Thread poster: Tae Kim

Tae Kim  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:52
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
Jun 27, 2009

I recently translated a document in which I used a lot of text boxes for translation in MS Word. I know words in text boxes are not counted when MS Word automatically counts words. So how do I count the words in text boxes? Should I just manually count them? But that'd take such a long time as in my case which I translated so many of them in text boxes. Is there any way to count them automatically? Thank you very much.

cmackmckay
United States
Local time: 08:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word 2007? Jun 27, 2009

Hello, Tae Kim.

Are you using Word 2007? If so, the PC version definitely counts words in text boxes. I am not certain aboutWord 2003, or earlier PC/Mac versions.

Thanks,

Mack

United States
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 27, 2009

I see, yes I am using Word 2003. I didn't know you can count text box words too with Word 2007. I think I'll buy Word 2007, thank you so much for giving me this information! Thank you again.

Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:52
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
finecount Jun 27, 2009

hi,
I use finecount, is free and it counts word documents (including text box and footers/headers), excel, powerpoint and some pdfs.

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 15:52
Member (2009)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Try AnyCount Jun 27, 2009

AnyCount (www.anycount.com) can count those textboxes.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:52
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Important Jun 27, 2009

When using Word 2007 remember that it does not include text boxes by default. You need to click of the word count and make sure that the option "add text boxes and footnotes" is checked.

Cheers
Stanislaw

United States
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 27, 2009

Thank you for the information as well, thank you so much, have a wonderful weekend!

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 07:52
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
What you need for solving your problem inmediately is a free tool! Jun 27, 2009

Complete Word Count is a template which complements the capabilities of Word 2003. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/CompleteWordCount/

Saludos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count words in text box

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search