Thread poster: Marcelle Bethancourt
Marcelle Bethancourt
Marcelle Bethancourt  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 00:14
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jan 19, 2009

How can I get the word count of a powerpoint document with Office 2007?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marcelle de Bethancourt

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:14
English to French
+ ...
practicount Jan 20, 2009

you can use practicount...
http://www.practiline.com/
they give you an evaluation...

Dewinta Maharani
Dewinta Maharani  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:14
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Use Statistics Facility Jan 20, 2009

You can view the word count through File > Properties then select Statistics tab.
This tab shows us the number of slide, paragraph, word, etc.

HTH

trebla
trebla
Canada
Local time: 01:14
French to English
Power Point Word Count Jan 20, 2009

Here's a way to do it free of charge

1 - Memorize your text.

2 - Recall it to the screen

3 - Open a blank page in Word

4 - For each power Point page, BLOCK and CUT the text, flip to the blank word page and PASTE the text.

5 - Once you've finished doing that, do a word count on the Word page, note your count, close the page, and close the Blank power point page. DO NOT SAVE IT, or it will overwrite your Power Point original.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 23:14
English to Spanish
"Propiedades" Jan 20, 2009

Select or open your PPT file. Select "Propiedades", and you can see there the word count.

Nathalie Elson
Nathalie Elson  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:14
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Werecat or Powerpoint2doc Jan 20, 2009

Hello Marcelle,

I regularly use Werecat or powerpoint2doc to count words in a ppt, but also translate the document in word (I use Wordfast) before sending back into the ppt. Both are free
... See more
Hello Marcelle,

I regularly use Werecat or powerpoint2doc to count words in a ppt, but also translate the document in word (I use Wordfast) before sending back into the ppt. Both are free.

Here are the links:
http://ginstrom.com/software/powerpoint2doc/
http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

This was mentioned a while ago in a similar post explaining how to install both software.
http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/86257-how_to_count_words_in_power_point.html

Hope this helps,

Nath
Collapse

Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Local time: 14:14
Japanese to English
Free utility that counts words in PowerPoint files Jan 20, 2009

I have a free utility that will give you word counts for PowerPoint files, called Count Anything:

http://ginstrom.com/CountAnything/

I also made the above-mentioned PowerPoint2Doc, but I recommend Count Anything now (PP2D is a few years old and unsupported).

Also be aware that the "properties" approach gives word counts that are wildly different from MS
... See more
I have a free utility that will give you word counts for PowerPoint files, called Count Anything:

http://ginstrom.com/CountAnything/

I also made the above-mentioned PowerPoint2Doc, but I recommend Count Anything now (PP2D is a few years old and unsupported).

Also be aware that the "properties" approach gives word counts that are wildly different from MS Word (for example, punctuation characters are counted as words).
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why count words when you could lose out? Jan 20, 2009

I charge for non-word documents (PowerPoint, Excel, Pagemaker etc) at an hourly rate based on the real time taken to translate them. This can vary greatly depending on the text sizes/formats, size of text boxes etc, so I find this is the only way to get a fair payment each time.
My regular clients all accept this and know that I will not abuse their trust, but maybe this method wouldn't work for translators dealing with unknown agencies/clients.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Trados count Jan 20, 2009

Hi! this is the best method. Take file analysis just by drag and drop. Load .ppt file into tag editor and start processing. There is however one catch here. If the.ppt contanins OLE objects the words embedded in those will not be counted. The OLE objects will be treated as graphics or collectively as one object. So there will be some manual counting necessary. BR Brandis

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Really free of charge? Jan 20, 2009

trebla wrote:

4 - For each power Point page, BLOCK and CUT the text, flip to the blank word page and PASTE the text.

Hm, I have a powerpoint presentation with 150 pages!

Marcelle Bethancourt
Panama
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your answer was very useful Jan 20, 2009

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

you can use practicount...
http://www.practiline.com/
they give you an evaluation...

Marcelle Bethancourt
Panama
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word count of a powerpoint document Jan 20, 2009

All your answers were very useful. Thanks.

Marcelle

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
??? Jan 20, 2009

trebla wrote:

1 - Memorize your text.

2 - Recall it to the screen

What is that supposed to mean?
Save the document and open it?

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
What about embedded Excel sheets? Jan 20, 2009

Ryan Ginstrom wrote:

I have a free utility that will give you word counts for PowerPoint files, called Count Anything

Ryan, thank you for making your software available free. I've been using your FindNextJ for years, with gratitude in my heart...

Can you tell me how Count Anything handles embedded Excel files? Does it count all the hidden sheets of the embedded file, or just the top one that's visible in Powerpoint? This can be a major stumbling block for counting.

Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Japanese to English
How Count Anything counts Excel objects in PowerPoint files Jan 21, 2009

Rod Walters wrote:
Can you tell me how Count Anything handles embedded Excel files? Does it count all the hidden sheets of the embedded file, or just the top one that's visible in Powerpoint? This can be a major stumbling block for counting.

Count Anything counts embedded Excel worksheets. Count Anything only counts the active (visible) sheet, not all sheets in the workbook.

Note, however, that Count Anything will count the "used range" in the visible sheet, which may or may not be equal to the visible portion of the worksheet. That is, if there is text on the the visible sheet that isn't visible in the PowerPoint slide, it may still get counted.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count of a powerpoint document

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »