Powerpoint capitalizes the letter "I"
Thread poster: Gayle Wallimann

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:16
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2009

I have searched for months for a solution to a problem that is driving me crazy in powerpoint. Every time I type the word "is" in English, the "I" is capitalized. I have to go back through every ppt presentation to search for "Is" and replace with "is". Does anyone know how to get rid of the capital "I"? I use Office 2007 on Vista. I translate from French to English, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Gayle

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
AutoCorrect Apr 24, 2009

Have you checked your AutoCorrect settings under Tools - AutoCorrect Options? There could be an AutoCorrect entry that changes "in" to "In".

http://presentationsoft.about.com/od/powerpoint2007tips/ss/07autocorrect.htm

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Autocorrect does this under Word Apr 24, 2009

I don't know about Office 2007, but Word 2003 certainly does this, it's very annoying, and I always have to delete that particular auto correct entry — along with don't, which prevent me from typing dont in FR!

I suspect that PPT may well use the same autocorrect tables etc. as Word

PPT under XP certainly has the same feature; my version is FR, so thankfully I don't have the 'I' problem! If the worst comes to the worst, you might just turn off autocorrect altogether!

[Modifié le 2009-04-24 11:26 GMT]

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Hynek! Apr 24, 2009

Yes, I found that autocorrect was replacing "is" by "Is". I should have asked a long time ago, but I never thought about this forum for powerpoint.Thank you so much, Hynek!

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Each language will have its quirks in Word Apr 24, 2009

In Portuguese, Word's auto-correct would insistently capitalize all my instances of "ter" (= the verb "to have", infinitive) as "Ter". It took me a while to figure that out as the abbreviated form of "terça-feira" (= Tuesday in PT), since - unlike English - we don't capitalize weekdays. However it's common (but technically wrong) to capitalize three-letter abbreviations of weekdays precisely to avoid confusion between the verb "ter" and Tuesdays.

I think this is the overall worst feature of Microsoft, widespread in all their products: trying to outsmart the supposedly dumb user with petty default features that are found only in third or fourth-level menus to be deactivated.

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
@ José: Couldn't put it better myself:o) Apr 24, 2009

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I think this is the overall worst feature of Microsoft, widespread in all their products: trying to outsmart the supposedly dumb user with petty default features that are found only in third or fourth-level menus to be deactivated.

My opinion entirely. Unfortunately, IMO it's getting worse. Word 2007 is a nightmare. Argh!

Have a nice weekend,
Agnieszka

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Switch off Autocorrect May 30, 2009

This is the best option.

I have had similar problems when typing in English, for example "S.A." which is like "Ltd." in Portuguese, being changed to AS. In Portuguese, "em" (in) sometimes becomes "EN" for no apparent reason, and also Portuguese texts "ISO 9000" becomes "ISSO 9000"("isso" = "that").

So play it safe and switch off autocorrect.

[Edited at 2009-05-30 21:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint capitalizes the letter "I"

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search