Word 2007: Tracked changes from 2 editing rounds
Thread poster: Bjørnar Magnussen

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:14
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 2, 2009

I have three Word documents: Original, 2. edition and 3. edition. The client wants me to deliver a document that contains the text after 3. edition and that shows the changes from both editing rounds marked with different colours.

I have tried to do this through the Combine Documents feature in Word 2007. First I combined the original with 2. edition, which worked fine.

However, when combining 2. edition with 3. edition, the resulting document does not implement 3. edition deletions to text that has been introduced in 2. edition.

An illustration:
Original: Gee, I am a genius
2. edition: I am a poor misinterpreted genius
3. edition: I am just misinterpreted

I this case, the end result (combination of 2. edition and 3. edition) would read "I am just poor misinterpreted". "Poor" was introduced in 2. edition, and such text is not deleted.

What I want is an end result that reads "I am just misinterpreted", still showing all the changes.

Any ideas for a workaround?

[Edited at 2009-07-02 19:43 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Jul 2, 2009

I turned out that I had to go the other way around. First combining 3. edition (chosen as "original document") with 2. edition (chosen as "revised document"). Then combining the result of this (chosen as "original document") with my initial (chosen as "revised document").

Quite counterintuitive, and it took me an hour to understand... For some reason "original document" in Microsoft speak doesn't mean the initial document, but the final document.

[Edited at 2009-07-02 20:13 GMT]

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:14
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks!! Jul 3, 2009

I had to proofread the revised translation of a Last Will today and was faced with the very same task - you saved me the frustration of figuring this one out for myself! KudoZ

johanna

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great Jul 3, 2009

Johanna Timm, PhD wrote:

I had to proofread the revised translation of a Last Will today and was faced with the very same task - you saved me the frustration of figuring this one out for myself! KudoZ

johanna

Great - I hope you will get it to work. Otherwise, don't hesitate to post questions here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2007: Tracked changes from 2 editing rounds

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search