Cristina Bolohan  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:01
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jun 20, 2009

Hello,
Everything worked just fine until I started receiving this error message when trying to open a doc file: Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\path\.doc. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.

The laptop I bought (almost a year ago) has Windows Vista Home Premium on it. I also use office 2003. Searching on the internet for a clue didn't help me much...
Thank you

fads fasdf asd
fads fasdf asd
Local time: 15:01
Something wrong to the file name? Jun 20, 2009

Hi Cristina,

The name of this file (".doc") is invalid for Windows. A possible file name must have at least one character betore the dot. Although the Windows Explorer prohibit you from create a file like this, there are some occasions when a bad designed function of some application could create such invalid/prohibited file.

If you can reach this file through Windows Explorer, just rename it, putting something before the dot and try to open again.

W
... See more
Hi Cristina,

The name of this file (".doc") is invalid for Windows. A possible file name must have at least one character betore the dot. Although the Windows Explorer prohibit you from create a file like this, there are some occasions when a bad designed function of some application could create such invalid/prohibited file.

If you can reach this file through Windows Explorer, just rename it, putting something before the dot and try to open again.

Will work, certanly. But, seems to have another problem here, this "path" folder perhaps doesn't exist phisicaly in your hard disk. How are trying to open this file? Are you clicking them through Explorer or opening by File menu inside Word?

Cesar
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Try... Jun 20, 2009

Is it always the same file or for every Word file? Try to open the file from the Word (not by double-clicking it), try renaming it or moving to another location (other folder/partition) and see what happens.

Cristina Bolohan
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't work Jun 21, 2009

Thank you for the answers, I have already tried that and it wouldn't work...The error message appears when I want to open all doc and rtf files..I renamed the files, moved them to a different location, nothing...
Path stands for "documents\Cristina\etc." there's no use writing it all ...

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What I would do Jun 21, 2009

First, a chkdsk scan to make sure the disk is good.
Then a boot time scan with avast to make sure it's not a virus.
Then uninstall Word (or all of Office if need be) and reinstall it.

BTW can you open a txt or any other file with Word? Can you launch Word without an open document form the Start menu? Can you then open a document from Word?

fads fasdf asd
fads fasdf asd
Local time: 15:01
Office Repair Jun 21, 2009

Try do an Office Repair or Reinstalation.

Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features

Just highlight the "Office" item, then click on "Repair" at the toolbar in this same window (the installation CD will be requested). Follow the steps. Most probably will solve the problem. Though, I think well recomended remove completely the Office, restart you Windows, then start a new and fresh installation. Normally, it never erase your files, but its good idea backup all your doc
... See more
Try do an Office Repair or Reinstalation.

Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features

Just highlight the "Office" item, then click on "Repair" at the toolbar in this same window (the installation CD will be requested). Follow the steps. Most probably will solve the problem. Though, I think well recomended remove completely the Office, restart you Windows, then start a new and fresh installation. Normally, it never erase your files, but its good idea backup all your doc (and office files) if you decide try it.

Cesar Silva
Collapse

Cristina Bolohan
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
verify Jun 21, 2009

Nothing seems to work..I scanned and checked the disk, reinstalled Office and proofing tools, uninstalled some updates, removed add-ins, changed registry keys and values related to open word document....

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
System problem? Jun 21, 2009

It seems that the problem is rather system related, pertaining not only to Office. Google the phrase "Windows cannot find c", you'll see quite a few such reports...

Two that look promisin
... See more
It seems that the problem is rather system related, pertaining not only to Office. Google the phrase "Windows cannot find c", you'll see quite a few such reports...

Two that look promising:
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/16339-windows-cannot-find-c-blah-blah.html

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/596616-solved-windows-cannot-find-c.html

Of course, I have not tried them, so I do not know how reliable they might be...
Collapse

Cristina Bolohan
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
possible solution Jun 22, 2009

After searching and trying all the solutions found on the internet, a friend said I sould uninstall Office 2003 and install Office 2007...No sooner said than done.The system works fine, but I don't want to let things unsolved. The topic remains open for discussion. Any ideas are welcome!
Thank you all

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\path\.doc

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »