Spanish
+ ...
Try deleting the normal file Oct 1, 2008

Usually deleting the Normal.dot file solves Visual Basic problems in Word. Close Word (make sure it's not running in the background), find the templates folder and delete the Normal.dot file.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 16:53
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And what will I do without a Normal.dot? Oct 1, 2008

Thank you for answering, Claudia!

I'm sorry if I sound completely ignorant, but is it OK to be without a Normal.dot? Will Word work after that?

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:53
Spanish
+ ...
Yes Oct 1, 2008

The Normal.dot template will be created once you open Word.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 16:53
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Super lucky?? Oct 1, 2008

Well, I tried to locate the normal.dot, but I couldn't, probably because the folder that contains it is secret. All I could find was the Multiterm dot and the dot of some pdf programme I have installed. And I remembered that the last few days I tried to use Multiterm (which I never use, because I'm not familiar with it, but I thought to give it a try...), so I deleted the Multiterm dot and the error message disappeared! That's probably what had been causing the trouble! Thank you very much for y... See more
Well, I tried to locate the normal.dot, but I couldn't, probably because the folder that contains it is secret. All I could find was the Multiterm dot and the dot of some pdf programme I have installed. And I remembered that the last few days I tried to use Multiterm (which I never use, because I'm not familiar with it, but I thought to give it a try...), so I deleted the Multiterm dot and the error message disappeared! That's probably what had been causing the trouble! Thank you very much for your interest and your ideas!Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visual Basic error 5

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »