https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/120250-text_field_cannot_be_placed_correctly_ms_word.html

Text field cannot be placed correctly - MS-Word
Thread poster: Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 22:56
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 10, 2008

Hello,

in my present projekt I had to cope with images containing text in MS-Word. My contractor requested me to place text boxes with the corresponding translations over the original text in these images (which evidently were not recognized by the CAT-Tool).

It worked pretty well, with exception of one of the lines: after creating a text field with the translation, I try to drag it over the area of the image where the original text is, but it does not stick to it. It s
... See more
Hello,

in my present projekt I had to cope with images containing text in MS-Word. My contractor requested me to place text boxes with the corresponding translations over the original text in these images (which evidently were not recognized by the CAT-Tool).

It worked pretty well, with exception of one of the lines: after creating a text field with the translation, I try to drag it over the area of the image where the original text is, but it does not stick to it. It slides down right under the image. I noticed that behind the image there was another instance of image, but with text in English. I suppose that, before me, the text was translated from English to my source language using the same method I am using now: placing text fields over the images.

I tried different options for this problematic text field, but it does not seem to work. Maybe it has something to do with ancoring.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Marcos

BTW: I work with MS-Office 2003 SP3
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Is the image tsef placed in a box? Nov 10, 2008

Or even worser, in a table?
The best would be placing the image with text in line.

HTH
Jerzy

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
check the layout attribute of your text box (and the image) Nov 10, 2008

Word treats text boxes as images, and they can have various formatting options, including 'Layout'. To configure these options, select 'Text Box' in the 'Format' menu and click the 'Layout' tab.
Note: one of the options is 'in line with text' This means that the text box is treated as a text element (effectively as though it were a character in a font), which means that it can be embedded in a line of text or treated as a separate paragraph.

If your text box is formatted as '
... See more
Word treats text boxes as images, and they can have various formatting options, including 'Layout'. To configure these options, select 'Text Box' in the 'Format' menu and click the 'Layout' tab.
Note: one of the options is 'in line with text' This means that the text box is treated as a text element (effectively as though it were a character in a font), which means that it can be embedded in a line of text or treated as a separate paragraph.

If your text box is formatted as 'In line with text', you cannot place it on top of an image. Change the Layout attribute to something else, such as 'In front of text'.

Some combinations of the layout attributes of the image and the text box might also prevent them from overlapping.
Collapse

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved: "in front of text" vs. "in line with text" Nov 10, 2008

Jerzy: no it was not in a table or box.

Ken: you hint helped me solve the problem. I already had chosen "in front of text" to the stubborn text field, but it still did not work. After you msg, I verified the same option to the big image itself: it was also "in front of text". I changed this to "in line with text" and then it worked, thanks!

So:

- image which serves as basis/background: in line with text
- text field to be positioned over this image: i
... See more
Jerzy: no it was not in a table or box.

Ken: you hint helped me solve the problem. I already had chosen "in front of text" to the stubborn text field, but it still did not work. After you msg, I verified the same option to the big image itself: it was also "in front of text". I changed this to "in line with text" and then it worked, thanks!

So:

- image which serves as basis/background: in line with text
- text field to be positioned over this image: in front of text

thanks again!

regards
marcos
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
thanks for the feedback Nov 11, 2008

Glad to hear you solved your problem. I suppose it's logical that two objects can't both be 'in front of text' and overlap at the same time, although I wouldn't have thought of this right away -- but with software anything's possible, for better or worse.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text field cannot be placed correctly - MS-Word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »