Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 7, 2009

I have a big file with software strings. Each row begins with a 5-digit number, then comes a space, then a 3-digit number (the number of characters allowed in the string), then a second space and after that the actual text string:

15032 050 Text string

I would like to transfer these texts into Excel, so that I can count the string length and look, if any string is longer than allowed.

Now I cannot use the spaces as delimiters, because in the text-strings are also spaces. Or can I?

I managed already to replace the first space by a tab, but the second space is more complicated.

How would I write a formula that looks for a tab, followed by three numbers and a space and replaces this space by a tab?

Thanks for your ideas!

Heinrich

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In two rounds May 7, 2009

I would do the following:

To add a first tab after the first five digits:
- Look for "^p^#^#^#^#^# "
(Means: paragraph-mark digit digit digit digit digit space)

- Replace with "^&^t"
(Means: text found plus a tab mark). You will have a tab mark preceded by a space, but you surely know how to fix that.

Now for the second tab:
- Look for "^t^#^#^# "
(Means: tab-mark digit digit digit space)

- Replace with "^&^t"
(Means text found plus a tab mark). Also a space before tab mark here...

After these things, you can easily copy the table to Excel and you will have three columna. I hope this helps!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thansk, Thomás May 7, 2009

Probably the space should still be included in the search string. Otherwise it works fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching for special replace function in Word 2003

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search