Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:49
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

I am about to lose all my clients today and tomorrow, because I am so heavily booked, and have so many deadlines, and now Word will not work any more.

I have Word 2007. Trados stopped working, and then I found out the problem was with Word. I can no longer edit any Word documents. I can add characters on to the end of a translation, but I cannot go back and make any changes. Everything up to the last character written in the document is completely locked and cannot be edited.

I tried System Restore, but just got a message on the screen to the effect "CAN'T, WON'T". Computers are so pleasant sometimes.

I also tried downloading a new copy of Word - a trial version - thinking a new copy might work. However it does not. I had previously tried "Repair MS Office installation", and that did not work either.

Then I tried converting my Word document, that I wanted to proofread, into a .pdf, and then turning it back into a fresh Word document with Abbyy Fine Reader. I tried saving it as .txt, .doc and .rtf in turn. Whatever I tried, I just got an uneditable document, like a .pdf on a Word screen.

Now I cannot translate either, and cannot proofread or deliver what I have translated.

It's so hard to have to tell all my clients that I cannot deliver the translations, and simply lose them all.

Astrid

P.S. How it happened: My mouse broke on Saturday, so I sent off for a new mouse, which came yesterday. After I installed it, it just wrecked my computer. That's why I tried System Restore, but, as I said, the computer answered "can't, won't".

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
English to German
+ ...
Oh my. Oct 16, 2008

Have you tried bypassing Word for now by downloading OpenOffice? It's free, compatible and might be a quick fix for now.

http://download.openoffice.org/

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, it's downloading already Oct 16, 2008

Thanks, Nicole, it's downloading - so there's one more hope at least!

Astrid

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
delete normal.dot Oct 16, 2008

I've heard that this can sometimes help when Word goes crazy - try deleting normal.dot, and when you re-start Word, it will be automatically recreated.

Also - I assume you already uninstalled the mouse, and tried to reinstall Word?

4leavedClover  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:49
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
You can always use WordPad to open Word files in urgent situations Oct 16, 2008

It's free with Windows. You can find it in the Accessories group. Also sometimes it helps if you just shut down the computer and leave it for a while. You can use that time to have a rest, too.
Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-10-16 10:44]

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Open Office worked! Oct 16, 2008

Thanks very much for that tip, Nicole!

Thanks for the various other suggestions, too.

The problem turned out to be caused by my new mouse, that I installed yesterday afternoon. When the computer technician came this morning he said that that particular mouse is well-known for causing problems of that kind, and I could Google for the model of mouse and read all about it! It comes with some software to install, but the software is outdated. It is necessary to download a new driver from somewhere once the mouse is installed. After it has a new driver it works. Of course, today was such a busy day anyway, that the episode really added to the confusion.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! How do I make Word work again?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search