Tae Kim
Tae Kim  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:59
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
Jun 27, 2009

I recently translated a document in which I used a lot of text boxes for translation in MS Word. I know words in text boxes are not counted when MS Word automatically counts words. So how do I count the words in text boxes? Should I just manually count them? But that'd take such a long time as in my case which I translated so many of them in text boxes. Is there any way to count them automatically? Thank you very much.

Mack McKay
Mack McKay
United States
Local time: 23:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word 2007? Jun 27, 2009

Hello, Tae Kim.

Are you using Word 2007? If so, the PC version definitely counts words in text boxes. I am not certain aboutWord 2003, or earlier PC/Mac versions.

Thanks,

Mack

Tae Kim
United States
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 27, 2009

I see, yes I am using Word 2003. I didn't know you can count text box words too with Word 2007. I think I'll buy Word 2007, thank you so much for giving me this information! Thank you again.

Alina - Maria Chiteala
Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 06:59
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
finecount Jun 27, 2009

hi,
I use finecount, is free and it counts word documents (including text box and footers/headers), excel, powerpoint and some pdfs.

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 06:59
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Try AnyCount Jun 27, 2009

AnyCount (www.anycount.com) can count those textboxes.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:59
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Important Jun 27, 2009

When using Word 2007 remember that it does not include text boxes by default. You need to click of the word count and make sure that the option "add text boxes and footnotes" is checked.

Cheers
Stanislaw

Tae Kim
United States
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 27, 2009

Thank you for the information as well, thank you so much, have a wonderful weekend!

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 22:59
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
What you need for solving your problem inmediately is a free tool! Jun 27, 2009

Complete Word Count is a template which complements the capabilities of Word 2003. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/CompleteWordCount/

Saludos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count words in text box

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »