Where's my Spell Checker?
Thread poster: Henry Hinds

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2009

I am using Windows Vista with MS Word 2007, going from Spanish to English. I select the entire text, change language to English and then I get all those red underlines that I proceed to eliminate as I go along until they are all gone and the job is finished. That's normal.

The problem is, and it has happened to me a few times before and is happening now with a file, that I get no red underlines and no spell checker. For a while I was getting some green (grammar, etc.) underlines, then later not even those. I run spell check and get no mistakes though there must be some.

Ergo, the spell checker must not be working although I have gone back many times and reset language, and mind you, every time I do that it does not show any language indicated when I open that up. So I do it again, no results.

So what is going on? Does anyone know how to fix this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
Couple of things could be causing this Mar 27, 2009

Hi Henry,

sorry to hear about your problem.

There are a couple of things that could be causing this.

- your document may still contain some Spanish, in which case Word does not know which language to choose
- Word may be corrupted
- your settings may be corrupted

Does this also happen if you start your spell checking using the F7 key?

I'm afraid you may have to re-install Word, but I hope someone else will find a simpler solution....

Good luck!
Margreet

Valters Feists  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:36
Latvian to English
+ ...
Check the text property called "Do not check spelling or grammar" Mar 27, 2009

Henry,
Any given part of a document's text may have the "Do not check spelling or grammar" property (also called option) enabled. And when you change just the language, that no-check porperty might have remained enabled.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051892121033.aspx
Do not apply the Do not check spelling or grammar option. The spelling checker doesn't check text that has the Do not check spelling or grammar option applied.

To remove this option from text, select the text, point to Language on the Tools menu, and then click Set Language. Clear the Do not check spelling or grammar check box, and then click OK. Then, repeat the spelling check.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where's my Spell Checker?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search