https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/12797-select_all_text_in_powerpoint.html

Select all text in Powerpoint
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:09
German to English
Jul 22, 2003

Hi to you all!
I'm suffering frustration in powerpoint this morning and hope you can help. How do you select all the text in a powerpoint file? I want to change the language so I can check spelling etc. On one file I can use the normal view and select all text using CTRL A because the text is in a simple format but in another file the "normal view" only lists the slide headers and not the text in them. So I can "Select All" for the headers but not the text on each slide. So when I click on
... See more
Hi to you all!
I'm suffering frustration in powerpoint this morning and hope you can help. How do you select all the text in a powerpoint file? I want to change the language so I can check spelling etc. On one file I can use the normal view and select all text using CTRL A because the text is in a simple format but in another file the "normal view" only lists the slide headers and not the text in them. So I can "Select All" for the headers but not the text on each slide. So when I click on the slide the header is set to the correct language but the other text is not.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 07:09
German to English
+ ...
The way I do it..... Jul 22, 2003

Is to click into each slide individually using the view button on the lower far right of the screen (the one that shows you a bar up the right, your main screen and a bar across the bottom for the notes).

Then I do Ctrl A to highlight everything on that slide, then I change the language. A useful trick for getting to (US) English when the select language window appears is to hit F and move up a few languages with the arrow key....

You then also have to click into each
... See more
Is to click into each slide individually using the view button on the lower far right of the screen (the one that shows you a bar up the right, your main screen and a bar across the bottom for the notes).

Then I do Ctrl A to highlight everything on that slide, then I change the language. A useful trick for getting to (US) English when the select language window appears is to hit F and move up a few languages with the arrow key....

You then also have to click into each notes field individually to change the language there.

It's a pain in the b**t, but it's the only way I know to do it. If anyone else has any better shortcuts, then I'd love to hear about them!

Alison
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
In Normal view... Jul 22, 2003

... you should have the choice between "Plan" and "Slides" in the left of the screen. Select Plan, click anywhere in the text, and then Ctrl A. The whole file is then selected.
Hope it helps,
Sylvain.

[Edited at 2003-07-23 06:40]

SysfilterMaker
SysfilterMaker
Germany
PowerPoint-Filter Jul 22, 2003

--> I use for such projects a Powerpoint-Filter. It exports all the text, after translation or proof reading you can import the text. For testing purpose you could send me your file --> [email protected]

Kind regards
Wilhelm Polmann
Translation Engineer
ECM engineering
www.ecm-e.de

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Where do I chose between Plan and Normal (or what ever it was?) Jul 22, 2003

Hi Sylvian! I've looked all over my screen but can't find them......

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Wilhelm Jul 22, 2003

wi_lee wrote:

--> I use for such projects a Powerpoint-Filter. It exports all the text, after translation or proof reading you can import the text. For testing purpose you could send me your file --> [email protected]

This is great. Where is this Powerpoint filter available?

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Normal view Jul 22, 2003

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

Hi Sylvian! I've looked all over my screen but can't find them......

I have PPT 2002, perhaps it's not available in an earlier version... but for Normal view, I have the choice in the menu between "Normal with panes" or something like that and "Normal". If you select "with panes", you'll then have two tabs on the left side of the screen (a bit like in Acrobat), with Slides and Plan. Select Plan, and select the whole test.
Hope it works.
Regards,
Sylvain.

[Edited at 2003-07-23 06:39]

SysfilterMaker
SysfilterMaker
Germany
Powerpoint Filter Jul 22, 2003

Hello Sylvie,

the filter was programmed by my team. At the moment it is only available for internal use. If you are interested in filtering some files, you can contact me Off-Forum -> [email protected]. Maybe it will be possible in the future to make such a filter available for interested people.

Best regards

Wilhelm Polmann
Translation
... See more
Hello Sylvie,

the filter was programmed by my team. At the moment it is only available for internal use. If you are interested in filtering some files, you can contact me Off-Forum -> [email protected]. Maybe it will be possible in the future to make such a filter available for interested people.

Best regards

Wilhelm Polmann
Translation Engineer
ECM engineering
www.ecm-e.de
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
Try this Jul 22, 2003

When I open the PPT file, there is a panel on the left with two tabs Outline and Slides. (I'm not sure how you can get the panel to be displayed on the left.
Select the Outline panel. Then you should have the slide on the right and on the left the whole text from all slides. Click anywhere in the text on the left and than Ctrl+a. It worked for me: the whole text was selected. Please tell me if there are any problems, I'll try to find how you can display the panel in case it's not open when
... See more
When I open the PPT file, there is a panel on the left with two tabs Outline and Slides. (I'm not sure how you can get the panel to be displayed on the left.
Select the Outline panel. Then you should have the slide on the right and on the left the whole text from all slides. Click anywhere in the text on the left and than Ctrl+a. It worked for me: the whole text was selected. Please tell me if there are any problems, I'll try to find how you can display the panel in case it's not open when you open PPT.

(I have now tried and if I choose View -> Normal I get the panel on the left, too).
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:09
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you all but .. Jul 23, 2003

Let's take Elvira's method - I think you're all describing the same thing - When you bring up the Outline panel and select all it doesn't work because the outline panel only gives the title of the slide and not the text on it - maybe because the text is in text boxes? It works if the slide is just text but if slide is more complicated the outline panel doesn't display the text - only the title. Or is there a way to display more text in this outline panel?
Thanks again.
Gill

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Wilhelm! Jul 23, 2003

I'm certain I'm not the only one who would be interested in such a filter. This was one of the main reasons I hate working with ppt files.

I will keep your addy handy!

sylvie

wi_lee wrote:

Hello Sylvie,

Best regards

Wilhelm Polmann
Translation Engineer
ECM engineering
www.ecm-e.de

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Select all text in Powerpoint

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »