Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:50
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 3, 2008

Hello everyone,
Could someone help me locate my automatically generated back-up files (.wbk)?
Recently, and for reasons entirely unknown to me, I have mailed out translated files that were ”empty”: clients would politely email me back and point out that I had sent them an empty file. When I then checked the attachment I had mailed, I found that yes, indeed the file
I had sent them was utterly empty. Which was especially annoying in case of invoices
Anyways, in all of those cases I was able to retrieve a temp file and had to redo only part of my work. I still don’t know why this happened, but found that rebooting will stop that behaviour.
(in case this has happened to you and you know why, please tell me!!!)

It was during one of those incidents that I started looking for the back-up files that my computer supposedly generates automatically. But where do I find them? I remember that they used to be in the same folder to which I save the current/working copy of a file. Now, the folder only shows my regular files and temp files.

When I go to Tools>Options> File locations I am shown the path to the temp files, but wbk files are not mentioned anywhere.

BTW, I am very fond of that neat little “Inforapid Search& Replace” application – and it even found the wbk copies for me, but it also refuses to tell me where they are located ( i.e. I cannot access or open them)

My system info: Windows XP Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 3

My Saving settings:
Under options, I have checked: : Always create backup copy and Allow for background saves and Save Autorecover info every 3 minutes ( you can see how paranoid I am to lose anythingJ).

I would be very grateful for any insights. Thanks so much!
Johanna

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
Local time: 13:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
- Dec 3, 2008

I don't know what software makes those backups but I'll take a stab in the dark and say the files are probably there in the same folder as the original, just hidden. Or maybe they are not.
Total commander shows hidden files by default. Install it if you don't have it yet and have a look. Also do a search in Total Commander, for, say, *.wbk created in the last week if that is the extension they have. You will get a list with paths. (The windows file explorer can also show hidden files but it's generally junk. TotalCMD is free to dl and will continue to work even if you don't buy/register it.)

Also, I would take disappearing text as a very bad sign. If you are 100% certain you didn't screw up and the content of the files disappeared of its own accord, it's time to start investigating. I guess it could be either a software bug or a virus. Back up all your important data asap if you haven't done that yet. Anything that is on the same drive as the original is not a real backup. DVD or online is my suggestion.

P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:50
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Tools>options>files Dec 3, 2008

There are the locations where the different file types are stored.

P.

Canada
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No path to .wbk under file location Dec 4, 2008

P Forgas wrote:
Tools>options>files
There are the locations where the different file types are stored.

Hi P Forgas,
Thanks for your response!

But as I said above in my post, Options>Tools> File location does, unfortunately, not show me the path to .wbk files.

And yes: I do back up ALL my files, online, every night, using Mozy.

Regards,
j

[Edited at 2008-12-04 00:17 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
*.wbk files are located where the original file were Dec 4, 2008

And wbk is "Word BacKup", so they are created by Word.

Johanna Timm wrote:
My system info: Windows XP Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 3

My Saving settings:
Under options, I have checked: : Always create backup copy and Allow for background saves and Save Autorecover info every 3 minutes ( you can see how paranoid I am to lose anything).

Your OS has nothing to say, it is Word and what are you quoting here are Word settings.
The setting Always create backup copy means Word is always saving a backup copy (*.wbk) of your file.
Those files are always located in the same folder, where the original files are.
If you don't see them, so maybe your system settings do not allow that.
Could you please check in Control Panel - Folder Options (in German: Ordneroptionen, and I have only German OS here) - View, if you unchecked "Hide extension for know file types" and "Hide protected system files (recommended)". Also please select (scroll down to see that): "Hidden files and folders: - show all files and folders"

If you don't see wbk files then, then they must have got lost for some reasons.

Best regards
Jerzy

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 18:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
search function Dec 4, 2008

you can always use the search function on your folder. to make thorough search, right click on my computers, choose 'search...'. then search for 'all files and folders'. you can use *.wbk as wildcard in the 'all or parto f the file name'. then choose the local hard drive to look for.

Canada
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
search.... and FOUND (but not all of them) Dec 4, 2008

Thanks, Jerzy!
These are my settings:
"Hide extension for know file types" : unchecked
"Hide protected system files (recommended)" : unchecked
"Hidden files and folders: - show all files and folders": checked
I really appreciate your effort and you know that I admire your expertise -you have helped me out so many times!

Mulyadi, I followed your advice, and lo and behold - most of my .wbk files are there! Thanks so much for your tip. Now I know where to look for them.

A more specific, date-based search for all wbk files of yesterday showed, however that one particular .wbk file is missing (the original file is intact, there is simply no wbk of it listed.)
How can that be? Why would the system randomly choose not to create a .wbk file? And why do some of my folders show .wbk files, while others include only the original and the temp. file? I suspect it might have something to do with a "view" I -inadvertently- selected--- but how do I change it?

Thank you all for your help,
johanna

[Edited at 2008-12-04 17:11 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:50
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Backup file in Word Dec 15, 2008

Backup files in Word are always one step backwards, i.e., every time you save your document, Word keeps a copy of the file before the saved changes. This means that when you save the first time, no backup file is created.

[Edited at 2008-12-15 08:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where are my back-up files (.wbk)?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search