Thread poster: Evi Wollinger

Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:54
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2009

Finally I have finished my huge translation, have updated the index and it works fine - and followed Peter's advice about updating the table of contents:

insert - index and tables - table of contents -- and it works fine, too, thank you!

But - now I have two table of contents in my document, one in German, one in English and the English one has undefined bookmarks.

Most of the headings in my document tell me "error, source not defined", although the German table of contents works fine.

I am just about at my wit's end (actually, I am!) and don't know what I can do to fix this mess.

How do I get rid of the second table of contents? And how do I make the headers find their source reference?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:54
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Tables of contents are created automatically Jul 14, 2009

Based on the headings - in your document.

If you want to get rid of a table of contents it should be enough to delete it it is a so called "field", if you want to update it you right click and choose update field, and subsequently update entire table of contents - I am not sure of the exact wording as I am translating it from Polish.

I believe that this should help

Stanislaw

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cannot update Jul 14, 2009

My problem is that I get an error message when I update fields, it says "no table of content entries defined"

If I go to insert - index and tables and then table of contents - it works and it updates my table of contents. But - I appear to have two table of contents, in the source document as well - and when I go to update it with using insert, the two tables get mixed up into one, and I have a total mess.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Delete source language ToC Jul 14, 2009

Further to our discussion, I think you need to delete entirely the source language ToC and generate the target language ToC are using the Headings styles and then inserting a ToC

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to delete TOC Jul 14, 2009

Do I do this by activating field codes and then deleting the line of code?

How do you delete a TOC?

I have deleted the line of code and re-inserted the table of contents, it makes no difference, except now there is only one table of contents and not two - but it is still wrong, because it is a combination out of the two original ones

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Evi Jul 14, 2009

Are you trying to create a TOC in an uncleaned document?

Natalia

[Edited at 2009-07-14 16:58 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No.. Jul 14, 2009

Hi Natalia,

No, in a cleaned document.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Maybe the styles are corrupted Jul 14, 2009

And you don't have proper headings in your text?

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 21:54
English to Spanish
Check you're using styles in your headings Jul 14, 2009

Hi Evi,

Make sure the headings you want to include in the TOC are formatted using Word's heading styles, that is, Heading 1 through 9. If not, you have to apply heading styles to all of them and then create the TOC. It is advisable that you delete paragraph and character styles created by your CAT tool.

Finally, check in the TOC dialog box which styles you want to build the TOC from. By default this is set to use Headings 1-9, that's why you have to use these specific styles. However, if your headings are using styles other than Word's H1-9, you can set these as the source for the TOC.

I hope this helps. Good Luck

Rodrigo

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hmm Jul 14, 2009

Evi Wollinger wrote:

No, in a cleaned document.

There is still something I don't understand. If you say the document is cleaned you should have the TOC only in one language (no matter, corrupted or not) - but not in both source and target languages. Something is obviously wrong with your document...

Natalia

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 14, 2009

Thank you very much, Rodrigo.
How do I determine which style the heading is using?

That might very well be part of the problem, I have looked at those options.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
You may find it useful Jul 14, 2009

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA011876141033.aspx

BR
S

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:54
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Peter Jul 14, 2009

I agree with Peter: I think you need to block the table of contents that is left over from the source document (if you put the cursor in it, it will turn grey) and press the delete button. Then you need to make sure all your headings in the target text are formatted with styles (choose from the list in the toolbar, to the left of the font name), i.e., Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. Then you should be able to insert a new table of contents from scratch using those headings.

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 21:54
English to Spanish
Use the Style and Formatting Panel Jul 15, 2009

Open the Styles and Formatting pane under the Format Menu. The pane will show you all the styles used in the document.

To know which style has been applied to a paragraph, place the cursor within that paragraph and the style will be highlighted in the Style and Formatting pane.

If no specific style has been applied, you have to apply one yourself. To apply a style, place the cursor in the paragraph you want to format and click on one of the heading styles (Heading 1 through 9) from the Styles and Formatting pane. You have to be consistent; use the same style for heading at the same level, starting with Heading 1 for top-level headings down to Heading 9 for the lowest level.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Table of Contents

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search