Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:08
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2009

I have a Word 2003 document which I think is an extraction from a Web page.

Spell-checking it returns the message "spell check finished, text not to be checked has been ignored" and finds no mistakes.

The correct spell-check options appear to be checked for the document. Other documents spell-check normally. Copying and pasting the text into another document changes nothing. The only solution appears to be to delete all the style options, whereupon spell-check functions
... See more
I have a Word 2003 document which I think is an extraction from a Web page.

Spell-checking it returns the message "spell check finished, text not to be checked has been ignored" and finds no mistakes.

The correct spell-check options appear to be checked for the document. Other documents spell-check normally. Copying and pasting the text into another document changes nothing. The only solution appears to be to delete all the style options, whereupon spell-check functions normally.

Why should a style option disable the spell-check function? Is there a workaround?
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Option Jun 1, 2009

Have you tried copying and pasting the text using "Paste special" "text only"?

Helen Matthews
Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Hide errors for this document Jun 1, 2009

... just a quick thought - even if the normal spellcheck options are all in place (i.e. correct language selected etc. etc., you know word can also hide errors 'just' for the document you are working on? (you've probably already tried this, but it's worth a mention just in case!)

In Office 2007, you go up to the office button in the top left, choose Word options - Correction tools - and go to the bottom of the box, where it says 'exceptions for xxxxx current document', and just make
... See more
... just a quick thought - even if the normal spellcheck options are all in place (i.e. correct language selected etc. etc., you know word can also hide errors 'just' for the document you are working on? (you've probably already tried this, but it's worth a mention just in case!)

In Office 2007, you go up to the office button in the top left, choose Word options - Correction tools - and go to the bottom of the box, where it says 'exceptions for xxxxx current document', and just make sure that the ignore spelling mistakes in this document box is NOT checked...

all the best,
Helen
Collapse

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not further forward yet Jun 1, 2009

Hi BD

Your option works but appears to be equivalent to my existing workaround (copy/paste/select all/delete all styles) which has the drawback of, um, losing all the formatting . As a worst-case scenario I suppose I could go through the deformatted document side by side with the formatted one manually correcting as I go if there's no other way. (I tried pasting it as an RTF file for variety, which kept the format b
... See more
Hi BD

Your option works but appears to be equivalent to my existing workaround (copy/paste/select all/delete all styles) which has the drawback of, um, losing all the formatting . As a worst-case scenario I suppose I could go through the deformatted document side by side with the formatted one manually correcting as I go if there's no other way. (I tried pasting it as an RTF file for variety, which kept the format but also the problem).

Helen,

I'm working on the document using Office 2003 which does not have this option. But I have just checked in Office 2007 and the box is not checked, so that's not the problem here - thanks anyway for alerting me to the existence of this menu!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Check the style settings Jun 1, 2009

If it is just one (or certain) style(s) that are causing the problem, check that their langauges are set correctly AND that the 'do not spell check' box has not been checked when that style was created / modified.

I've been caught by this one before!

If you can't get to the bottom of it, a less tiresome workaround would be to replace just the one style globally with some other one (search / replace all), and then simply do the reverse process after you've spell-checked
... See more
If it is just one (or certain) style(s) that are causing the problem, check that their langauges are set correctly AND that the 'do not spell check' box has not been checked when that style was created / modified.

I've been caught by this one before!

If you can't get to the bottom of it, a less tiresome workaround would be to replace just the one style globally with some other one (search / replace all), and then simply do the reverse process after you've spell-checked.

[Modifié le 2009-06-02 08:30 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word spell check does not find errors in a specific style

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »