Cursor disappears when changing the keyboard language
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:54
Czech to German
+ ...
Oct 31, 2008

Hello,

maybe you know that: when working with texts with different special characters you have to change the keyboard to the other language during translation to insert such a character and when changing back - your cursor has disappeared. So you are searching for the word you had written before that interruption and are losing precious time, moreover your fingers have to leave the keyboard and take the mouse to insert the cursor again and then go on writing - until the next stop...

Unfortunately in Czech there are lots of characters which are different from German (or vice versa) so this is driving me nutsicon_mad.gif I'm aware of the fact that it is a normal feature of Word but maybe someone of you happens to know a work-around? I'd be really grateful for any hint!

Charlotte

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:54
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
You could create shortcut keys in Word Oct 31, 2008

....through the Insert>Symbol menus for the accented Czech (or German) characters you need, and then you could use these every time you need such a character, without having to change keyboards.
This is OK for Word, but it doesn't work elsewhere, e.g. for inserting such characters in a forum post as I am doing now. As far as I know, the only ways of doing this are to change keyboards or (even more laborious), write what you want in Word, select and save it, and then copy it in.

Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
Alt + [num] codes? Oct 31, 2008

I don't know if this would work for your particular character sets, but certainly using the Alt + [num] codes for accented characters etc. can sometimes help, and solves the problem Jack has highlighted, since these are not Word-specific, and hence can be used in most places (including forum posts on ProZ.com, etc.)

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 3, 2008

@ Jack: I didn't know that but it seems to be a very good way!

@ Tony: I tried this before (and it's working) but unfortunately I don't manage to learn all these numbers by hearticon_frown.gif Normally I'm in need of Czech characters only in Word but you are right, for posting on websites I'll have to grasp the nettle...

Charlotte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cursor disappears when changing the keyboard language

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search