possibility of 'write-protecting' text in Word 2003
Thread poster: Jonathan MacKerron

Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 20, 2009

Hi All,
I have the German version of Word 2002, and would like to know if it is possible to "write-protect" parts of a Word file. I have a large text file, parts of which will be reviewed by different people. My aim is to write-protect these different parts as they come available, so as to avoid any inadvertent changes when working in other parts of the text.
Many thanks,
Jonathan

[Edited at 2009-04-20 10:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:27
Member (2002)
English to German
PDF Apr 20, 2009

No, you cannot write-protect parts of a Word document as far as I'm aware.

You could either turn "Track Changes" on so that at least you can easily spot changes in off-limits parts of the text, or you could send the reviewer only the editable part as Word doc, together with a PDF of the full text for reference.

Endre

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:27
German to English
Highlight non-editable text Apr 20, 2009

Highlighting text that shouldn't be touched might be a step toward preventing accidental tampering.

Hidetoshi kudo
Australia
Local time: 19:27
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Tool > Protect Document Apr 20, 2009

This might help you. At least MSword 2003 has this function. I have never used it though...

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:27
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can protect selected sections Apr 20, 2009

Like Hidetoshi Kudo wrote, use Tools -> Protect Document. I have Word 2003, but it should be similar to 2002.

First, insert a section break (can be continuous) before and after the parts you want to protect. Then, click Tools -> Protect Document.

In the Protect Document pane that opens, under "Editing restrictions" select "Filling in forms" from the dropdown list. A "Select sections..." option will appear. Click it and select the sections you want to protect.

Finally, click "Yes, start enforcing protection".

[Edited at 2009-04-20 14:19 GMT]

Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your suggestions! Apr 21, 2009

I'll give them a try and report back on which ones work for me

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

possibility of 'write-protecting' text in Word 2003

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search