Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:29
German to English
Oct 28, 2008

Hi all,
I just upgraded to Office 2007 and Vista (sigh) and I also use a Blackberry to get my emails when out and about.
So when I am going out I close Outlook and then I should get the emails on the Blackberry but Outlook 2007 has some kind of background mode so even if I press Exit in Outlook it stays running and the emails come on the PC and not on the Blackberry, which is to put it mildly frustrating me. So what can I do? How can I persuade Outlook to really close down or do I ha
... See more
Hi all,
I just upgraded to Office 2007 and Vista (sigh) and I also use a Blackberry to get my emails when out and about.
So when I am going out I close Outlook and then I should get the emails on the Blackberry but Outlook 2007 has some kind of background mode so even if I press Exit in Outlook it stays running and the emails come on the PC and not on the Blackberry, which is to put it mildly frustrating me. So what can I do? How can I persuade Outlook to really close down or do I have to shut down the PC??
Thanks
Gillian
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:29
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Just an idea - mail window open? Oct 28, 2008

Dear Gillian,

I don't use Outlook, but Thunderbird, so I am not sure if this will help in your situation, but anyway:

I had the same problem and realized that an opened mail is enough for Thunderbird to show this behaviour, even if the main program is closed. So maybe you could try to close every window that is remotely related with outlook and see if the problem persists.

Kind regards,
Erik

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
shut the computer down? Oct 28, 2008

Gillian Searl wrote:

Hi all,
So when I am going out I close Outlook and then I should get the emails on the Blackberry but Outlook 2007 has some kind of background mode so even if I press Exit in Outlook it stays running and the emails come on the PC and not on the Blackberry, which is to put it mildly frustrating me. So what can I do? How can I persuade Outlook to really close down or do I have to shut down the PC??
Thanks
Gillian

Hi Gillian,

I do not use office 2007 or vista (sigh) but I think you can at least shut down your computer or unplug the internet connection:)

What? your computer runs on solar power and cannot be shut down?

Joke aside, try this and see if it works:

Start Outlook click on Tools>>Mail Accounts>>choose "check or edit current accounts" and click Next>>pick an account and click Change>>Click Other Settings>>Advanced tab>>Check "Keep a copy of mails on server"

Nice day.

Dallas

[Edited at 2008-10-28 07:45]

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Task Manager Oct 28, 2008

Hello Gillian

This happens to me sometimes too.
What you need to do after closing outlook:

Open Task Manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL)
Go to PROCESSES and look for OUTLOOK under 'image name'
Select and click "end process"

This will close Outlook down completely.
Hope this helps.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
ALternative solution Oct 28, 2008

I do not use Outlook, so I am not sure what actual options it offers, but regrading e-mail management on several PCs, you can consider:

- delayed deletion of messages downloaded from the server

- keeping the downloaded messages on the server and deleting them from there manually

- using an IMAP account (probably the best among them)

HTH
Antonin

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 11:29
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Check the tray area Oct 28, 2008

Gillian Searl wrote:

Hi all,
Thanks
Gillian
Did you check if there is not an icon of Outlook in the system tray area (AKA taskbar notifcation area)? Clicking on that icon and selecting the appropriate command - exit or whatever - should end Outlook.
And to second a previous poster - if you don't want to turn off your computer, because it starts too slowly, you could go into standby mode, which is called 'Sleep' in Vista, I think. And you can even change what the computer does when you press the power button. In Vista the default behaviour is to enter hibernation, I believe. Change that to entering standby mode and you can simply press the button, when you leave the computer, and it enters standby in a couple of seconds. And then it is operational again in no more than five seconds (presuming no power outages in the meantime).

P.S. On a second thought, what I am describing (the tray icon) might be valid just for Outlook 2003. Not having Outlook 2007 near me does not help It seems that a lot of people are looking for a solution to this problem on the Internet, but there doesn't seem to be a general recipe.

[Edited at 2008-10-28 10:53]

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:29
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
the icon isn't in the tray Oct 28, 2008

Today I put it to "sleep" - that seems to work

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Really closing Outlook 2007

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »