Thread poster: Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 19:45
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 31, 2009

Hello,

I got a translation job of a MS-Word document which contains 26 pages of tables, each one with one row and two columns. The left column contains the segment in the source language. The right column is empty and should be filled in with the translation. This document was the output of a export function of my client's system.

Between 2 one-row tables there is a paragraph mark.

I noticed that there are a lot of repetitions, so I would very much like to use a CAT (I use Trados and accross).

The problem is, I tried to batch copy all elements on the left side to the right side, but it was not possible. If this were possible, I would simply translate the document in Trados and copy the result on the right side of the document.

If all rows were in one and the same table, that would be easy. But no, each document page contains up to 25 tables of this kind.

I also tried selecting text in combination with the Alt key (a very good and not well known trick for selecting text outside tables), but it also did not work.

I also tried the following: copy it to Excel, translate and the copy back to the MS-Word. But this method changes the specifications of the MS-Word table. My client needs it exactly as in the original.

Does anyone have a way out of this?

Cheers,
Marcos

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Suggestion Mar 31, 2009

Is it possible for you to replace the hard returns (I assume there are no others within the doc.?) with some other character like § or whatever, then convert the tables to text (but not sure if you can do this globally?), and then reverse the process at the end.

Alternatively, is it possible to do the search-&-replace as above, and then concatenate all the tables into one big one? Even if the § symbols created 'blank' table lines, at least it would get you round the underlying problem...

Best of luck, sounds like a real pain!

Update:

Just tried a little experiment in Word, and neither of my above suggestions works, sadly! However, did manage to 'select all' and then 'convert text into table' (sic!), and from that point, was then able to 'convert table into text' — this gave me a single document with excessive numbers of hard returns, but which would at least be convertible into a single table and/or translatable using CAT.

NOTE that this only appears to work where the individual tables are separated by only a SINGLE hard return; results seemed to be messed up by multiple ones!

Saving as 'text only' format would get you out of the tables problem by stripping out the actual tables and just leaving the returns

BUT... I have no idea just how easy it would be to then convert the results back into your customer's weird format!

[Edited at 2009-03-31 16:24 GMT]

whither has fle
France
French to English
Sorry...can't help.. Mar 31, 2009

Hi Marcos,

I sorry I can't help here...sounds like a tough one to me. I see nobody has replied yet, so I do hope you can get some advice soon.

Good luck,

jC.

PS I see someone has a few ideas. Hang in there!

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Macro Mar 31, 2009

Here is a macro which should do the trick. Please note, however, that it assumes that the left column text does not have any font formatting (such as bold etc.).

Of course, it might not work, so try it out on a copy...

Code:

Sub CopySourcetoTargetandStyle()

For Each aTable In ActiveDocument.Tables
aTable.Columns(1).Select
Selection.MoveEnd Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=-1
Selection.Copy
Selection.Font.Hidden = True
aTable.Columns(2).Select
Selection.Collapse
Selection.Paste
Next

End Sub

Import into TagEditor (it should skip the hidden text), translate, export and then unhide all the text.

Marcos Zattar
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Macro might be the solution Mar 31, 2009

@Tony: I don't think converting back and forth would be an option - the characteristics of the table change and the end result is different from the original (according to my tests)

@Jabberwock: a macro might be the solution. I tested yours but it did not work. Can I send the file to you so that you can have a look at it?

Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
File Mar 31, 2009

@Jabberwock: a macro might be the solution. I tested yours but it did not work. Can I send the file to you so that you can have a look at it?

Sure, I'll have a look at it...

Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
File-specific problems Mar 31, 2009

The problems seem to be specific to that particular file, so we'll try to work it out off forum for now...

Marcos Zattar
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Final & Thanks Mar 31, 2009

Ok, Jarek,

I thank you all for the hints.

All the best!
Marcos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document with hundreds of one-row tables - MS-Word

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search