Thread poster: Jacques DP

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:03
Member (2003)
English to French
Jul 11, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I need to search the content of multiple Word files (all in the same folder) under Vista / Word 2007.

I thought using the Search box of the File Explorer folder might work, but it doesn't. And trying the advanced search there doesn't work either.

From Word, I don't see how it can be done, either.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Funduc Jul 11, 2009

http://www.searchandreplace.com/

HTH

Antonin

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Actually my files are RTF Jul 11, 2009

It appears the reason why the Vista Explorer Search function doesn't work is because my files are actually RTF, not DOC. The Explorer Search function does seem to work on DOC files, as I have just verfied.

So now I would like to batch convert the RTFs into DOCs. I see there are many utilities that supposingly do that. If anyone has (good) experience with any of them, I'd be interested.

Antonin: Thanks, but that is a binary file utility, and therefore essentially useless for document files. I did have a try anyway, and it did fail at providing basic text search in RTF files.

Thanks.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
I think Jul 11, 2009

Plustools can do this... AFAIK

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=plustools&lang=engb

Regards

FCT

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
What I did Jul 11, 2009

Thanks for the suggestion about PlusTools. I see it is (c) 2004, so I guess integration in Word 2007 is not necessarily obvious. In fact I added it to the active templates but couldn't access its functions.

For the record, I used http://www.softinterface.com/Convert-Doc\Foreign\French\Convertir-PDF.HTM to convert the RTFs to DOCs. It worked, though of course I know nothing about it and it may damage your computer.

Now the File Explorer search function works.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:03
English to French
+ ...
Exalead Desktop Jul 11, 2009

I have been using the free version of Exalead Desktop to search files on my computer (it also searches the Web). It is very handy to search bilingual Word documents, text TMs, PDFs and a bunch of other file formats.

Once the results are displayed, you can browse through the document within Exalead, and there is a handy button to open the original document using its default application. I find this very handy for searching e-mails as well (you can even view the attachments). Search criteria are advanced - date, author, file format, location, etc., and you can infinitely combine criteria. You can even exclude strings from your search. The interface is clean and user-friendly. It is also very fast.

You can download it here: http://www.exalead.com/software/products/desktop-search/

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You could have a more careful look at Funduc options Jul 11, 2009

Jacques DP wrote:

Antonin: Thanks, but that is a binary file utility, and therefore essentially useless for document files. I did have a try anyway, and it did fail at providing basic text search in RTF files.

Thanks.

You might have overlooked that there is a freeware version applicable to Word documents only (while the binary version you are speaking about is paid-for). I am not sure about W2007, but I suppose it gives you an option of easily converting docx to doc?

I do not think rtf format would be a problem either.

Antonin

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Antonin and Viktoria Jul 11, 2009

Antonin: You are absolutely right, thank you for insisting and correcting my mistake!

Viktoria: Thanks for your suggestion as well. I used to use Google Desktop, which seems to provide similar functionality.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:03
English to French
+ ...
Similar, yes--same, no Jul 12, 2009

Jacques DP wrote:

Viktoria: Thanks for your suggestion as well. I used to use Google Desktop, which seems to provide similar functionality.

I have also used Google desktop as well, but I didn't like it for translation-related searches. Exalead Desktop is very similar to Google Desktop, but its interface and search methods are much better suited for the work we do, in my opinion. Don't let the similarity fool you.

Traduloc
Spain
English to Spanish
examine Jul 12, 2009

Try this:
www.examine32.com/

It can search on a wide lot of file formats...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Our option Jul 12, 2009

Effective File Search: http://www.sowsoft.com/search.htm. It searches anything and in anything. Works beautifully, although it is not freeware (costs US$ 29.99, well worth the purchase in my opinion).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching in multiples Word files

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search