possibility of 'write-protecting' text in Word 2003
Thread poster: Jonathan MacKerron

Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 20, 2009

Hi All,
I have the German version of Word 2002, and would like to know if it is possible to "write-protect" parts of a Word file. I have a large text file, parts of which will be reviewed by different people. My aim is to write-protect these different parts as they come available, so as to avoid any inadvertent changes when working in other parts of the text.
Many thanks,
Jonathan

[Edited at 2009-04-20 10:25 GMT]

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:28
Member (2002)
English to German
PDF Apr 20, 2009

No, you cannot write-protect parts of a Word document as far as I'm aware.

You could either turn "Track Changes" on so that at least you can easily spot changes in off-limits parts of the text, or you could send the reviewer only the editable part as Word doc, together with a PDF of the full text for reference.

Endre

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:28
German to English
Highlight non-editable text Apr 20, 2009

Highlighting text that shouldn't be touched might be a step toward preventing accidental tampering.

Hidetoshi kudo
Australia
Local time: 13:28
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Tool > Protect Document Apr 20, 2009

This might help you. At least MSword 2003 has this function. I have never used it though...

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:28
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can protect selected sections Apr 20, 2009

Like Hidetoshi Kudo wrote, use Tools -> Protect Document. I have Word 2003, but it should be similar to 2002.

First, insert a section break (can be continuous) before and after the parts you want to protect. Then, click Tools -> Protect Document.

In the Protect Document pane that opens, under "Editing restrictions" select "Filling in forms" from the dropdown list. A "Select sections..." option will appear. Click it and select the sections you want to protect.

Finally, click "Yes, start enforcing protection".

[Edited at 2009-04-20 14:19 GMT]

Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your suggestions! Apr 21, 2009

I'll give them a try and report back on which ones work for me

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

possibility of 'write-protecting' text in Word 2003

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search